P-80 Shooting Star

Dukie99

I will join the Korea GB with the Special Hobby P-80 Shooting Star. I am new to the Forum so please be gentle, I can only aspire to the skills displayed by the LSP members and the site has been very inspirational. I have restarted model building two years ago after a 25 year break and I am amazed at the choice and quality of the kits these days. So far I have built only 4 1/32 WW2 birds (the old Hasegawa Hellcat, Zero and Fw190 and the more recent Trumpeter Bf-109E) and some 1/35 armor. I am currently finishing the ZM Skyraider in USAF scheme and while the kit is amazing, I have to admit it was a bit too much for my level.

The P-80 will be my first jet, my first limited edition kit and my first NMF so maybe it will be a bit much but I love the line of the P-80 and I plan to enjoy the learning process. I have not yet decided on the markings but I know that it will be carrying Napalm cans (inspired by my recent read of the book of Bob Neer: Napalm an American Biography, which is an excellent read). I am still waiting for some aftermarket items and then I will get going. Thank you all in advance for the support and advice and I will post my box shots as soon as I figure out how to post pictures.

Welcome to the Group Build and  :post1:   :m0152:

Anything we can do to help or offer advice or guidance, spare parts, funny jokes etc, you just let us know.

Looking forward to seeing your project.

Please do take a picture before you start showing what you're working with too :)

All the best to you and your project,

Paul 

Welcome to the Group Build and  :post1:   :m0152:

Anything we can do to help or offer advice or guidance, spare parts, funny jokes etc, you just let us know.

Looking forward to seeing your project.

Please do take a picture before you start showing what you're working with too :)

All the best to you and your project,

Paul 

I wonder if he likes midgets? (inside joke Duki99)

I wonder if he likes midgets? (inside joke Duki99)

WAAAY inside ! Welcome to our home. You will love it here, I promise....Harv :post1:

Thank you for the warm welcome. To answer Harold, I do like a good racing engine but with three kids and a wife I now have to hide it under the hood of a respectable car which can actually transport them :innocent:

For this build I will use AMS cockpit and exhaust, SAC metal gear, True details wheel wells and Napalm can and Superscale decals. Everything is currently in transit and should arrive this week or the next. I will post pictures when they arrive.

I have given the kit a nice soapy bath yesterday and will get started tonight.

Here are the kit box shots. Thanks Kevin for the tutorial, I did check it out before but did not realise that it was my old version of Explorer that was preventing me from posting pictures. Apparently it works with Chrome just fine. Thanks.P-80%20Box_zpstdndvkh7.jpg

P-80%20Box2_zpsgyjtzz3s.jpg

Thank you for the warm welcome. To answer Harold, I do like a good racing engine but with three kids and a wife I now have to hide it under the hood of a respectable car which can actually transport them :innocent:

For this build I will use AMS cockpit and exhaust, SAC metal gear, True details wheel wells and Napalm can and Superscale decals. Everything is currently in transit and should arrive this week or the next. I will post pictures when they arrive.

I have given the kit a nice soapy bath yesterday and will get started tonight.

Here are the kit box shots. Thanks Kevin for the tutorial, I did check it out before but did not realise that it was my old version of Explorer that was preventing me from posting pictures. Apparently it works with Chrome just fine. Thanks.

It is a bit of a challenge, but with a little TLC, it comes out great! You'll like it..

Thank you Teresa and Dutik for the welcome. Some of the aftermarkets arrived today. The metal gears look great. I removed the molding lines and will prep them for painting tomorrow. The napalm cans are beautifully casted but unfortunately the sway braces did not like the trip to Switzerland and three out of eight are broken. I will try to scratch them from styrene sheet.

IMG_0048_zpsqhsuet9x.jpg

I dry fitted the main components and it looks like a P-80, the fit seems pretty good.IMG_0049_zps8mccughl.jpg

I also started working on the Misawa tanks, the only parts of this kit with locating tabs. They actually made the alignment more difficult so I removed them before glueing. Still waiting for the cockpit and the wheel wells to arrive, until then I will work on the gear, tanks, napalm can and the intakes. Hopefully they will arrive next week. Thank you for watching.

• 1 month later...

At Last some progress. I painted the AMS cockpit and True detail wheel wells. I went a bit overboard with the colors but I like it like that. I also poured lead shot mixed with PVA glue in the nose to having a tail-sitter. The cockpit fits very well with in the fuselage, but you really need to shave the pouring block as close possible (especially the wheel wells) to fit in. With all this resin this is becoming a heavy bird. Sorry for the shots, they are not great and they magnify all my mistakes :hmmm: Thanks for watching

IMG_0075_zpssu7caht9.jpgIMG_0077_zps2eg0uvqu.jpgIMG_0079_zpsnp5narnh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great to me!

There are supposedly some fit issues with this one (according to some reviews), so I'll watch your experience with interest.

Tim W

Edited by TimW

• 3 months later...

It is done! it has been quite an adventure and I have to admit I struggled with Alclad, silvering decals, poor fit, sanding, filling, sanding and resanding. It did learn quite a lot in the process and for this I am grateful. It does not look as good as I expected but for a first jet I will take it and I just really like the high viz scheme. I look forward to the next GB and I hope to improve my game. Thank you for watching.

P-80%20Finished3_zpszv4ahhyu.jpgP-80%20Finished2_zpsjrajlgbg.jpgP-80%20finished_zpsuax0hfcb.jpgP-80%20finished4_zpsztdnkznt.jpgP-80finished5_zpsap8uimhp.jpg