1/24 Hawker Fury Biplane Scratchbuild

Jim Barry

After Photobucket tried to ransom $300 out of me to save my build thread history, I was pretty pissed off to say the least! I do not think I have it as bad as others, and you all have my sympathy for those who lost more in "the fire".  I'm cooled off now and decided to let a new day dawn, this time with Imageshack whose reasonable $20 annual fee is so much in synch with my needs. (IMGUR testing  failed:  I did not like the social media side of it, yuch). 

I want to preserve the history of the build here but will only reach as far as a "best of" pictorial review of the work. No stories of me stumbling and succeeding followed by confusion and laziness, learning and eureka moments. All that was perhaps best shown in real time. Suffice to say, I grew a lot as a scratch builder and learned much but it's perhaps unimportant to rehash those details. On the positive note one can now quickly see progress without pages of fluff and the time I distracted the Fury thread with me learning 3D for another project. Again thanks for all the support to date. There was much of that in that thread I want to recognize. 

Here are some pictures in rough chronological order. Work began Feb 22 2017 for the record. It was/is my first large scale scratch build and it's been a blast to date (July 4th). I estimate this is about 300 hours of some less than efficient work. 

Nh3nFs.png

Guyunq.jpg

SRTzKg.jpg

NvGATa.jpg

tgbx1i.jpg

4pZA2B.jpg

AMVPwq.jpg

qhhEDz.jpg

Internet photo travails aside Jim,  it's still a great looking build and worthy of its elegant Hawker prototype.

I hope I can achieve something of similar quality for my Hawker flight line in the smaller (1/32nd) scale, although I bet the model's 'presence' in 1/24th is awesome.

Victor and Kevin. Thanks for confirming the fight to restore some record of the past is worth it to you guys. Unlike Pissbucket, I won't let you down! It's good Karma the way I see it.

Edited by Jim Barry

And finally some time to move ahead on the project. Here the new upper wing ver 2.0 is covered. I used 5 minute epoxy (like I did with the lower wing) to glue the plastic to the wood. I like the few minutes to work the parts into position  before it locks up. I know contact cement might be a better option but for me it's unknown so I just stuck with what works (plus I was just lazy to go get contact cement to even try). Happy to find an app (phupp) that uploads my phone's images to imageshack directly (oddly enough imageshack's own iphone app  is out of date and not working). This is great. It was painfully emailing pictures to myself and then downloading and uploading to with the service I can no longer mention without getting angry. 

xvweuZ.jpg

JgHbvB.png

Hi Jim,

I'm really glad you decided to restart this thread; I may have to do a similar thing on my B-17 build.......

I was looking back through your photos and in particular at your rudder. So that was just embossed card that you covered it with? I really like the effect you achieved, and it may be something I look at with version 2 of my tail.

Fantastic work mate.

Craig

Craig, Thanks. I do hope you get your build photos restored. I think it might have been a good idea in my case to clean the story up and get to the visual summary.  For the rudder the embossed plastic card (two pieces) is the rudder (no core really)  and at the root there is thin plastic (tube)  and some  plastic spacers (tube I think there too)  to keep the faux spars robust. It's uniquely thin on a Fury so a core was not needed. That picture might have been rudder 7 where I did not have the core spar spacers inserted. 

On the wing here below (Fresh work done this AM) you can see the wings and ailerons are wood core. I'm really happy with the additional quality that this Wing 2.0 has.  I gotta think unless you are doing a lot of interwar 1/24 scratch built biplanes, you just have to iterate nearly everything to get it right (and it's probably still not right). 

k64SRA.jpg

in Fury news, work continues on Wing 2.0 and have cut it in thirds and glued it all back together with the dihedral. It went well 

CMlkDH.jpg

Poking at a book store here in Maine the other day  and found the UK's Military Modelling magazine decided my little 1/100 Me 262 scratchbuild could grace the readers' gallery pages. Here's a picture of the model and its 15 minutes of fame. Probably should re-glue the stabilizer that broke off in a shelf accident. 

yPPu6v.jpg

dS1zLk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Slowest month of the project made worse by all that I did do came to nothing. Wing 2.0, though cleaner and less flawed had a thickness issue that I just should not have ignored. I'm not making another wing so I'm staying with the more accurate but flawed Wing 1.0. Lots of pros and cons of course, but that's the call for now. I guess I'm being hard on myself about the month. I did correct the landing gear length which was not trivial. August should pick up. Boy, I was in a bad mood about this yesterday.

Here's Wing 1.0 in a good light. The decal did well. No experience with custom large decals so this was a relief to see some success. Just future undercoat and Solvaset. Hung tight to everything and no bubbles!

frQlOb.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry