WnW Sopwith Snipe (early)

1to1scale

Its getting close, I have about 1/3 of the decals left to put on, and it will be final assembly of the wing and struts. Once the decals dry a day or two, I will spray a matte clear coat. and do final weathering. Last step will be rigging. Will post pics later tonight.

Here are the results of the decalling session last night. Excuse the setting solution, I have not washed it off yet.

WnNOZWq.jpg

Here is my biggest goof up of the build, can you spot it?

sbVTsd8.jpg

Yup, I put the aileron on upside down! At this point, I am going to have to just drill the top and fill the bottom, this would require a whole repaint and a new decal sheet, so I will have to live with it.

MN7Krns.jpg

These are the most opaque white decal I have ever seen.

9AvzTmZ.jpg

Kx3dKnf.jpg

Decals finished and model master flat clear airbrushed on. I have to say I am not impressed with the clear flat, I thinned it 40% clear to 60% thinner, I put at least three coats on, but it did not get the dead flat I wanted. My search continues. I also got, glued, assembled, and set up my new vector stand.

oL4MGyo.jpg

Ih2b9eF.jpg

I'm really enjoying this build, some great tips for those of us who haven't yet built a Wingnuts kit but want to at some point in the future. I will wait and see how the rigging looks before making rash statements about breaking one of these out of stock and making my own start though :)

Duncan B

I have most of the rigging done, I tried to use fishing line, I bought clear, but it would not hold color, so I scrapped that idea. I tried to use bobs buckles on the ez-line, but I could not get the tubes over the line, it's too thick. I only barely got one installed on the undercarriage, so I abandoned them for this build and built it as Wingnut intended us to. I will have to revisit this on the next build. I still have an engine and cowl to install, rudder, and a few paint touch ups, but this will be done this weekend.

OMavJhY.jpg

w0RHmwL.jpg

1JzKjR3.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

I used both, I started using fine line around the cockpit and the “X†between the strut pairs, but felt the fine looked too thin for the longer lengths. I wish they made a medium size.

I ended up ordering some 5 lb test braided fishing line in gray color, I may use that on my next model.