1/200 HMS Rodney with Shagbat: Maintopmast and Topgallant

Uncarina

For this update I focused on the bridge/air defense platform area, known as the octapoid due to its shape. A lot of the augmentations that the Pontos set provides shows up here. I am enjoying the process, but some of the parts are incredibly small. Overall the set is precise, and it sure looks good unpainted!

Cheers,  Tom

vhQNsoC.jpg

ZdwsUUk.jpg

2qBYuqz.jpg

7DMJvfy.jpg

BUfmRfL.jpg

2YUht00.jpg

I had no idea that all three main turrets were forward on the Rodney.

There were supposed to be more armmament on the rear, but the class had to be "cropped" after the Washington treaty IIRC. Getting the turrets close together was a way of shortening the armoured belt (and hence its weight) that protects the most vital parts of the ship, like the magazines ...

Terrific work on the PE detailing :bow:

Hubert

Hubert,

Thanks very much! Working on the conning tower now, then reworking the funnel (which I had completed before deciding on the Pontos set), then the rear mast.

When HMS Nelson and HMS Rodney were completed in the 1920's they were widely considered to have the greatest firepower of any ship. They also had torpedo tubes. When HMS Rodney sank the Bismarck she fired twelve, making her the only battleship in the world to fire torpedoes at another battleship.

Cheers, Tom

Hubert,

Thanks very much! Working on the conning tower now, then reworking the funnel (which I had completed before deciding on the Pontos set), then the rear mast.

When HMS Nelson and HMS Rodney were completed in the 1920's they were widely considered to have the greatest firepower of any ship. They also had torpedo tubes. When HMS Rodney sank the Bismarck she fired twelve, making her the only battleship in the world to fire torpedoes at another battleship.

Cheers, Tom

See what you've done? Now I need to check my references on the KGV, and see how she was fitted out.

I built the Tamiya KGV, and loved it. I would really be happy to see her as a 1/200 kit, along with the British Monitors HMS Abercrombie and HMS Roberts. The combination of unique design and Admiralty camouflage for British WWII ships gets my motor running.

Cheers, Tom