Carrier-Based Corsair Bubble Tops (USMC?)

Bill Cross

As in Flying Leathernecks Movie we have to move to that dust bowl. Yeah My family is from there to :thumbsup:       Live south of there now :coolio:       Also know you are a tank guy to Bill. The USMC Piranha tank turrets are made right off of Holster ave north of the Base.

Six degrees of separation? My mother told me about how when she was growing up in the Depression she was traumatized by seeing families driving by her father's farm with everything they owned in their cars ala "The Grapes of Wrath."

Pity the ASLAV-25 Piranha isn't supposed to be one of Trumpy's better kits. I love all things USMC even though the Corps did wrong by my dad at the end of his career.

I've got some Fundekals ordered for carrier based F4U-1A's (aka Corsair II's and III's if that's any hint to what I ordered).  I also just spent some money with HLJ for another -1A (I'm bummed about missing the scratch & dent sale Tamiya had on the -1A so I just had to have some retail therapy :) ).  That'll make one USN -1A in three tone and one -1A in FAA three tone.  What a combination!  Bill, if you ask me (and I'm bulldozing my way in here...apologies) I'd build your -1A as a USMC land-based Corsair and when they release the -1D, then you can really do the carrier based jar-head squadrons justice.  My personal favorite is VMF-312 (checkerboard cowl and rudder).  I think that they were transferred to Okinawa after it's capture by US Forces in 1945.

Edited by Juggernut

Bill,

You could do an Essex-based VMF-124 or 213 from late '44/early '45.  They had some early -1Ds with the braced canopy and 13' 4" prop but without rocket stubs, all in Gloss Sea Blue.  Some may not even have had the pylons since they are using the centerline rack for the drop tank.  It appears that some were passed on to VBF-83 as there are photos of the same early types with the CVG-83 G-Symbols.

Brent