Bruce_Crosby

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Hi Tony,

And here's me thinking I'm going crazy!

If I remember correctly the helmet systems are designed and built by BAe and they have to mesh with the base software intimately so I think any British add-ons will work. Israel is full of computer smart arses, mix that with a hard edge military and believe me, they will wring every drop of useability out of their planes.

And that lovely primer green would make a great model, can't wait to see what you can do. I've got a bottle of MRP Lemon Yellow Russian primer to whack onto a 1/48 Flanker, same idea, different plane.

Italeri will probably do the B, the Italian armed forces are buying the A and B versions with a lot of the assembly being done in Italy. That saves on the air fare to Lockheed!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby
  • harvey likes this

#17 Bruce_Crosby

Bruce_Crosby

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

Just watching YouTube of a F-35 simulator with an instructor explaining the cockpit software in real time. Phenomenal!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby
  • harvey likes this

#18 Smitty44

Smitty44

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Coolest thing has to be that the airframe has a whole bunch of cameras and sensors on the fuselage so the pilot can flip a switch and essentially make the aircraft dissapear around him so he can "see" right through it.

• harvey likes this

Charlie Company, 7th Engineers Suppt Bttn, 1st FSSG, !st Mar Div

#19 dsahling1

dsahling1

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

I used to be a flight instructor in the civilian world (sadly not a fighter or bomber pilot) :-(.  One of my favorite things was when I student would bring along one of those really nice garmin color GPS with all the bells and whistles to boot.  We'd start flying somewhere and they'd start calling out their arrival times, staying on course very nicely....then I would reach over and press the power button and say,  your GPS just malfunctioned or ran out of power, and lets say storm clouds are building along our initial route I want you to take us to airport XYZ." Usually the first time around they had a hard time finding where I wanted them to go.  I used it as an object lesson that technology should be used a tool to help you improve your navigation and dead-reckoning skills (and if you use a GPS to help identify landmarks, roads, terrain etc and improve your depth perception/distance visualizing its great).  But using an E6B might seem tricky at first but its actually much easier and quicker to use than trying to type in a bunch of tiny numbers on a small screen when you should be looking outside.  In regards to the F-35 I'm worried the technology MIGHT not always work properly and we could become overly reliant on it, and flying straight and level relying on computers to see and avoid SAMs and threats might be a bad idea.  Don't get me wrong, a system that can identify and detect a launch is great and even indicate the general direction is a good thing.  But I worry this plane could really get a lot of pilots in trouble.  (Ducks for cover)

#20 Smitty44

Smitty44

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

I used to be a flight instructor in the civilian world (sadly not a fighter or bomber pilot) :-(.  One of my favorite things was when I student would bring along one of those really nice garmin color GPS with all the bells and whistles to boot.  We'd start flying somewhere and they'd start calling out their arrival times, staying on course very nicely....then I would reach over and press the power button and say,  your GPS just malfunctioned or ran out of power, and lets say storm clouds are building along our initial route I want you to take us to airport XYZ." Usually the first time around they had a hard time finding where I wanted them to go.  I used it as an object lesson that technology should be used a tool to help you improve your navigation and dead-reckoning skills (and if you use a GPS to help identify landmarks, roads, terrain etc and improve your depth perception/distance visualizing its great).  But using an E6B might seem tricky at first but its actually much easier and quicker to use than trying to type in a bunch of tiny numbers on a small screen when you should be looking outside.  In regards to the F-35 I'm worried the technology MIGHT not always work properly and we could become overly reliant on it, and flying straight and level relying on computers to see and avoid SAMs and threats might be a bad idea.  Don't get me wrong, a system that can identify and detect a launch is great and even indicate the general direction is a good thing.  But I worry this plane could really get a lot of pilots in trouble.  (Ducks for cover)

One would hope people in the program would think of this as well.

Charlie Company, 7th Engineers Suppt Bttn, 1st FSSG, !st Mar Div

#21 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

Technology has always been a doubled edged weapon. I bet the guy who invented the plough share thought he was the bees knees until it broke on a big stone. Then discovered his brother the blacksmith had just doubled his rush rates.....
  • Jack likes this

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F-35, IAF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users