Hasegawa F6F-3/5 Hellcat...

Shaka HI

Thanks all..Ya. there's more than spider cracks that's for sure. Some of the cracks look more like molding defects. I'll see what I can do. Karlsen, thanks for the link -- unfortunately, it's out of stock. Still an option, but I'll try a make Vacu-form copy. Canopy should easy and I don't need to create the proper form for it as it will be left open.

Question for you Shaka,

I'm looking at the fuselage picture from the last page. I see what appears to be jagged vertical seams? I can see where you applied the rows of rivets but what is going on with the original panel lines? Did you rescrbe first then applied rivets and now the scribe mark needs to be cleaned up again? Thanks for your reply. Really great work going on here. I have the same kit in work for the past decade. Just didn't want to do the single rivet punch detail required. The rivet wheel seems the way to go.

Troy

Troy..I use the existing raise lines as a guide to re-scribe using the Mini UMM-USA scriber. Then I sand the the entire part, but do not remove all of the rivet/raised seam detail -- they're still visible. Then I use the riveter and go over where I see the original rivets. Lastly, I come back and sand all the raised details off.

That jagged look is due to a cell phone pict I resized using my cell. There is no jagged seams.

Also, those white stains were from Tamiya's washes..I'm not sure why, but it discolored the plastic and they appeared when I got a towel moist with mineral spirits to remove all the wash after checking the work with the stain in the seams. The rivet work is very subtle -- perhaps a bit too subtle, but we'll see when the model is complete. I want just a hint of them to show.

Thanks for the explanation Shaka. The picture appears to have jagged lines when I pull it up close on my IPad. I was thinking of all the great work on this bird and the panels lines looked awful. Lol. I think I need a go at my Hellcat with a riveter. Looks fantastic.

What are you going to do about the canopy?

Regards,

Troy.

I had a friend give me a mint Mattel vacuum machine several years ago. I bought the modification kit for the machine that was produced many years after the original came out. I haven't used it once! I'm interested in making a canopy as well. Keep us posted! Thanks.

Troy

• 2 weeks later...