Photo

jack's JACK is Done...what color is that spinner?

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:37 AM

cPlnUnq.jpgAs things start to wrap up on the MENG KIDS Bit O' Lace, I started thinking about

my build for my club contest in March when I saw my favorite subject...Jurrasic Plastic.

I sponsored a Special Category at our contest...Classic Plastic.

I haven't had much luck finishing a GB lately, so this comes at a good time.

Having been collecting Classic Plastic kits for a few years it was time to decide

on what to build that I can build for the OOB category which is the way I planned

to build these kits anyway. So after looking at the list of what is on various benches

I realized that Revel should have some more representation from the early 70's when

I was in high school and cutting my teeth on all the Revel 32ed scale line.

Introducing the 1972 Revel Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden..Code named  Jack by jackQAgENUT.jpg

Edited by marauderdriver, 12 February 2017 - 12:52 AM.

• D Bellis, R Palimaka, Rick Griewski and 7 others like this

bddb4135-4c76-4763-a001-43cedb78b2fa.jpgGonna get back to this ...One of These Days

#2 Bill_S

Bill_S

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:38 AM

Awesome!

• harvey and marauderdriver like this

I started building my shelf of doom, but I never finished it.

#3 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:43 AM

Now here is a Revel kit from 1972 with retracts, removable top cowl, spinning prop and sliding canopy,

But the biggest mind blower is recessed panel lines and rivets....Why did it take so long for others to catch-on?W08FKrD.jpgHgpEnq5.jpg 

• Martinnfb, r0t0rdr1ver, harvey and 7 others like this

bddb4135-4c76-4763-a001-43cedb78b2fa.jpgGonna get back to this ...One of These Days

#4 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:49 AM

The decals don't look to bad and may try to sun bleach them. I've used 35 year old Monogram P-61 decals before.

I know markings are an option and just in case will keep the finish open. Also "Proof of Age" copyright 1972In3Elfl.jpg

Edited by marauderdriver, 07 December 2016 - 03:52 AM.

• Azgaron, Martinnfb, r0t0rdr1ver and 5 others like this

#5 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,812 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:14 AM

So cool Jack. I have one also so will tag along!!....Harv
  • marauderdriver and mpk like this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#6 Lee White

Lee White

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

Noice!! I agree, that kit was way ahead of its time. About those decals- Sun bleaching them will work, but it took 5 months for my heavily-yellowed Heller Super Frelon decals to clear up. I have heard of people using nail lamps with success, but i have no first-hand knowledge of this. 

http://www.sears.com...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

• williamj, harvey, marauderdriver and 1 other like this

1/35 AH-56A Cheyenne-DONE!
1/32 Yak-38- Done!

1/32 F-111C for the ABIM Group Build!

#7 Shaka HI

Shaka HI

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:32 AM

I've never seen this kit before...didn't even think Revell could produce something like this back then either. I'll be following.

• harvey, marauderdriver and mpk like this

#8 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 38,460 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

Very nice choice, Jack! And interestingly, this box art is subtly different from the one we have in the kit database, so is clearly a different release. Can I trouble you for a nice, square, front-on photo of it? I'd love to add it to our database.

Kev

• harvey, Shawn M, marauderdriver and 1 other like this

#9 dennismcc

dennismcc

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:35 AM

This should be interesting, I had 2 of those in the stash but sold them and replaced them with the latest Hasegawa kit so never got to build them.

Cheers

Dennis

• harvey, MARU5137, marauderdriver and 1 other like this

#10 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,929 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

Nice!

Some of the old kits had some amazing recessed details, the Spitfire and KI-61 come to mind.

The rest we're all raised.

I dont suffer from AMS, I revell in it..get it...Revell

#11 Ted Barrett

Ted Barrett

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

Great choice Jack!

I remember building a Jack in my parents recroom using our ping pong table back when the kit first came out.  For it's time it was a very nice kit.

Can't wait to see your progress!

Ted

#12 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

So cool Jack. I have one also so will tag along!!....Harv

Hey Harv, hope to have "ME" on the bench this weekend. Please 'TAG" me if I start to wonder off as I want to finish this GB. T'anks Pal

Noice!! I agree, that kit was way ahead of its time. About those decals- Sun bleaching them will work, but it took 5 months for my heavily-yellowed Heller Super Frelon decals to clear up. I have heard of people using nail lamps with success, but i have no first-hand knowledge of this. 

http://www.sears.com...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds   Thanks Lee, I was pleasantly surprised the decals appeared to be in pretty good shape, with a minimal yellowing. My problem is finding a place "in the sun" as none of my windows get direct sunlight. I hope to use them to keep it as Revel intended.....I just don't think they were thinking 45 years.

I've never seen this kit before...didn't even think Revell could produce something like this back then either. I'll be following.

Revell had a few back in the day that can rival todays kits....sorta! They still had some working features that some "Grown-ups" didn't (don't) like, but since I'm a Toys R Us Kid and DO NOT plan to grow up any time soon, I'm good with them. Thanks

Very nice choice, Jack! And interestingly, this box art is subtly different from the one we have in the kit database, so is clearly a different release. Can I trouble you for a nice, square, front-on photo of it? I'd love to add it to our database.

Kev

Thanks Kev, I'll post the pictures tonight. I saw the subtleties between the art work. My box has a 1971 date and the instructions say 72, same H-288 kit number  

This should be interesting, I had 2 of those in the stash but sold them and replaced them with the latest Hasegawa kit so never got to build them.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis..I was fortunate that Hasegawa came out with theirs as it dropped the price on the Revell kit. As an Old Fart I'm much more interested in this kit. if it fits even close it should turn out decent....

Nice!

Some of the old kits had some amazing recessed details, the Spitfire and KI-61 come to mind.

The rest we're all raised.

Thanks Shawn, I have a couple of the Tony's and will pick up a Spit when the price is right..also looking for the Bf-109G and Beaufighter

Great choice Jack!

I remember building a Jack in my parents recroom using our ping pong table back when the kit first came out.  For it's time it was a very nice kit.

Can't wait to see your progress!

Ted

Thanks Ted, I want to build my Classics OOB but with some new tools and more experience and PATIENCE, Hope to get her on the bench this weekend

• harvey, MARU5137, Shaka HI and 1 other like this

#13 r0t0rdr1ver

r0t0rdr1ver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

Great choice Jack, look forward to seeing this one come to life :)

#14 Mr b

Mr b

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:48 AM

Lovely choice .....and looking good for its age.......them revell oldies are diamonds in the ruff......hope to see it done up soon Jack

Rgds

Brian

#15 mgbooyv8

mgbooyv8

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

Nice to see one of these build!

I didn't know it had recessed panel lines.

Cheers,

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users