RAAF 20th anniversary hornet - the perils of polishing 23/12

ClumsyDude

Nice idea on the pipes Jim!

I'll be stealing that idea from you!  :innocent:  :whistle:

Thanks Spyros! As with pretty much all my techniques, it wasn't my idea - I stole the idea of Joel_W on his A-4 build (although he referred to it in terms of attaching piping to gear legs), so you'll need to make the royalty cheque out to him. One of many reasons I love LSP!

Beautiful (and quite persistent ;) ) job on this one, Jim.

A generic question, not specific to this build, about white wheel wells. My understanding is they are white in order to make it easier for the maintenance crews to spot any leaks. Therefore, whils a degree of grime is understandable, if only because the wheels and the braking of them when retracting the gear will generate dust and grime, but shouldn't therefore the wheel wells be basically "clean white" ? I started to have this interrogation a long time ago, in errand times when I was working on a 1/48 (aaaargh !) Tamiya (re-aaaaargh - not resin ;) !) F-16 (re-re- aaaargh !, a jet !) back in the 90s ...

Hubert

G'day Hubert, I certainly don't see a problem with your logic. In practice, particularly once the gear wells are covered in wash, I reckon I'd be hard put to tell the difference between off-white and white ... I kind of think of it as a scale effect, but really I think it's one of those things that's down to personal preference.

This is really coming along nicely.  Great idea with the tail guide!  Love it...

Bryan

Thanks Bryan! There's a laser cut one you can get for a 1/48 hornet which is what gave me the inspiration ... but it's much cheaper when you make it yourself!

Thanks everyone for checking in.

Cheers

Jim

Guest Peterpools

Jmm

Holy Cow, just getting my breath back - absolutely beautiful work and your build techniques are amazing.

I'm still taking notes on the wheel wheels and the aluminum tape . what a great idea and I'll be using them on the A6 for sure.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Andy, me too ... spent a couple of hours last night laying down some more masks and I think they're even(ish) ... just got the big showpiece masks on the wings, and the fuselage stars, and we'll be ready for colour. At least after all the cleanup, masking sol, rescribing etc ... so probably another couple of weeks, realistically.

Jim

Brilliant and i love the Sponge Bob Pj's too

Haha SPRUNG!! My daughters love watching SpongeBob with me (I've never graduated from my 12 year old sense of humour) so I get loads of SpongeBob presents ... I take my daddy daughter time when I can get it!

Cheers

Jim

Ok, not a huge update today ... I've been hard at it getting the masking done, and (once I've sprayed the nav lights and masked the wheel wells, not sure how I'm going to manage that), I'll be ready to lay down some colour. Might not look like much, but there's a good ten hours of work at least in this, possibly more.

Here we are with the first of the rear fuselage stripes. Note the extra thin guide tape that was needed - it has to lie straight over a lot of complicated curves and a regular-length tape wouldn't lie flat.

36454163090_1678bfb877_b.jpg

Lines up pretty well with the forward fuse, at least on the left ... the starboard side has a bit of a kink.

36454166120_7e4879e130_k.jpg

36679804452_79004faad6_k.jpg

Top rear mask ...

36016101014_920273eef7_b.jpg

Stars on ... the outer ones took a while as they sit within the walkway stripe, so had to be painstakingly aligned.

36016107814_832298f8d6_k.jpg

Note the flap taped in place ahead of wing masking.

36016115654_d8d2b00069_k.jpg

More in a minute.

Ok, been waiting for this for a while ... wing masks on!

36016123084_4813a3e2ef_k.jpg

36850470775_57cbbbf458_k.jpg

Finally - middle masks weeded out, and touch up masks applied to prevent overspray around bumps (learned about this the hard way on the tails).

36454178290_74a43fcba5_b.jpg

36454183430_2488b5ce08_b.jpg

36454189070_b24e6d085f_b.jpg

36454196870_275d98e3d4_b.jpg

Note the little bits of tape used to ensure alignment of the masks across adjacent parts ...

36679843762_dbfaf4859a_b.jpg

36679847302_3400fdf84c_b.jpg

Thanks for watching ... will hopefully have some colour for y'all next time around!

Jim

Man! This is certainly an exercise in patience and persistence....... Your masking and clear coat efforts are utterly inspiring Jim..... It's builds like this that motivate me to get better at my painting skills.

This will be an absolute stunner when you're done mate :)

Craig

Thanks Craig, that means a lot ... from a bloke who I reckon knows a thing or two about persistence!

Cheers

Jim