A5M Double build

do335b6

Very interested in this side by side comparison build. I have the Fine Molds kit and it appears very well done with good detail and logical construction. But when I saw the Wingsy kit in person, I suffered a bit of buyer's remorse. The petite surface detail and representation of rivets just blew me away. Not sure how well/easily it goes together, but it looks great in the box.

BW

Starting off with the wings the parts in both kits are very nice and fit flawlessly, The Fine Molds kit has some amazing texture which when finished in bare metal will bring out the stressed metal. The Wingsy kit has some very fine and amazing rivit detail. Which one will turn out better with paint has yet to be seen. The Fine Molds kit has the cockpit floor as part of the wing while the Wingsy kit has it separate. The Fine Molds cockpit floor is rather basic in comparison to the Wingsy kit which includes a window in the floor and several PE parts for more detail . 

Fine Molds

IMG_1558_zpsn2pmfftp.jpg

IMG_1559_zpsvdtabbbp.jpg

IMG_1560_zpse6nf25bf.jpg

IMG_1562_zpsgvjo8v0c.jpg

IMG_1563_zps8qxv3nvq.jpg

IMG_1564_zpsnqwe7gg8.jpg

Wingsy

IMG_1568_zpsmc6qvher.jpg

IMG_1567_zpsufjlwi9f.jpg

IMG_1566_zpsshvwlqym.jpg

IMG_1565_zps7oduw1eu.jpg

Both cockpits and engines really look quite nice. But I do have one question. The 2nd engine has the valve pushrod casings off to the sides of the rocker arm covers. Is this correct, or it's just a dry fit for the photo pics?

Joel

No you are right, The Wingsy kit once you line up the pushrods up to the locater pins all the push rods end up slightly off, I tried to fix it but the bent pushrods looked worse, I figure once the cowl is on you won't see it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a tie to me. Both models have excellent NMFs, and their respective markings look perfect. :thumbsup:  So which one do you feel is the better kit and why?

Joel

Personally both kits are great , they both have nice features and not so nice features. The Fine Molds kit is easier to build but the Wingsy has a better finish with more detail. The Wingsy kits biggest problem is the PE parts that are needed but on a fret that is so small your PE scissors won't work. I like the Fine Molds but I think the Wingsy kit is defiantly worth building. I'm looking forward to the Ki 51 they are planning.