REEDOAK Figures....Review.

williamj

Ok, I give up!

Before expanding on the comment in the previous sentence, I have to agree, the fidelity of the figures is simply OUTSTANDING!!

However, I'm a little flummoxed - REEDOAK's official title includes the term "Rubber Composites". Are the figures actually rubber based? And if so, can conventional model paints (either enamel or acrylic) be used? (My experience with rubber based products is limited, but any I've run into have a dreadful time with ANY type of paint.)

I've searched REEDOAK's website and their FaceBook page, and can't find any reference to these products being rubber based - are they, or are they composed of a more forgiving material?

Norm. 

Ok, I give up!

Before expanding on the comment in the previous sentence, I have to agree, the fidelity of the figures is simply OUTSTANDING!!

However, I'm a little flummoxed - REEDOAK's official title includes the term "Rubber Composites". Are the figures actually rubber based? And if so, can conventional model paints (either enamel or acrylic) be used? (My experience with rubber based products is limited, but any I've run into have a dreadful time with ANY type of paint.)

I've searched REEDOAK's website and their FaceBook page, and can't find any reference to these products being rubber based - are they, or are they composed of a more forgiving material?

Norm.

Yes the term is misleading....they are composed of a high quality resin. no worries.

Yes the term is misleading....they are composed of a high quality resin. no worries.

Thanks William. Much relieved.

As I may not be the only pedantic ol' f**t in their potential market, REEDOAK may just want to make that distinction somewhere in their promotional materials and communication sites.

Norm.

Norbert uses a very high resolution 3D printer, and the resin (ABS-based I think) that goes with it is up to par with this resolution.

And you cannot beat the idea of scanning real people in 3D for the realism :).

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

The nicest figurine on the market....seen it with my eyes....amazing! Longer ahead ALPINES for example....

Of course, not very cheap....but aouh!at any scale...

Norbert is a gentleman, a kind guy and an excellent modeller...who live near St Etienne..."Allez les verts!"

Fab

Hi

Back from a scantrip in an airbase in eastern France...

Rubber composites : It is my professional speciality, and when I was fired, I started my own company and worked first this thematic, with a few patents. That means rubber/metal/fibers material (for exemple Aramide/Aisi 316L/Chloropren sandwitches).

And no, our figures are not made in rubber, but in a grey Resin that is a compromise between sharpness, production time and capacity, and modeller compatibility (grey colour, "reasonnable" heigh costs, capacity to be painted, primed, glued)

I admit rubber composites is somewhat misleading, will have to find time to separate resin and rubber.

Between new products, printing, shipping, scanning, paper-work, website is somewhat sacrified. In addition, with over 180 references now (due to the different scales) it is quite impossible to show each reference painted as it is usualy made by every figure producer. 

Anyway, I understand everybody is not connected to facebook, and showing the products in websites like here is probably not sufficient. I feel I must take time to find out how to improve our website

I'm very gratefull for your interest in our products, and hope to give larger choice in the future.

Norbert

Just finished reading a review over on Armorama about what is billed as "the first complete 3D printed kit".  It's a 1/35 Hotchkiss H39 by ETS35.  What's intriguing about this kit is, it's available in modular form, meaning you can purchase it in your choice of modular units -- with or without interior, French or German versions, choice of track links, choice of main guns, etc. 

Many members here on this forum have expressed frustration at the near impossibility of producing a scale model of certain aircraft, like the B-24, for instance, which was manufactured in an almost infinite number of variations.  Could it be that this new production method will be the answer to our prayers?  That one day in the near future we'll be able to order the kit of our dreams configured just the way we want? 

If so, we may truly be entering a Golden Age of Modeling!

Jerry Peterson 

Guest Peterpools

No question, this is the future. Just look at the history how kits have been designed and manufactured from the end of WWII through today. There is no reason to doubt that as technology improves, 3D printing will be a major part of the process.

Peter

I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!!

I think one distinct possibility is that one could simply access the print file online and print it yourself at home, selecting only the parts and variations you want. No shipping. As printers get better and more affordable, this could happen.

This is already being done on a limited basis for some other products, and many companies are looking into it long term, as I understand it.

Edited by BiggTim

I think one distinct possibility is that one could simply access the print file online and print it yourself at home, selecting only the parts and variations you want. No shipping. As printers get better and more affordable, this could happen.

I think that if printers DO become exponentially better, this IS a real possibility!   How utterly awesome would it be for not only the modeler, but the manu as well to offer a HUGE variety of versions, a HUGE variety of options, NOT have to ship huge LSP kits all over, as well as having to have 0 tooling or molds required to put out a great kit.

I can see a LOT of possibilities with that idea, once the printer technology catches up and becomes more mainstream, affordable and more precise. 

Those look terrific!

I was more than thinking about the type of 3D printing that is on some kit technology today.......good but not perfectly smooth like those figures.

My Icaerodesigns Extra 300 internal frame comes to mind. I'm not sure if the technology is different or not, but those figures look much smoother DPI wise than anything I've seen that was 3D printed in a kit.

Edited by Out2gtcha