Tamiya Mosquito FB VI - 3/22 - Figure painting completed

Bstarr3

Jay - Ha, I thought the same thing once I opened the box.  Didn't even know if my desktop was big enough for the various subassemblies.  It's defintely going to take some strategic thinking. 

Brian, thanks for the kind words.  I've been following your F7F build with interest.  Your level of scratchbuilding and detail is more than I can imagine doing myself. 

Karim - thanks for the tip on the HGW belts. Like I said, I think I'll probably leave this set to put in a spit sometime and use the kit belts for the Mossie. 

Peter - I just looked at your finished Mossie pics earlier and was inspired/hopeful for my own build. 

Hoping to get into it some more tonight. Do people who have done the kit recommend painting the PE harnesses before or after installing them? 

I also apparently need to decide already if I'm going to be using the figures or not. I'm leaning towards yes.

I like crew figures too as they're the best way to give

the model scale. If you use them you won't need to

mess with the belts/buckles as they are because

they're also molded on the figures.

Thanks for having such an inspiring and welcoming forum.

No , thank you for the cool tip on highlighting sprues.

Helpful on huge kits like the Mossie.

See , you're teaching us stuff already  :bow:

Updates with some fiddly work from last night.  So far I'm loving working in 32nd scale, but I'm surprised how different it is from 1/48.  The number of individual parts that are often assembled into one gives so much better detail, but also means the parts are smaller to work with than I expected.  The Touch n Flow is perfect for these little subassemblies.  

Cockpit floor assembly from two angles

Cockpit_floor_subassembly.jpg

Cockpit_floor_subassembly.jpg

Instrument panel bulkhead and rudder pedals.  I waited on the rest of the IP assembly until I can grab some etching metal primer from the hardware store.  I've had terrible luck with paint sticking to PE parts and I'm going to try a good metal primer this time around. Also didn't want to mess with decals at 12am  :mental:

Instrument_panel_and_rudder_pedals.jpg

Front_bulkhead.jpg

Navigator's seat with armored glass.  It's a cool effect with the clear part, and hopefully will be the hardest of the kit masks to cut out. 

Navigator_s_seat_with_armored_glass.jpg

And here's the whole cockpit subassembly (minus the stick) dry fitted.  I'm going to follow from Brett Green's book and paint these little sub-sub assemblies where I can still get at all the nooks and crannies for detail painting, and then fit the cockpit together.  Wow, kit within a kit is really true for this Mossie.

Full_cockpit_subassembly_dry_fitted.jpg

Cockpit_subassembly_dryfitted.jpg

I'm also realizing that quite a bit of planning is going to have to go into the interior decaling.  I've got quite a bit of overlap between the kit decals, Eagle decals, and the HGW wet transfers.  The important thing is that I've made a hard task harder for myself :doh:

Hi, Karim, thanks.  Yes, I've definitely thought about busying up the cockpit a little with some additional wiring, either lead wire or Milliput, but I'm not sure if the back of the IP is visible at all after assembly. I'll probably put some running around from the throttle quadrant, around the back of the Gee receiver, and running up the control stick.  

One tip i sometimes use is to thread the belt in the photoetch buckles while they are still on their fret then cut the buckle off. Helps with not losing those or having them ping off.

Karim

^^ This!

Also, turn the Mossie's box lid upside down and do all the harness work inside it. Pieces you drop will be easier to find and less likely to be eaten by the Carpet Monster.

Good luck with your very ambitious build!

Lots of updates - got paint down in the cockpit last night. Boy, do I love MRP! It sprays so beautifully - easy to lay down in thin translucent layers, no spitting or tip dry, no worrying about thinning ratios. It does stink though. I used the spray booth and a respirator.

Parts laid out and primed in spray booth. Used Badger Stynelrez, my standard primer. In the foreground you can see the Barracuda resin ammo chutes, which I'm planning to apply late in the process.

Cockpit_parts_in_spray_booth.jpg

Base layer of MRP interiro grey-green

MRP_Interior_grey-green_goes_down_beauti

I think I'm sold on 1/32 scale just for the instrument panels. This is amazing!

20171231_012828.jpg

Cockpit floor assembly. Laid down model air middlestone with a brush for the plywood foot panel. Will go over it with burnt sienna oils for a wood grain effect. Already lost a part - the decal for the radar screen. I painted it gloss black instead with a drop if Future. We'll say it's turned off.

20171231_012902.jpg

Pilot's seat brush painted with Model Air RLM 70.

20171231_012947.jpg

Microdetailing on the control stick. Wires done in 0.3 lead wire, clamps in lead foil, and wrapped the handle in copper speaker wire.

20171231_013104.jpg

Also primed and laid down interior green on the interior fuselage and bulkheads. Will finish detail painting on sidewalls and machine gun compartment, then will hit it all with Future and oil washes.

Peter thanks for following my thread. Just found your WIP from your Mossie, and it is really inspiring. Your paint work is remarkable, and I'm already finding it hard to live up to.

Adam, thanks for the tip about working inside the box top, I'll have to remember that for working with small PE too

Great start, i have had my Mossie in the stash for nearly two years, so you may just give me a kick in the pants.

When I returned from my hiatus, I got the Tamiya Corsair, what a pleasure to build, so looking forward to the Mossie eventually.......

Hitting the follow button.....

Thanks for following. It's definitely a big time kit. I've bitten off a lot. Hopefully it doesn't prove to be more than I can chew. I'm loving this move to 1/32 scale so far, and if whether I can finish this all in one go or not, my next is definitely going to be a single engine fighter.

Great another Tamiya Mossie build, by the time I get around to mine you guys will have ironed out all the snags for me, I like the marking of the sprues as well, I go one further and colour code the parts on the instructions as to which sprue they come from, I've just been doing just that on my current kit.

Cheers

Dennis

Small update:

Finished with the detail painting and assembled the cockpit. Left the navigators seat out to leave room for decal and washes.

20171231_152721.jpg

20171231_153142.jpg

Close up of the wood grain. I really like this effect. It's incredibly easy to get what I think is a very realistic effect.

20171231_152751.jpg