Anyone convert a Tamiya F4U-1D to a F4U-4?

1to1scale

I just got a Tamiya F4U-1D yesterday, but I found myslef lusting after the Korean War schemes for it, I have not been able to find any conversion kits. I am considering if its possible to use trumpeter -4 to donate the firewall forward cowlings and prop? 

I realize there are other minor changes in the cockpit area, but they dont seem too difficult, its the front section that seems to be more of a challenge.

Anyone ever try this? 

Edited by 1to1scale

There are more changes than just the engine. For one, the entire cockpit is different than the one in the -1D. I wouldn't call that minor but I don't scratch build that often so your vision may be minor compared to mine.

Edited by Juggernut

I'd wait if I were you...

How long would you recommend waiting?  It would be pretty stunning to get a Tamiya -4 this year.  Very exciting thought though.  I logged in tonight to LSP to start my annual hunt for clues as to the next 1/32 tamiya release.   Started combing some other places I watch for clues and I see no trail yet.

This is the closes to a clue I have seen lately.

Edited by cbk57

As I've said before, and which I will say again, Tamiya is ****not*** going to do an F4U-4. It simply isn't going to happen. Speculate all you want, but it's not going to happen.

Why would you say "I'd wait..." if Tamiya isn't doing one? Is someone else?

Edited by Guest

I'm assembling an Trumphy -4 right now. And I'm very pleased with the kit.

The curious is that I researched a little time ago, just the opposite way: I researched about changes to convert the -4 in a -D. But the number of changes is too much great, that I quit the project, and started the -4 kit as itself.

The front fuselage is different, the engine, the cowling, the middle wing part, the entire cockpit, only to remember a few of them.

In My case I decided to purchase a new one kit, this time a -D.

I have the birdcage Tamiya kit, and despite knowing that the Tamiya kit is exceptional, I decided to buy a -D from Trumpeter for the price, and because the trumphy kit is very good, good enough for what I want.

Paulo.

Edited by tchwrma

As I've said before, and which I will say again, Tamiya is ****not*** going to do an F4U-4.  It simply isn't going to happen.  Speculate all you want, but it's not going to happen.

Sorry Jennings, I respect your work and I know you know your stuff, however when you leave a cryptic wait and see as earlier, it sure sounds like you have knowledge of something, and when the thread was bent towards a Tamiya-4 convertion it was too tempting of a conclusion for me that you were expressing inside knowledge that a 1/32 Tamiya -4 might be coming.

Guest Maxim

Perhaps what Jennings is referring to is that a new -4 is not coming from Tamiya! Perhaps from another manufacturer but he can't say. That's my take on it.

As I've said before, and which I will say again, Tamiya is ****not*** going to do an F4U-4.  It simply isn't going to happen.  Speculate all you want, but it's not going to happen.

If you know what Tamiya is NOT doing, then you should also know what they ARE doing.

....welllll

mr-bean%20sm.jpg