25 replies to this topic

#16 Barry

Barry

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,009 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

Hi Gary,
I am about to order a set of your burner cans and exhausts for the Tamiya F-4J but can't see how you attach them to the fuselage given that they are not attached via the Tamiya attachment points.
Would you mind providing some info or diagrams about how your are fitted please?

cheers,
Peter

Peter,

I highly recommend building up the Tamiya kit parts and studying the alignment with respect to the X, Y and Z axis of the fuselage and the engines and in derstanding how they fit to the fuselage. The engines in the Phantom are at an angle with respect to the fuselage C/L. The other thought is keeping them at the same angles with respect to each other. With no positive means of alignment this "could" me an issue.

My 2 Cents,
Barry
  • ghatherly likes this

#17 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:21 PM

Hey Peter,  Barry brings up some good points about the alignment.    What I do is make the reveal of the engine the same on the trim at the back of the fuselage where you glue the engine to the fuselage.   When I get the reveal the same all the way around the engine, the offsets and angles Barry brings up are counted for.    At least for modeling concerns!   :rolleyes:  Having mounts inside makes for a slightly easier installation,  but it locks it the position that the mount dictates and if those are installed wrong you are stuck with an assembled model and crooked exhausts.   Being the right size, the exhausts are held snugly in place by the fuselage  while you adjust them and then set them with thin CA.  

One thin I found very interesting, is Phantom engines can be installed differently from each other front to back, and one may stick out further than the other one and be a perfectly normal installation.   I first saw this on active F-4C’s with the MANG some years ago and in some display phantoms.   I don’t remember the reason why this is, so maybe Barry or one of the other guys who know the jet first hand can elaborate on this. 

One of the reasons for having the forum here is to get feedback on what I can do better.  IF an alignment/mount inside would make things easier, I am happy to make one up and send it along with the sets.

Great question, Great input and thanks Barry for helping out,  much appreciated!

Haver a great day,

Gary

Many Thanks, Gary

email:   garyhatherly@gtresinproducts.com.      

Web Site:   www.gtresinproducts.com

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-4

dd34971d-1dff-4d25-b610-dddb8f8ab69c_zps

#18 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hi Gary, how do Revell long exhausts look compared to yours? any pics?

I know Revell cans are (maybe?) correct in diameter so I was wondering what we can add buying your full exhaust sets rather than use the kit ones or the CAM exhausts (resin copies of the Revell ones).

I have a lot of Tamiya F-4Js in my stash so if I could visually appreciate the improvements of GTR exhausts over the Revell ones I could buy several sets .

many thanks and greetings.

Luca

Edited by Luca, 03 January 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#19 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

I don't know what you are referring to with Revell Exhausts. Ours are our design for both the Tamiya and Revell kits, And they are different size in the long can as the Tamiya kit has a bigger hole to fill and one that is the correct size. The Revell kits, even the new tool ones are smaller than scale, hence a smaller diameter can.

As for the older CAM being a copy of Revell, that is false. Where do some of you guys get this misinformation from?

Edited by ghatherly, 07 July 2017 - 02:21 PM.

Many Thanks, Gary

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-4

#20 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

Tamiya F-4E/J/EJ early Phantom II Tweaks List Version 1.2

http://www.largescal...weaks/F-4EJ.php

"Afterburner nozzles are much too small in diameter. Replace with correct diameter resin ones or some from Revell F-4E/F-RF-4C/E kits".

also somewhere read CAM were copies of the Revell ones sorry but now I can't remember and I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by Luca, 03 January 2017 - 01:40 PM.

#21 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

Tamiya F-4E/J/EJ early Phantom II Tweaks List Version 1.2

http://www.largescal...weaks/F-4EJ.php

"Afterburner nozzles are much too small in diameter. Replace with correct diameter resin ones or some from Revell F-4E/F-RF-4C/E kits".

also somewhere read CAM were copies of the Revell ones sorry but now I can't remember and I'm not 100% sure.

No worries.    Remember back in the day that the kit swapping was the most efficient way to make changes in modeling happen.   Now that we have CAD and access to actual planes, engines, etc.... and drawings parts can be created in a way that was only dreamed of a decade ago.    With all of the new offerings not only form us but from the industry as a whole,   I caution everyone to take these old tweet lists cautiously for they are valuable in calling out the errors, while remembering that the fixes are out of date. 

Edited by ghatherly, 07 July 2017 - 02:22 PM.

Many Thanks, Gary

#22 anj4de

anj4de

LSP Member

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

Hello Gary

Just sent you a mail...

thanks

Uwe

Edited by anj4de, 07 July 2017 - 10:33 AM.

#23 anj4de

anj4de

LSP Member

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

My set arrived this morning! I am happy...since they are a re-cast of the excellent CAM set that went OOP years ago! Casting is nice, the will look great once mounted. Gray is GT, yellow is CAM...

20170717_121758_zpsefnalvx6.jpg
20170717_121830_zpsycbr1ei8.jpg
20170717_122001_zpsliu9zibd.jpg
20170717_121944_zps0s7c0nau.jpg

• Bill Cross likes this

#24 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

My set arrived this morning! I am happy...since they are a re-cast of the excellent CAM set that went OOP years ago! Casting is nice, the will look great once mounted. Gray is GT, yellow is CAM...

20170717_121830_zpsycbr1ei8.jpg
20170717_122001_zpsliu9zibd.jpg

HI,

Glad you like them.   FYI,  Joe Lorte,  member here on LSP was the creator of they set for us with the Nozzles and Exhaust tubes. The engine rear face is in house work.  Joe did similar work of CAM years ago and sold directly on E bay for years until deciding to work with us.     

Many Thanks, Gary

#25 shark64

shark64

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

To uy7y

#26 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

which brand is the exhausts in the middle? it looks undersized in length and diameter comparing to the other two

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users