Kitty Hawk's OV-10 A/C Main Wing Update 9/8/2017

Joel_W

With the exception of the gear and a few little minor niggles along the way its actually a really fun kit to build the fits excellently

Yeah, I've read the same on another build.

I have the kit. Actually, the first ever kit I bought from KH as I really like the look of that plane.

I'll be following Joel's build as it's good to know how to overcome any challenges as they come up. 

Spros,

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Seats went from basic boring to a few notches up the scale. part fit so far is excellent, but I'm modifying or replacing so much in the cockpit that it's a real challenge. But I do have one major gripe, EJECTOR PIN MARKS. I can't believe just how many of these suckers there are, and they're everywhere. The rear bulkhead for the rear seat that the IP will seat on has 5 of them, 4 that are seen. removing each of them takes time and effort.  But I'm determined to make this a competitive entry for the Noreastcon & Mosquitocon next year. At least as good as my skill level will allow me.

Joel

Good stuff Joel! I'm sure you can do it!

Looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:

Joel,

How'd you sneak this one past me?  Heck of a kit to work on, judging by the ejector pin marks.  You've done great work on those seats and the seat belts look great!

Gaz

I saw a Bronco last Fall at the Air Force Museum in Dayton. It's cockpit was so impressively detailed and visible,  I figured a well built LSP would be something else right then.  Watching this one closely. Good luck! 

Jim,

Nothing like a little added pressure  :frantic: One of the reasons I picked the OV-10A as my current build, beside that fact that Attack aircraft are my favorite types, is it's twin booms and highly visible cockpit through its Greenhouse. I'm planning on detailing it the best I'm capable of, which isn't all that much. In any event, I'm glad to have you along for the ride. 

Joel

Yeah, I've read the same on another build.

I have the kit. Actually, the first ever kit I bought from KH as I really like the look of that plane.

I'll be following Joel's build as it's good to know how to overcome any challenges as they come up. 

Good stuff Joel! I'm sure you can do it!

Looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:

Spyros,

Not so sure I can over come all the challenges that KH has presented in this kit, but I'm going to give it my best try.  Like I said, so far the fit is excellent, which off sets the massive number of visible ejector pin marks. But who knows what lurks behind the next door (step). So pull up a chair for the ride as Harv has his usual massive supply of popcorn ready to go.  :popcorn: 

Joel

Joel,

How'd you sneak this one past me?  Heck of a kit to work on, judging by the ejector pin marks.  You've done great work on those seats and the seat belts look great!

Gaz

hey Gary,

Just knew that you'd find my OV-10 build sooner or later. Glad that you like my modest efforts to date. Lets see how the cockpit actually turns out, as it's a major part of the build for me. 

Joel

Very clever fix for those ejector pin marks Joel. As I was reading your post I said to myself, I would have covered the area with a piece of sheet plastic. When I scrolled down and saw your fix, I smiled and said there ya go. Great work so far on what sounds like a very challenging build.

Steve

Very clever fix for those ejector pin marks Joel. As I was reading your post I said to myself, I would have covered the area with a piece of sheet plastic. When I scrolled down and saw your fix, I smiled and said there ya go. Great work so far on what sounds like a very challenging build.

Steve

Steve, 

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my progress. 

The fix works because it's a confined area, but for large wide open spaces it's back to my old friend Mr. Bondo.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally finished the cockpit minus the front IP installation as that step comes next, so it's time for another update.

The cockpit tub received a base coat of Mig Ammo Black primer as did the front wheel well that has to be attached to the cockpit assembly. My apologies for all the sanding dust still in the Pit

PH3B1E.jpg

uHu4b5.jpg

I sanded off the rear instrument Panel as I was using the excellent Eduard interior PE set that contains both the front and rear IPs.

lrVYVF.jpg

The clear lenses were made with a Pledge applied with toothpick

ZmnrdI.jpg

The cockpit pre-dates solid state circuitry as evident with the mass of white bundled wires on both sides of the pit.  Here's just one view of one side of the rear of the cockpit.

otIyWA.jpg

The question was how to simulate those bundles, and just how much to add. I started out with copper wire twisted into bundles but just wasn't happy with the results of trying to make each bundle conform to the numerous compound curves.  So I then tried some .4mm round lead wire from UMM-USA. Worked like a charm as far as twisting 3 strands into each bundle. I used thin strips of Masking tape for the bundle ties. Each bundle was painted with Tamiya XF-2 White flat, and the straps were painted with Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black rather then plain old black, as the Nato black has a much nicer scale appearance.  I then added the wire bundles around the entire cockpit to give it that busy look, but I tried not to over due it. 

Re8mz1.jpg

57xkri.jpg

I dry fitted the ejection seats to get a feel for the effect I tried to achieve

fZSnEv.jpg

C3p5zl.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my progress to date. It's always much appreciated.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Loving it Joel. I especially like how you decided to build up the wires. It really adds some life to the from office.

Tony,

Thanks for checking out the Bronco to date, it's always much appreciated. Those wire harnesses were one of the main reasons I picked this kit to build. Honestly, I've never quite seen anything like that in a Pit before. 

Joel

Taking a time out as I need to vent  :BANGHEAD2: 

I'm working on the main wing assembly, and honestly in all the years I've been modeling, I've never, ever seen anything like this. Whomever designed it, as well as his supervisors who approved it, should have been directly taken outside and executed. :fight:  That's how bad this assembly is. 

the main wing is comprised of 3 sections: a middle section and two outer sections, totaling 7 pieces, with the middle section having 3 pieces. The outer sections carry the complete load of the engine booms and landing gear.  The main section has 4 mounting pins, but no receptacle for them, so alignment isn't exactly a positive sure thing. The back surface is where the flaps attach and all you have is the square holes to create the correct alignment. Unfortunately, if you glue them flush to each other, the leading edges don't align correctly. 

AqwvK4.jpg

the three sections are glued together by basically a butt joint with a VERY narrow lip, and the wing surfaces are on the thin side. So the gluing surface is questionable at best, and there is an excellent chance of wing twisting and or bowing from the weight of the engine booms and landing gear.  I've seen a few builds that have used square tubing to reinforce the three sections of the wing. I'm going to go with a few pieces of rod, one towards the leading edge, and the other one towards the flap square holes. 

A better option would have been to design a one piece top wing for strength, and alignment pins that actually have some place to align to. 

Rant over. Now back to staring at the parts, hoping for a miracle that all will be well, but I have my doubts. 

Joel