Revell BF-110G-4 Update: Now using Cyber Hobby kit....

Daniel460

Kind of veered off course last night. Thinking about those straight Eberspachers got the best of me. I started digging around and noticed the Dragon gives you two sets of exhaust headers in the E-2 trop kit. I used what would be the inside header on both engines for the set.

Some pictures.....

The headers are "Handed" . I super glued a piece of evergreen strip to the outlet side to hold the tubes together. The flange side I glued another piece to stiffen up the part when I cut the tubes off. I also marked the rear tube. (Old age) 

PmbViJ.jpg

I marked the tubes at the bottom of the bend with a straight edge.

eUAafe.jpg

And cut them with a exacto back saw.

pvrJXm.jpg

I glued up some new "tubes" using a sandwich of .40 x .125 and .20 x .125  8/32nds long. Made 10 tubes. 

rEGCrM.jpg

I glued the tubes to the header assembly. The sixth tube gets siameased into the fifth tube, I made a longer tube held it under the last two tubes marked the angles and cut them. A little thick CA and accelerator will fill the little gaps.... :whistle:

9RdCxh.jpg

The "almost" finished assembly, I didn't have any large plastic tubing so a I used a bit of brass until I can get some in from Sprue Bros. I need to put the snout on the front and a small flange between the header and the big tube. But I think it's pretty close. 

CCvOfM.jpg

I keep seeing differences in these G-4's. Some of the pictures posted by Mozart of the Schnaufer plane show what appears to be a longer tube (from the head to the collector) then the late war G-4's. I was going off pics of some destroyed G-4's in the Monogram book, which show a shorter tube. I think ole Schnaufer had the prototype G-4..... :) 

Comments suggestions always welcome..... :) 

Dan 

Great work, Dan. I'm starting to feel intimidated to start mine, now!

Kev

Thanks Kev! Get started on it! I have a long way to go on this ole girl. I think the Dragon E-2 kit will be the way to go when Pastor John gets the conversion ready. Th Revell kit has too many issues....I'm too stubborn to quit on this one now (maybe :mental: ) .  :)

Dan

Hey Dan, very tasty looking Eberspachers indeed! I've never seen a good, clear sideways picture of one so all the info I have is "circumstantial" but yours looks very convincing. Heinz Schnaufer was Kommodore of NJG 1 and as such would have had the best, the latest equipment fitted to his plane. He was always searching for extra speed to enable him to catch the Lancs, heavily laden as he was with radar antennae, so I'm sure these streamlined flamedampers helped. Keep it going my friend, and thanks for those great drawings!

Max

Thanks Gents! 

Max, the pictures in the Monogram no.18 page 29 show some new 110G-4's that were destroyed by retreating Germans. They show the siamesed rear header pipes without the collector on the plane in front.  The planes in the backround have the collectors on them. Kind of short and fat pipes. The photo's you had posted with the Schnaufer bird the pipes looked longer. I think I'm close enough....a little more detail to them once I get some plastic tubing in. They will still need to be fitted to the plane so more issues may arise..... :hmmm:

Link.....

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/var/resizes/Profiles/Monogram-Close-up/18-Bf110G-Messerschmitt/18%20Bf110G_Page_31-960.jpg

OK, need to get back into the pit....I'm back to work tomorrow so things may slow down a bit.... :doh:

Cheers,

Dan

• 1 month later...

Thanks gents!

I'm going to upset the cart here and put the Revell kit back on the shelf of doom and put all the parts into the Cyber Hobby 110 E-2. I just can't make any headway with the Revell kit, it seems to be the old one step forward and two steps back. 

I've been working on the CH kit for a few days and glued more parts together then I have in the past year! As soon as I can redo my desk (had to buy a new computer tower messed up my photo area) I'll get some pic's up.

I guess I need to retitle this and have a mod move it to the WIP forum?

Dan

Dan,

Great work so far.

I'm glad you restarted your build again.

Are you planning on using any parts from Pastor John's upcoming sets?

I have the G4 set on pre-order, so I'm waiting to start my build, but watching your build is inspiring.

I'll probably use my old Revell 110 for my planned Romanian G2

Cheers, Ian

Dan,

Great work so far.

I'm glad you restarted your build again.

Are you planning on using any parts from Pastor John's upcoming sets?

I have the G4 set on pre-order, so I'm waiting to start my build, but watching your build is inspiring.

I'll probably use my old Revell 110 for my planned Romanian G2

Cheers, Ian

Thanks Ian,

Don't know if I'll use any of Johns conversion, I might he is doing a excellent job with it!  :thumbsup:

The Revell kit requires a lot of work, it can be done, I just need to move on that's why I'm going to use the Cyber Hobby kit from here out. :)

Dan