Revell 1/32 Hawker Hunter FGA Mk9

TaffyMan

So unusual to see a Huter in this scheme Taff. It looks great.

I like the look of the scratch built recce pod too. It appears neat on my monitor.

The stencils are worth the effort for that added touch of realism.

Great progress buddy, keep at it.

Cheers.

Just picked up one of these kits at long last from Duxford yesterday Taff (along with a Revell 1/32 F-4F Phantom kit, although I cannot have them until Christmas :( ), so the Flygvapnet  J 34 is on! (I now need to start sourcing detailed Hunter reference data and decals).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

So unusual to see a Huter in this scheme Taff. It looks great.

I like the look of the scratch built recce pod too. It appears neat on my monitor.

The stencils are worth the effort for that added touch of realism.

Great progress buddy, keep at it.

Cheers.

Ta Geedubelyer  - Yep the colours are growing on me! :hmmm: She just looks funny not in Grey & Green or Silver. But I had so many possible Grey & Greens coming up on my build list I just fancied doing some other colours.

Don't look to closely at the pod – it's a bit rough espacially my homemade camers - But Thanks anyway!

That is looking so good Taff :thumbsup:

Derek

Cheers Derek – cant wait to see how you go with the Sweed …. She looks kind-a pretty!  :piliot:  Hope you had fun at Duxford! Still on my list of places I need to go and take a long - long look at.

Awesome Taff!  Man, that does indeed look unusual for a Hunter scheme.............but LOVE IT!    Happy post B-day BTW, and glad you got to spend it your way. 

Cheers Brian - Don't tend to see many, the other reason I tought i'd give it a go - Building up too next years BDay .... see if I can get away a three day celabration again! :D

Very nice, and a recce pod as well - floats my boat. :goodjob:

Cheers for looking in and posting Mike – perhaps I should have asked you if you had any info on the pod ….. as I could find very little on it!. So most of it is made up with my assumptions I'm afraid. But I wont tell if you don't :innocent:

Grand.

Sincerely,

Mark

Glad you like her Mark and thanks for checking in.

Beautiful work, Taff! And Happy Birthday, too, mate.

Kev

Cheers Kev – yep another year gone and another brain cell – oh well!!!! :mental:

Taff :D

Okay folks in between eating out and drinking for my Birthday plus all the Rugby this weekend – I did find some time to dirty her up! :thumbsup:

I have given here a coat of MM Semi. This was left (whilst I went down the pub :whistle: ) to dry – then it's time to break out the oils! My usual approach to this is as I have done on my other builds. I start with the lighter colours and dot away. A bit earthier towards the fuselage then is father out on the wing.

044-Hunter-Mk9_zpsaujn8osz.jpg

Then with a small chisel brush with just a residue of turps on it start to smear and a bit of mix into the center and along some of the panels.

045-Hunter-Mk9_zpsi7s1onvr.jpg

This then all got wiped back in the direction of the airflow with a very slightly turps damped bit of kitchen towel.

Uhm seemed to have forgot to take a picture of this bit Doh! :doh:

So after all the fun of dotting it on and the wiping it off the top turned out like this.

046-Hunter-Mk9_zps0dh4jsyf.jpg

So whilst this was moved away to dry I now started the highlight for all the little bits that will hang off of her.

The under carriage doors, Flaps and air break.

047-Hunter-Mk9_zpsbusyihtq.jpg

At this point there should be a pic of all the stuff to hang of the wings – but once again I seem to have forgotten to take it! :shrug:

After 3 -4 hours drying I could flip her over and do her belly

Going to do a lot more warm browns etc along the bottom of the Fuselage.

048-Hunter-Mk9_zps0m7mopb7.jpg

Smear and start the paint removal

049-Hunter-Mk9_zps9ugcx2oo.jpg

Then repeat for the rest of the underside – and I let it rest and dry overnight.

A shot of the light applied

050-Hunter-Mk9_zpsyq1erimy.jpg

With the main part set aside to dry I could now do the dark to the Ordinance and Tanks. I also did a bit of chipping to the nose of the tanks using some grey and silver pencils. 

Ready for their final coat

051-Hunter-Mk9_zpsvcdpsoaq.jpg

Also did the other bits – with an addition of some mud/concrete dust added where the wheels would kick it up.

057-Hunter-Mk9_zpseblcbuen.jpg

Okay - Back in a mo with some more

Okay Back with part 2 of the update

A new day and before I get stuck into the World Cup again thought I'd better get the next stage on the Fuselage done!

Out with the darks – use Paynes Grey as my dark mix rather than Lamp Black. I feel the black can be a bit too stark especially on the body. But black has it's place and I do use it occasionally.

Dots first

052-Hunter-Mk9_zpsmeqpivjr.jpg

Then smear and start to thin it down

053-Hunter-Mk9_zpseevleaez.jpg

Then after several wipe and I just kept thinning the paint out until I was happy. I will come back and do some more detailed bits and areas latter both on the top and the bottom.

054-Hunter-Mk9_zpso2rw9y7c.jpg

After the wings move to the center

055-Hunter-Mk9_zps1btimjpb.jpg

Everything wiped back and thinned

056-Hunter-Mk9_zpsmp1ikl7b.jpg

Okay that will now be left – plus that means I can go and watch some more Rugby Cool!!!!

After a good night to dry it was time to flip her over and do the first dotting and washed for the bottom

So same as the top just using some darker mixes to make it a bit more dirty and streaky

Dots

058-Hunter-Mk9_zpsw0esv5br.jpg

Smeared and started too thin it out.

059-Hunter-Mk9_zpsm6xt1u2j.jpg

Start to wipe back and remove the paint

060-Hunter-Mk9_zpsucy89aid.jpg

Finished the first application – I'll come back to all the bottom to add some detail in later.

061-Hunter-Mk9_zpsqu0slpyw.jpg

First layer done – I'll leave it to dry and do some detailed oils and dirt later.

062-Hunter-Mk9_zpswujv5ehc.jpg

Yeah nearly at the - ready to start the final assemble stage! It will be nice to get her of the stand and standing on her own three legs. First up will be a second round of oils and powders to detail some areas!

Till next time – enjoy…… and happy modeling all !