Airfix 1/24 Hurricane Mk1 BOB - with Added Photographic Skills...Hopef

CraigH

Some very nice work here, Craig. That Airfix Hurricane was the best of those old releases, in my opinion, and still stacks up well today.  In so many ways, it's better than the Trumpeter kit, I think.

Cheers

Michael

Some very nice work here, Craig. That Airfix Hurricane was the best of those old releases, in my opinion, and still stacks up well today.  In so many ways, it's better than the Trumpeter kit, I think.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks for the kind words Michael. Certainly cheaper than the Trumpeter!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't believe it's September since I last updated this post. Been buy with work but here's where I've got to at the moment

I commented on worrying about putting it all together and I was right.

After much gluing, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, you get the picture, the fuselage came together:

z5Vdxj9l.jpg

You can see some of the filling saga here:

yULqcMPl.jpg

The gun bays went in very easily and were a good fit:

sDbciNCl.jpg

SE1uuCVl.jpg

The engine and fuselage structures were quite easy to seat right as well:

tEm4KVZl.jpg

The errant "A" has been sorted by the way :doh:

z5Vdxj9l.jpg

Anyway after an age it was all sanded and masked up and ready for spraying. I have to admit that this will be the first time I've used acrylics, being of an age where enamels were all we had. I've used Tamiya paints and I have to say how impressed I was with the coverage. It turned out to be a really nice paint, and clean up was less messy too although I found soap and water not quite enough and a little IPA was needed in places. But here are the end results of camo B painting:

VDCXeKSl.jpg

I have to say here that I'd intended building the plane of Ian Gleed but as you can see it didn't end up that way

I'd decided to spray the ID letters in a grey paint and they came out well, which is more than I can say for the roundel decals

GUJmFq6l.jpg

The kit decals are in a bit of a state and the fuselage roundel disintegrated as I tried to apply it. No problem thought I. I'll spray the roundels too. To cut a long story short...didn't work so I reverted to plan B, build Peter Townsend's palne. I'd covered this with a contingency plan, I'd bought a set of Techmod decals for the Mk 1 Hurricane and the roundels on these decals were the same as the kit decals. I resprayed the camo then sprayed the new ID letters. No problem with the decals this time. Wrong!!!! The Techmod were worse than the kit ones, the roundel split into a thousand bits on the backing paper. Never again. I resorted to the kit decals and managed to get them on and the finished result looks quite  good:

0DjZJm9l.jpg

It's not poor painting by the way where the brown camo seems to come through the green at the rear of the fuselage. I found a WW11 picture:

QZJiVdDl.jpg

with just this effect on a real plane so I thought I'd try and reproduce it with a bit of dry brushing.

Around the assemblies looks OK too.

qD159gdl.jpg

VDCXeKSl.jpg

That's it for now just a few more decals to apply then the weathering can begin. Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...

Thank God for Christmas! Given me two days to really get something done. So, everything sprayed, decaled and varnished. There's some little touch ups to do here and there. The one thing I've noticed using acrylics for the first time is how fragile they are until you get a coat of varnish over them. I've taken a bit of time to try and improve my photographing techniques regarding close ups of engines, interiors etc. Now I've got the wife's Canon EOS digital that I bought her for Christmas  :wicked: Ihope they look a lot better. This is basically how I wanted her to look prior to getting that middle of the Battle of Britain, 8 sorties a day and basic servicing look. The last couple of pics show a little of how I'm fancying mounting her...panels off, some Tamiya rally ground crew rearming hand giving the engine a going over. Thanks for looking. Hopefully I'm aiming for another week or two and she'll be finished then it's onto my gorgeous wife's Christmas present to me....1:24 Mosquito :rolleyes:

h8bPqUql.jpg

hUCb2MCl.jpg

q7Sy9Hsl.jpg

RfomAxvl.jpg

vTg79K6l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, suddenly and as if by magic, she's finished. Certainly took me by surprise. It was one of those moments when I was looking thinking "what else needs doing?" and realised...not a lot! SO it's now posted to Ready for Inspection at: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=72698

As far as the weathering went it was pretty standard for me really. A panel line wash of dark brown for the upper surfaces and  a darkish grey for the undersides.

SSBqlDql.jpg

FBpaawwl.jpg

Chipping was mainly with Humbrol metallics and my bits of trusty Wilkinson's 50p bath sponge along with a few licks of the silver pencil for really thin lines. I used a couple of reference photos to try and get a feel for how much hammer these planes did get from feet and spanners etc:

WUqnSsWl.png

pdDeZm9l.png

z12vkdCl.png

I just hope it's not too overdone

QHlbFwAl.jpg

The fabric covers over the gun ports were shown as marked and ripped apart as the vision I had was of a plane just landed for a quick refuel and rearm. I painted some light tissue red and cut to size and glued on with Krystal Klear then stuck a needle in each gun port and teased the tissue out so it looks like its been blown open bt the first burst of gunfire. Some black paint airbrushed on completes the effect

QLWUPNCl.jpg

I've shown most panels off and balanced, along with the emergency side hatch, balanced on the wings as I expect would've been the case during a quick change around

FBpaawwl.jpg

I'd cut out the static flaps early on so all I needed to do was to make some little fins from sheet styrene and add a rod at the back then, a touch of panel wash and into place. Not sure whether they should be up or down...I've read both is wrong!

tE7hNw7l.jpg

Underside was stained quite heavily as I'd used the picture here as a reference

59ciLFJl.png

Dn8Jofsl.jpg

bf4YRtil.jpg

So there we are. Thanks for looking and onto the 1/24th Mosquito!