Hawker Hurricane IIB FINISHED

Allok

Hurricanes in the Pacific???????

You bet!

RAF 488 sqn (NZ) recieved 9 Hurricane IIBs on the 13th Jan, 1942, to replace the good old Buffalos (We only had two left by then anyway)

They trained in them for a couple of days after they were delivered and then all except one were destroyed or damaged on the ground during a bombing raid. They didn't even get to paint unit markings on them!

I have only managed to scavange/steal two photos of these planes. Here's one;

BB_2A60_1.jpg

The RNZAF IIBs were painted in the green/brown/sky scheme, had trop filters and twelve .303 machine guns (The outer 4 were removed in an attempt to improve performance).

I will start with this little guy;

Pictures175.jpg

Pictures179.jpg

Pictures180.jpg

The decals are shot, so I've ordered some replacements from Eagle Strike (again)

This time I will be scratch-building most of the cockpit (Yawn) But the rest doesn't look too terrible.

Wish me luck.

It will be interesting to watch this project progress.

Allok is the tropical filter included ? when i bought my 'tropical' hurricane, it said in the instructions that the filter was an optional extra which could be purchased seperate! had to get mine from MDC

perry

Building a Hurricane II from that kit requires lengthening its nose substantially.

Are you sure Charles? After checking the kit against the pics, there is no noticeable difference.

Is the tropical filter included ?

Sure is Perry, parts 52 & 53... on the sprue next to ther lower wing (Well, except for the bit that's floating about in the box!)

Charles is correct. The nose is far too short for a Mk. II. That's why Warbirds Productions released several Hurricane correction sets that feature a corrected, longer, nose. The nose, as represented in the kit, is of a Mk. I. That was Revell's original release. When they tooled it up to a Mk. II, They just added cannons in the wings and might have redesigned the panel lines a bit on the wing but I don't believe they did.

Tim

You guys are absolutely right!

I will need to add about 5mm to the nose to make it accurate.

A good chunk of the extra length is in the section between the engine and the cockpit... this bit I should be able to fix without too much trouble. The other extra length seems to be in the section just in front of the engine behind the spinner and would require some careful scratching!

Question is, am I good enough to do mods like this and still end up with a reasonable looking model? Or can I get away with compromising a little and not mess with the airframe.

I guess we'll soon find out... Where's my knife??!!

Allok . why not save your self some time and grief by simply ordering a MK IIC conversion set from M.D.C.

You can also get a new wheel well , wheels , cannons , exhausts etc. + a cockpit interior :rolleyes:

Are you kidding!??

And miss all that fun?

Besides, I love building cockpits from scratch, I've already chopped the front off the plane, won't need the cannons, I'm not going to do much to the wheel wells and the exhausts don't look too bad.

Other than that, it was probably a good idea.

As far as after-market goes, I have the hobby decal data set and I've just odered the Eagle strike decal set.

I guess the rest will just be help from you guys and a fairly large portion of luck.

Cheers,

Keith (the other one)

Managed to push the nose out by the full 5mm without completely destroying the whole plane. (yet)

Pictures170.jpg

Also started drilling the exhausts.

Pictures171.jpg

Need some help from you guys:

Does this prop look too broad to you? What sort of prop is a MkIIB supposed to have?

Next up; Whip out the cockpit and make a new one!

Allok,

The Mk II (a,b,c) either used one of the following

1) de Havilland constant-speed propellers

http://www.globalair.com/discussions/cox/i...0Nose%20Art.jpg

http://www.globalair.com/discussions/cox/i...0(Mk%20IIc).jpg

2) Rotol constant-speed propellers

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Hurricane03.jpg

(The prop is spininng but you can make out the blade shape)

Your hurri prop looks more like the de Havilland type but you can make the choice, your model..

Regards

Alan

I'm not going to do much to the wheel wells

Well... I may have spoken too soon!

As I build a new cockpit, I discover that the top of the wheel well is visible in there.

So out it comes, I'm scratching up a new one!!!

Pictures175-1.jpg