Hurricanes over Duxford

PhilB

"Thanks awfully old chap!"

Im not really that into the Spitfire , at least i wasnt. I have to say that the sight and sound of those 16 Spitfires taking off in groups , kicking up streaks of dust is something i will never forget. See now i need a Tamiya Spitfire! :rolleyes:

I totally agree!

Whilst we are on the subject, I've always wondered about this scheme.

post-13803-1283762242.jpg

Yeah, Derek is correct..........RAF SEAC colour scheme.

My clipped wing Mk XIV is Ginger Lacey's Iron Hand that flew in the Burma theater

Final%20pic4.JPG

Final%20pic7.JPG

LOL :rolleyes: love the video! That was the boys first thought............offer him a smoke! "Thanks awfully old chap!"

Brian

You know i love duxford - but every year is just spitfires - i wish they had 4 hurris up at their pinnacle event of the year - ithe Legends show was a serious let down this year and it looks like the show you went to had just as much and more hurris so you did well indeed!! :rolleyes:

I wish the fighter collections kites could all get into the air at once as well !

Was the thunderbolt any closer to completion ?

Ads

Thanks Vaughn.

I got some good shots of the BoB memorial flight Lancaster so you and I have seen the only two flying one's left!

Did you get to go inside ?.. it's amazing how cramped they are. Also the distinctive smell.. I was surprised as my first 7 years in the military I was working on S2F Trackers... as soon as I stuck my head in the Lanc I recognized the same smell !

The Abbotsford show had a Bearcat and yes, fast little bugger indeed ! Watching the Harvards, A1 and Corsair and P-51 was great, each had a style and sound but that Bearcat was like a wasp among butterflies.

Thanks again for the pics !

Cheers

Vaughn

Im not really that into the Spitfire , at least i wasnt. I have to say that the sight and sound of those 16 Spitfires taking off in groups , kicking up streaks of dust is something i will never forget.

Amen to that Andrew, it was reminiscent of a BoB scramble!

I miss Duxford. Those pics bring back some good memories. My last visit I saw 11 Spits flying at once. Quite a sight!

I totally agree. If you have the slightest amount of petrol in your veins you can't help being moved by the sight and sounds.

Yeah, Derek is correct..........RAF SEAC colour scheme.

My clipped wing Mk XIV is Ginger Lacey's Iron Hand that flew in the Burma theater

LOL :) love the video! That was the boys first thought............offer him a smoke! "Thanks awfully old chap!"

I had a sneaking thought you had done a similar scheme.

You should get the film on DVD. Always great for a quiet night in and no bloody CGI!

You know i love duxford - but every year is just spitfires - i wish they had 4 hurris up at their pinnacle event of the year - ithe Legends show was a serious let down this year and it looks like the show you went to had just as much and more hurris so you did well indeed!! :evil_laugh:

I wish the fighter collections kites could all get into the air at once as well !

Was the thunderbolt any closer to completion ?

I totally agree. It was really nice to see all the Hurris. Didn't get to see the T bolt so I'm not sure how its getting along.

One of the best bits of the Legends show for me was the "American" section, Lots of P51's, Corsair, KittyHawk, Skyraiders, Bearcat etc

Did you get to go inside ?.. it's amazing how cramped they are. Also the distinctive smell.. I was surprised as my first 7 years in the military I was working on S2F Trackers... as soon as I stuck my head in the Lanc I recognized the same smell !

The Abbotsford show had a Bearcat and yes, fast little bugger indeed ! Watching the Harvards, A1 and Corsair and P-51 was great, each had a style and sound but that Bearcat was like a wasp among butterflies.

The Lanc didn't land and I don't think they would have let us inside if it had.

I'm glad you get my drift about the Bearcat, difficult to describe unless you actually see it but the wasp among butterflies is spot on!

They had 4 two seat spits there and a couple had a rear seat passenger for the display.

I would have loved to have got a ride for that.

P9051747.jpg

Oww man! so its going to be at least next year before i see the t'bolt in the air - i have given up crossing my fingers and toes! - at flying legends the engine was on ! so something must have happened!

Great pics thanks for them - it got me looking at my pics of fighter legends last year and it just re affirms how much politics gets in the way of these shows - not always the biggest are the best! - at RIAT there was a flying Bf109G and an spanish 109 flying - nothing like that this year at flying legends - apparantly there is some politics involved - its just the customer who misses out - next year im going to do the states airshows i need a change i think - i heard at thunder over michigan there were EIGHT flying fortesess!!!

Dont get me wrong i like spitfires nothing against them, but the UK airshow scene really isnt getting any better - RIAT was actually really good as its compacted into 2 day and dont get me started about Farnborough!! so over rated!! nothing realy of any interest flew on the public days and no Vulcan Flight Sunday - what a bloody let down! Never going to that one again (maybe :rolleyes: )

So thats what i think about the whole thing - i am glad you actually got to see something different in the shape of 4 Hurris!

Ads

at RIAT there was a flying Bf109G and an spanish 109 flying - nothing like that this year at flying legends

Yup I thought it was a bit one sided.

At the show they had a couple of Bouchons:

P9051594.jpg

P9051596.jpg

and only one did a "turn":

P9051715.jpg

but it would have been nice to see a "real" 109. Yes I know the G would not have been right for the period but it would

have been nice to see it.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

That must have been an awesome sight to see all those spit and hurri's in the air!! They did have a few at in the air at RIAT this year, it was quite the sight!

I saw that Belgian F-16 at RIAT this year.... OH MY WHAT A DISPLAY!! and the noise!! Still gives me goose bumps when i think about it!! But NO FLYING HELO'S well except for the Dutch Apache which was a pretty cool display along side the the Dutch F-16. Last year they had at least 15-20 flying helo's in the air and at one point all at the same time.

Cheers

Brenden

EDIT: Great pics!

That must have been an awesome sight to see all those spit and hurri's in the air!! They did have a few at in the air at RIAT this year, it was quite the sight!

I saw that Belgian F-16 at RIAT this year.... OH MY WHAT A DISPLAY!! and the noise!! Still gives me goose bumps when i think about it!! But NO FLYING HELO'S well except for the Dutch Apache which was a pretty cool display along side the the Dutch F-16. Last year they had at least 15-20 flying helo's in the air and at one point all at the same time.

Yep that F16 was awesome, had to take my little one to answer a call of nature during the display, I thought the roof of the bog was coming off.

Well I have a picture from the same show that you might find interesting:

post-13803-1285157122.jpg

According to the commentator bloke this Wasp is owned by a private company and painted in the scheme that it had whilst on HMS Endurance during the Falklands.

They used it to ferry the Belgian pilot to Mildenhall and back I believe where he was parking his F16 overnight.

Phil