BDU Splinter Scheme... another new one from the 18th Aggr Squadron

Marcel111

I realize it's great for modeling, but in an age of advanced radars, shoot - and- forget weapons, and who knows what else, isn't camo just window dressing?

Unfortunately, no.

The purpose of camo is not to defend the aircraft in-flight, but disguise it while it is on the ground, especially in foreign country air-bases. Ideally it will cause the aircraft to "blend-in" both while in storage as well as after an unplanned "landing", due to equipment malfunction or being downed by an enemy weapon to prevent its' capture by enemy forces who could gather information from any technical gear or hardware left intact, or worst-case scenario, getting their hands on an operable unit.

Hope that helps...

Edited by Gigant

Unfortunately, no.

The purpose of camo is not to defend the aircraft in-flight, but disguise it while it is on the ground, especially in foreign country air-bases. Ideally it will cause the aircraft to "blend-in" both while in storage as well as after an unplanned "landing", due to equipment malfunction or being downed by an enemy weapon to prevent its' capture by enemy forces who could gather information from any technical gear or hardware left intact, or worst-case scenario, getting their hands on an operable unit.

Hope that helps...

Mmmm- perhaps for some air arms, but this sounds like historical information. I can tell you for a fact that the current paint schemes on the F-16, F-15, and F-22 are there to make airborne visual acquisition of these jets harder. The best A/A camouflage I've ever encountered was the "Smurf jet" camo on the AT-38B. That thing was tough to pick up visually simply flying in line abreast tactical formation- nose on; even worse.

The Gomer jets are painted to mimic threat aircraft obviously. Why the bad guys paint their jets the way they do is subject to interpretation, but there is nothing, at all, about a Ukrainian Flanker (for example) to suggest they want to hide it amongst the visual ground clutter.

Just an old fighter pilot talkin'

Cheers

Pete

I think camo just looks beautiful. Any kind of camo, any way you paint it, but grey is my least favorite. As all of you have said, it doesn't mean nearly as much now.. but that Viggen splinter camo really floats my boat.

Tnarg

Modern weapons systems have basically rendered camouflage virtually a moot point.  On the ground or in the air, advanced sensors can pick up an aircraft long before anyone can see it with Mk.I eyeballs.  True, grey camouflage renders them more difficult to see, but in the real world, nobody's likely to sneak up close enough to anybody else to allow camouflage to make much of a difference.

Jennings...and when the fight collapses inside sensor range to a multi bandit visual fight, I don't want to be in a Ferrari red F-16.

Any advantage, even if ever so slight, I'll take. Apparently the USAF agrees with me.

Pete

I would guess that the Russian splinter schemes are about aspect deception at the edge of vision i.e. the dark/light splinters break up the outline of the aircraft such that range and direction are harder to detect. Similar theory to Heater-Ferris. The 18th using green and brown seems to me to be a pretty creative take on that.

I am pretty certain that NATO attack aircraft wearing wrap-around schemes in the 80's (they generally all had it, A-10, F-111, F-4, Tornado...) had everything to do with the very low-level profiles they were expecting to have to fly in the event that things got serious. As things went up to medium level, camo went lighter and changed to gray.

Anyway, I hope the 18th still does a variation of the splinter scheme using the standard gray (FS36270), medium blue (FS35190) and light blue (FS35450)... because that would look really nice :-)

Cheers,

Marcel

That A-10 camo was designed to make visual acquisition of it difficult from high to low, by an interceptor, over Europe.

The A-10 would be driven to low altitude by the layered Warsaw Pact IADS. Hence the camo.

Pete

Wow!

So what about this "relic"?

freewing-tiger-2.jpg