He-219 A-2 Revell Quickbuild

dutik

I am somewhat behind schedule. There is more putty and sanding to do than someone might expect. Fit of all large parts is great. Made by Revell, no doubt. But all the wings have inserts for air intakes. Even the horizontal tail has its own intake duct... Every insert needs to be blended in. The large intakes also have a gauge step. Front insert is larger than the "bump" at the wing surface. Well, Heinkel added larger intake ducts as the Owl evolved. Revell has made an "one fits all" wing with variable inserts. The wingside "bump" should be perfect for the upcoming A-0 kit with smaller intake ducts, but for this A-2/5/7 right now it is too small. OK, that is what putty and sanding sticks are made for.

The tail is on, the fuselage insert blended in, the main wings are sanded smooth, but need more PE inside the UC bay. After a dryfit and balance test I decided to fill in some more lead. Added the remaining flaps and the belly tray on top for another check. Let's see what we have now:

he219-172fr4x.jpg

Watch this! It's tilting forward! :yahoo:

Do you see the hole at the nose?

he219-18wnr83.jpg

This is where I drilled a hole to put more lead on target. Shot it whith some superglue once the cavity between nose cap and front bulkhead got filled up. Just a bit more of putty and sanding now. Also added more lead behind the cockpit and inside the ladder bay. The ladder will be shown in the "up" position, to save it from breaking off. Top view:

he219-199lqab.jpg

Watch the paint jar below the nose to stop it tilting forward... :)

Enjoy

- dutik

Well, as for the UC bays:

Will add some "lookalike" major plumbing if modelling schedule allows to do so. Had an online look at some dozen finished builds, both Revell and ZM. All the UC bays are really plain. Even of builds were the modellers went a lot of extra miles to cut off and realign the engine gondolas and to superdetail the other compartments. ZMs kit comes with some more build in details, mostly the large tubes, but is still bare compared to the real deal. Photos of the real aircraft reveal a look that is close to a squid party: tubes and hoses and power lines all around, crossing, twisting, coming together and disconnecting again; not to mention the mixed in circuit boxes, oil filters, valves, shutters and othe stuff.

We shall see.

Regards

- dutik

I am going with resin seats. No space to add lead here. There will also be more styrene ahead of the wheels, while all the parts behind (except main UC doors) are in place, with center of gravity ahead even now. Talking about front cowlings with radiators, props and exhausts, canopy, front uc doors. I should avoid to throw too much lead wire into the main UC bays, but otherwise I am fine with the balance of the model.

BTW, if building another one - I'd cut a 100 grams fishing weight in halves and glue it behind the rear cockpit bulkhead. Have there at this build just 45 grams installed (10+30+minor pieces). This and some Liquid gravity into to cavities beside the cockpit should do the trick for sure.

Regards

- dutik

Dutik,

It is looking great! I'm using Liquid Gravity in my ZM DO 335 build; that stuff sure is handy. I'm one of those guilty of not working extra hard on the undercarriage bays! I am planning to work on the ZM Uhu soon and your build is getting me fired up.

Cheers, Tom

Seats:

he219-20teseo.jpg

CMK resin seats. Good stuff. You also get 2 identical small part sprues, because you need 2 footrests. The second head armor, ejection handles and stuff is surplus. Handy just in case you loose or break one of the small parts.

I went for strip styrene for the footrest and ejection handle at the back seat and replaced the ejection handle of the front seat with copper wire, after removing a bit of the resin behind the head armor. Way easier than "pointwelding" the handles to the protruding bolts.

Painted the seats in different shades of gray. Less than 50 for sure :coolio: Cushions were painted Dark sea blue (a black blue) with some malachite green highlights. The seatbelts in brown and aluminium. A final brown wash and done.

The crossbar in my cockpit is somewhat misaligned. Sanded off some resin from the seatbacks to make them sit straigth in the cockpit. The resin backseat has no contack with the floor. A piece of styrene 3,5 mm thick did the job.

he219-212as6o.jpg

he219-22jus89.jpg

The malachite is not that prominent afther the brown wash. It is just a flash artifact. Should look nice under the closed canopy.

Some more bits and pieces to be added to the cockpit before sealing the canopy.

Regards

- dutik

Coming closer to close the cockpit:

he219-235boqv.jpg

Added some brigth red valves/grips/fire shutters that Revell missed. Revi and stick. Still lacking the given radar scope hood and a scratchbuikd second one. The armored glass in front was easy to fit:

Ian told me that it is too large and sandig the bottom will help. Did so. Sanded off too much. Added a styrene crossbar on top of the IP to fix this. Lost the armored glass.

Well, under a closed canopyy nobody will see anything except a very clear front window... Win-win :innocent:

Some more PE in the front UC bay, a few thingees at the stabilizers, the canopy parts and the fuselage is ready for masking and painting.

Regards

- dutik