My modeling while insane "In progress" report. :)

mpk

I just knocked a bottle of Alclad airbrush cleaner over and it spilled on many of the parts of the G10 I was working on yesterday. Melted them instantly. Is it straight Acetone or something? I ran them under water right away but the damage had been done.

Luckily it wasn't the Tojo, George or 109F.

Damn. expensive model, too. :(

Yeah Harv ypu're right. I've been forcing myself to work through a physical condition as a way of taking my mind off it. better to just lay off for a while. man, that stuff is strong. I must check the composition of it. If it's just acetone I may as well just buy that. Luckily it was a spare time model. hasegawa don't come cheap though. I still have a revell G-10 and a resin cockpit already built for it. Tomorrow I may get back into the tojojo. i did some work earlier on the george. I also managed to fix the supercharger cooler on the g-10 using Mr surfacer. 

So not a total waste. I may take the week off models and this health issue may pass. I'll spend it working on drum technique on my practice pad.

A shame though. I feel for the first time I had dome everything right.

At least I showed growth.

Don't we all Dale. Answer Martin and do some druming.....Harv

Thanks Harv. Martin and I have been in contact via Skype.

Hey Dale, that Alclad is a Lacquer based paint so it would be lacquer thinner that you spilled. It's pretty mean on plastic....  :wacko:

Dan

It sure is.

Lesson learned. Expensive lessons are easiest to remember. :)

I am so glad because not 10 minutes before I had put the George aside. (It had been sitting right where the spill took place) The George is starting to look good. I find the tail plug is annoying though. I am considering just using CA as filler and re-scribing everything. 

Martin's proving to be a great help. Legend!  :goodjob:

Dale, mate, I reckon I had not checked in the last 10 days on your thread, and I am sorry to read you have had to come back to heavy doses of meds.

Anyway, nice progress on your builds. They really look good, and the different schemes are a real plus.

If you can, find a square piece of wood in which you will drill a hole the dia of Alclad bottles. This way, they will be more stable. We have all been through this drill of spilling a bottle on our work area, sometimes many times :whistle:, and the only ways to avoid it are : 1) what I recommend above, 2) keep the work area clear to 3) put the dangerous bottles within reach, yet out of the normal trajectory of our hands and their attached arms :) .

Last time I did that was not that long ago, because I had just forgotten all the above. The container was a glass yoghourt pot, and the content pure acetone :( . Fortunately no plastic parts were in the path of the spill (by a narrow margin) but the cutting mat got an additional beating. Then I remembered my wise words :BANGHEAD2: !

And, btw, wear gloves and wrap the Alclad bottles in a paper towel when shaking them before use. Although it should not happen, there are many stories of the bottle exploding because of the shocks of the steel ball inside.

Keep it coming mate. You're doing good :popcorn:

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Dale, mate, I reckon I had not checked in the last 10 days on your thread, and I am sorry to read you have had to come back to heavy doses of meds.

Anyway, nice progress on your builds. They really look good, and the different schemes are a real plus.

If you can, find a square piece of wood in which you will drill a hole the dia of Alclad bottles. This way, they will be more stable. We have all been through this drill of spilling a bottle on our work area, sometimes many times :whistle:, and the only ways to avoid it are : 1) what I recommend above, 2) keep the work area clear to 3) put the dangerous bottles within reach, yet out of the normal trajectory of our hands and their attached arms :) .

Last time I did that was not that long ago, because I had just forgotten all the above. The container was a glass yoghourt pot, and the content pure acetone :( . Fortunately no plastic parts were in the path of the spill (by a narrow margin) but the cutting mat got an additional beating. Then I remembered my wise words :BANGHEAD2: !

And, btw, wear gloves and wrap the Alclad bottles in a paper towel when shaking them before use. Although it should not happen, there are many stories of the bottle exploding because of the shocks of the steel ball inside.

Keep it coming mate. You're doing good :popcorn:

Hubert

Hi Hubert.

Great information. Many thanks. I will go about doing that tomorrow.

At the end of the day, this is all just practice. If I treat it like music I have to read the charts (instructions), what's the best method to go about the gig etc.

