1/32 revell vs trumpeter mig 29

The Dude

The Revell Mig-29 is one of the most inaccurate kits in the history of scale modelling..

On a more serious note the Revell kit came out before any decent info was available and to expect any better from a Cold War era kit would be a bit harsh.

But to expect the Revell kit which has well known massive accuracy issues to compare with a brand new kit is being Harsh.

Let it die in peace.

IIRC the Revell kit was done off photos from various air shows as the Russians where not to cooperative when asked to measure one of there two latest super jets. In short it was a best guess at best and any assumption of accuracy would be sorely misplaced.

Thankfully we finally have a new gen 32nd Mig-29A...about time...

Edited by Darren Howie

Yes, I too have finally conceded that the Revell MiG-29UB is destined to make a one way flight from stash city to la poubelle.

Just wondering if the lovely nozzles from the Zactomodels disaster mitigation set, which I also procured, may be fitted to the Trumpy 'engines'.

Intending to buy three of the four eventual releases and really looking forwards to the twin-seater and Fulcrum C.

Nice to see a decent, modern MiG-29 9.12, and also to see Trumpy still in the 1/32 jet game. Hope it sells really well for them, to encourage further developments.

Tony

The two biggest things that I noticed on the new trumpy kit is that the leading LEX is a little on the short side were the gun part is and the engine nacelles are a little narrow but the rest of it looks very good.

I think it is better looking than the revell and still plan to build several of these trumpeter kits. The 1/48 Great Wall fulcrum still is top dog for a fulcrum kit but the trumpy kit is far from unbuildable IMO. No one will mistake it for anything else other than a mig29. Some people might say I am too generous but I give it an 8 outta 10.

Here are some pix of the real thing. Please note this is a fulcrum C and not an A so the spine is bigger but the rest should be the same.

mig29-34_zpsonqelwhl.jpg

mig29-33_zpshrqntdtp.jpg

mig29-31_zpszfhdtuqc.jpg

mig29-30_zps5svxysoo.jpg

(Pix posted with permission as appropriate)

Is this one of the ex-moldovian 9-13 ? Great pictures Brian.

The sad part is that the big Revell kit was probably the most accurate Mig-29 when it originally came out. Before that, you had messed up ones like the Monogram 1/48 kit, and smaller 1/72 kits that were also off and all based on a few photos of very early Mig-29s visiting Finland, I believe. I remember the Revell kit as being the only one with later features like the extended rudders and dispenser fairings in front of the tails. Also, the kit had the centerline talk, the proper configuration of pylons and the R-27 and R-60 missiles were simple, but not really terrible (the R-73s were pretty far off, though). By far the worst inaccuracy IMHO was the grossly undersized exhaust (never fixed), and the weird stepped transition piece between the underside engine tunnels and the too small exhausts in the original boxing.

It also definitely does *not* smell of kerosene, benzine, leather and oil like the real thing, which is so unrealistic I will lose sleep every night.

Hmm, I smell a marketing opportunity. Realistic Parfum de Avion pour Homme

Subtle hints of warm AVTUR, degraded rubber hoses and a dash of hydraulic oil

Richard

The second pic Luca submitted is computer generated.

Would like to see side by side comparison of the older Trumpeter release.

And I do have two Revell UB kits, would they be any good to splice appropriate parts/areas into new Trumpeter for a more accurate two seater?

There is a Mig-29 at the museum in Oregon, have pics from my visit there somewhere. Anyone else have some?

Thanks. 

The second pic Luca submitted is computer generated.

Would like to see side by side comparison of the older Trumpeter release.

And I do have two Revell UB kits, would they be any good to splice appropriate parts/areas into new Trumpeter for a more accurate two seater?

There is a Mig-29 at the museum in Oregon, have pics from my visit there somewhere. Anyone else have some?

Thanks.

Since Trumpeter has already announced a UB, there seems little reason to try and Frankenstein a UB using the old Revell kit. Even if the fuselage sections could be matched up, you'd still need a cockpit because the Revell one is pretty sparse.

Not sure what you are looking for in a comparison to the earlier M and K kits. The sprue breakdowns show that they share very few parts other than the weapons/pylons and maybe the ejection seat and landing gear.

Why don't you guys get together and do a tweaks list for the Revell kit? Not a rebuild, but just something a modeler can use to accurise the kit a bit. I have one, and think just a bang seat in the pit is good, but I'm up for a bit more. Is this even possible?