1/18 Spitfire MkXIV Race #80

airscale

Just echoing what everyone else has said so far. Probably the best model I have ever seen. The build threads were a pleasure to follow, each step was a jaw dropping treat. I think the quiet and humble way you progressed also made me look forward to every entry. Just an astonishing accomplishment, and a beautiful choice of aircraft.

Richard

thank you everyone. I am quite overwhelmed by your kind messages :)

it is quite a moment for me as it is the first model I think ever that I can say is finished - there is not a thing I would do to it now. Your companionship along the way has kept me inspired, and more importantly for me and how I measure my own output is that I feel I have improved because I want to please you - doing a WIP has changed how I model, and made me better - it is now not my standards I strive to achieve but yours..

I have read all your kind messages and am super grateful for you taking the time to reach out and leave a note for me

As I re-read the post, I noticed I had not put up any close-ups, so to really draw this one to a close I am going to indulge myself :)

I also see Mirek from HpH dropped in - I am really pleased about that as it reminded me to shout out to HpH for their great kits and in fact here is a reminder of where it all started...in the end I only used the airframe, but this seems a long time ago..

WIP1641_zps5ogka49q.jpg

to this..

WIP1629_zpsl7g4vk4x.jpg

WIP1624_zps98fswysj.jpg

WIP1625_zpsmrgoiiqa.jpg

WIP1627_zps8owh2in2.jpg

WIP1628_zpsrq8w9v1k.jpg

WIP1632_zpsxqct6ojc.jpg

WIP1633_zpszeefdowd.jpg

WIP1634_zps4mr0gafd.jpg

WIP1635_zpsfjnkzoaq.jpg

WIP1637_zpsnwlakq76.jpg

WIP1638_zpsyqsanktw.jpg

WIP1630_zpslq7pcr6f.jpg

WIP1626_zpsiucgnwuh.jpg

WIP1627_zps8owh2in2.jpg

thanks again everyone :)

Peter

Wow, there are no more superlatives to use, Peter, you are a MASTER Modeler, and I'm sure that this will be your legacy to the hobby..... now , I think we need to find a final resting place for this work of art, and it seems to me as it is a "Canadian" aircraft, ( well sort of) with a huge Canadian connection AND the aircraft IS still extant AND still airworthy, the model should reside here in Canada.... as this aircraft has a very large operational history with the RCAF, I think there should be a movement to see if this incredible piece could be displayed for ALL to see at the National Aviation Museum in Ottawa or the RCAF Museum in Trenton, ................. my vote would be NAM Ottawa. I certainly qualifies as Museum Quality, and what a beautiful way to say thanks for a job well done Peter, is for anyone in the world could come and see the airplane and visit the country of it's operational fame? , Anyone think this is any kind of idea?? Maybe we can lobby the Museum in Ottawa to at least foster this idea?  I know I would make the 4500 mile journey to see it........... just a random thought... oh I guess I had better ask Peter if he thinks this is anything to investigate, after all it is HIS model....

Jeff

Guest Clunkmeister

Peter,

This is truly superlative. You'll be up against Karim with his AEG I'm sure, and for the life of me, I don't know how I'd vote...

I don't think I've ever seen a nicer Spitfire, and I've seen more than a few restored birds as well.

thank you everyone. I am quite overwhelmed by your kind messages :)

As I re-read the post, I noticed I had not put up any close-ups, so to really draw this one to a close I am going to indulge myself :)

Peter

Now that is what I was looking for- close-ups!  Other than the hundreds of kind words above that I could have said myself as well, what I like the most about this "model" is how truly inspirational it is for the rest of us mortals to aspire to.  It is quite different from a regular plastic model, because almost all of the parts were manufactured rather than just glued in place, but the exacting detail, the finish, the precise painting and overall perfection is second to no other model that I have ever seen before.  I have to admit that I smiled when you struggled with casting the canopy and pinstripe painting for weeks, not because it made you human, but because I just KNEW you would solve both problems (and several others) completely.  You are very deserving of how proud you are of this masterpiece and I look forward to more airscale magic from Peter in the future.  Bravo!

Cheers,

Chuck

Hey Peter, it's absolutely impossible to add anything to what's already said.  You have rightfully earned the complete and total respect of the entire community here.

If not too much to ask, I would love to see some more shots of the IP if at all possible...now that all is put together!  It's the 'office' that always ties a build together for me, and I know that's an area of particular pride for you as well.  :)

Any chance of some finished 'hero' images of your magnificent gauges? 

As for the rest - what can be said, but BRAVO!!!

Brian~

You write about the pleasure it has given you Peter, frankly that has shone through in every image and every post, again, and again, even the one's where you struggled with that pesky canopy!!

As you can see the pleasure has been well and truly shared... again and again.

Hat's off!

Nuff said,

Torben