I'm taking a kind of week's break. I'll break it up with non pressure type exercises. For example tonight I have simply been removing parts from sprues and cleaning them up. Sanding and what not and placing them into plastic bags. Tonight's example being the Tamiya Zero A6M5 model 52. Virtually all parts are readied to be painted.

Tomorrow I may do another kit. 

I've also run into trouble in the past not cutting and trimming parts correctly. There has always been a kind of bulge existing long after the wing, for example. I have finally learned how to avoid this. It seems simple. But simple is what I need to make everything.

There's a saying that I learned in martial arts, I always remember it.

In the beginning the basics are nothing.

At the end the basics are everything.

I think this is true. I don't really care about the individual builds. It's the journey I find most interesting. The Tojo has been a real eye opener. I learned a lot from that build.

And for the G-10, I have this cockpit I made some months ago for my Revell kit. I can't recall the brand. It may be Eduard. It's not my best work but it will do. Plus I have resin wheels and Brassin struts. I'll use the Reaver nose and spinner. I am sure to be able to replace the parts I ruined. I am not concerned. This exercise is all about my redeveloping my co-ordination. When I began modeling I could not even write my name. 

I am lucky that I happen to love this exercise. Most people don't get it. I see it on their faces. My brother's really confused. My doctors get it. You guys get it. There is no doubt in my mind this is helping me. I think it also helps my drumming. I sprayed the 109 F4 with my left hand. I had a couple of screw ups that I later fixed with my right hand. These screw ups were on the starboard side. I messed up a demarcation line and an exhaust stain. All on the nose area. 12 months ago there is no way I could have done that.

I am also about ready to read a book again. I'm going to read My ten years in a quandary. This is because modeling is helping my ability to concentrate.

Anyway, here that cockpit. Thanks Hubert. :)

20170327_231646_zps3y0wvpdb.jpg

Edited by mpk

Dale, sorry to hear of the ongoing issues and the thinner accident - as others have said, we've all been there before! Very cool picture as well, nice memories to have of the past that is for sure.

The cockpit is looking amazing even if you say that is not your best work.  The weathering is perfect and looks like it could have come out of the actual plane.  Terrific work.  

This is a great hobby that helps all of us in our own ways.  Plus LSP is a fantastic community of good people that is a real positive to be a part of.  Take a break and looking forward to seeing what you are doing when you come back.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Dale, sorry to hear of the ongoing issues and the thinner accident - as others have said, we've all been there before! Very cool picture as well, nice memories to have of the past that is for sure.

The cockpit is looking amazing even if you say that is not your best work.  The weathering is perfect and looks like it could have come out of the actual plane.  Terrific work.  

This is a great hobby that helps all of us in our own ways.  Plus LSP is a fantastic community of good people that is a real positive to be a part of.  Take a break and looking forward to seeing what you are doing when you come back.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I just have to learn to pace myself. I have a tendency to go 100% 100% all of the time. I was asked to join a band and was seriously thinking about it. But I must be honest with myself. I'm not ready yet. It can wait.

I got my Infinity airbrush back yesterday. It works beautifully. On my desk are two airbrush cleaning pots with an airbrush each. An Iwata and an Infinity. Each attached to it's own compressor. Not bad eh? :)

So I am taking a break. I'll take the time to read the many threads here and learn. :)

You know Dale, I need to do that.  I need to get a fine-point airbrush to go with my Iwata HP-CS, but need to get THAT airbrush rebuilt first.  That will put a serious crimp in my model building for a while I think.  I remember Peter said he got his rebuilt by Iwata.  I think I need to do that.

Sounds like you like your Infinity?  I just have the one compressor - I'll just have to switch.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I practiced 32 styles and qualified as a teacher in 17 and am a certified master of two. :)

I am as eclectic in martial arts as I am in music. And I had 28 full contact fights. 28 wins. No losses. I had two careers running in tandem. martial arts and drumming. I lost martial arts when I fractured my spine back in the late 90's. I can still drum and walk. I lost my musical career twice now. The first time I got it back. Unsure if it'll happen again. 

Some styles I enjoyed more than others. For quite some time I lived in a dojo. It was easier than having a flat because I was always going away on tour.

I miss martial arts. Not so much martial artists. :)

I prefer musicians generally. :)

You should've nunchuck'd your drumsticks   :frantic: