What are the indispensable tools in your kit?

Bstarr3

I've always been a bourbon man, but the past couple of years I've developed a taste for single malt as well.  This is my current favorite...

0VxvdL.jpg

Carribean cask, what was in? Rhum? That must be good ! :)

I'm an Islay guy, love that strong sea taste.

lrgob.10yov1.jpgcilob.12yov1.jpgb

All excellent choices gentleman. Have a Laphroiag in my stash -can't be beaten on a cold winter evening.Rum cask aged Balvenie sound intriguing. Only problem is my whisky stash seems to always shrink faster than my model stash. Can't imagine why.?

But i also like the sweetness of the bourbon.

Gotta agree with Shawn about the music.

Given my geography I have to go with the malts as well and have to applaud Zero for appreciating the glorious Islay offerings. One of the few things my wife hates more than the smell of lacquer thinners is the smell of Laphroaig!

Not normally a rum fan but was recently introduced to a Peruvian one called Cartavio XO which is lovely.

lrgob.10yov1.jpgcilob.12yov1.jpg

I like some single malts, especially ones aged in different casks. Glenmorangie port cask is very nice.

I used to think all this talk of "sweet, smoky, peaty, vanilla, caramel, etc" was emperor's new clothes nonsense, because it all just tasted like alcohol and burning. But after I've developed a taste for different kinds of whisk(e)y, you really can pick out differences and subtle flavors.

All that said, sipping on a nice glass while sitting at the bench for a couple hours is a nice way to unwind.

Without any question whatsoever, my optivisor.  Couldn't manage a thing without it.

Max

I have the Tamiya version of the same thing.

It would EASILY be #1 most important thing I have as well.

It's not an issue of "can you see without it" it's an issue of "you will see tons that you never knew existed if you don't use it" regardless of how good your eyesight is.

No comparison.

I honestly think  a lot of "fit issues" are cause by guys not properly cleaning parts b/c they have left tiny imperfections on a piece that can hardly be seen unless you are using magnification.

That is why 1 modeler may have good luck getting a cockpit to sit well between 2 fuselage halves and why the next modeler has some type of problem.  

With CAD designed kits very small imperfections here and there can add up to something being all out of kilter and mis-fitting.

Magnification!  If you don't have it, get it! And it has nothing to do with how good your vision is!  

lrgob.10yov1.jpgcilob.12yov1.jpg

You like the peat monsters! 

I tried all of the big ones and didn't like a single one.

My girlfriend said my Lagavulin tasted like "hospital sanitizer" which is not entirely inaccurate.

Some have been compared to the taste of "band-aids" which is also fairly accurate.

:rofl:

But of course, to each their own!  

I'm going to have to investigate the Optivisor! I had absolutely perfect eyesight until I hit 48 last year. I can't seem to focus on anything closer than two feet away now. It's very frustrating, and I need to find a solution for that. I'm getting by with strong reading glasses at the moment.

As Sculptor said, all my tools are indispensable, but there are those that I discovered later on that I couldn't believe I had lived without. Pin vise was one, and my Trumpeter electric paint stirrer is the other. I don't know how I got by without them.

Steve

I love how quickly a discussion of must have tools evolved into a discussion about preferred types of booze!

I agree with all above that adequate lighting and magnification is the biggest improvement you can make to your work station.

Booze may be some must have tool for some people. :)

The tool i use the most on my bench is just my hobby knife with blade #11, and also my Swann Morton scalpel with rounded #15 blade.

The sanding sticks, too, espacially for resin kits with "not perfect" fit.

The white towel is a GREAT idea - especially since I'm dealing with Bob's Buckles parts right now!

Thanks - came about as a matter of necessity with the TINY PE pieces and I think Bob's Buckles qualifies.  How goes it with them?  I have the WNW Albatross trilogy as well as a couple of Revell 1/28 birds to build.  I like the Revell kits for their simplicity, but for my next builds would not mind dressing them up a bit.

Nahhhh.. It's for when you ham handed break a days worth of rigging.

Rick

Been there, done that, said many nasty words as a result...  :oops:

Speaking of photoetch, I've found a photoetch pencil very useful. Bought it as a last minute add on with a purchase from Hobbyworld USA. It's one of those pencils that has a soft waxy material instead of lead. Just stick it to a piece of PE and it holds it until a stronger bond of CA glue pulls it onto where you're attaching it. Nice little tool

Thanks - came about as a matter of necessity with the TINY PE pieces and I think Bob's Buckles qualifies.  How goes it with them?  I have the WNW Albatross trilogy as well as a couple of Revell 1/28 birds to build.  I like the Revell kits for their simplicity, but for my next builds would not mind dressing them up a bit.

Been there, done that, said many nasty words as a result...  :oops:

Fokker E.III bell crank for wing warping control...

DSCN1852_1.jpg