BDU Splinter Scheme... another new one from the 18th Aggr Squadron

Marcel111

I don't think the last time it happened is really relevent....  If it COULD happen, the fly boys (and girls) want the greatest advantage possible on their side....  Because the alternative is either floating in a parachute or dead.

EDITED to acknowledge women combat pilots.

Edited by Juggernut

Also, let's not forget that paint is also a great corrosion inhibitor.  Aluminum alloys and other "special metals" that make up these aircraft are prone to aggressive corrosion (doe on their operational environment) and the  paint/primer adds to the protection of the airframe so in all respects, it performs at least two functions that I can think of.

Talk to Wilbur Wright about the visual fight in the Balkans, and how his wingman went blind.

When I was flying sorties during Southern Watch, our ROE was VID. The possibility of this scenario existed every day for me. In fact, Kanga and I ran down a MiG-23 that crossed the southern no-fly border. The ROE to kill him was VID. He lived, because he made it back to the fly zone before we could ID him.

This scenario I'm referring to happens every day, at every Flag Exercise we fly, and during our continuing 4vX training, where we simulate the most capable adversary possible. Not likely? Perhaps..but that is why we are the best at what we do. Prepare for the worst. Train to that possibility.

Pete