1/32 Trumpeter F-14A Tomcat

Mark Jackson

Wonderful documentation of your build, Mark. Thanks for the extra effort to show us your work. Funny thing about the Tomcat:  We may never see one flying again. I recall seeing them at US Navy airshows in the  80's as they did a slow upside down, gear out, wings spread  "dirty"  flyby of the audience then rolled over, pulled the gear up, swept the wings and then gunned it. Chills if you are into that kind of thing or think Transformers might be real. 

I have been looking for photos on the TF30-P-414A engine and opened up F-14A engine bays but apart from a few in the DACO book they are scarce.  Even the book ones do not provide enough views for an attempt at showing one of the engines outside the aircraft.  It's a shame really as the kit supplies the basic engine shape.

:shrug:

Mark,

Your modeling is exceptional and I really appreciate the clear photo's and explanations.  I will be sure to tune into this build thread often.

If you don't have it already, here is a terrific reference link to "Christine", an F-14D that is being restored.  Many of the panel lines and other details should be the same as an F-14A.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle_f-14d/f-14d_159600_christine_parts/

Cheers,

Chuck

The further I travel in to this build the less faith I have in the kit.  For instance the open panels along the port nose section appear lovely at first glance, but..

34000194325_0e0a6f2a77_b.jpg

33842533572_301f909af6_b.jpg

The rear bay before the port intake looks okay, but when you compare it against photos you realise that the shape is slightly amiss.  Then the clincher - the framing around all the bays should be thin but also extend away from the edge of each bay forming a lip.  The kit has the edge of the bays moulded flush to create the framing; this just won't work.  So a change of plan will see the port nose bays all closed, although the panels do not fit correctly!   :frantic:

Another change of plan means that the front Phoenix pallets have to be on as the two front Sparrow missile recesses are not the same size as the rear ones.

33870437541_1782f13e64_b.jpg

:fight:  Well done Trumpeter.

Mark, your attention to detail is amazing, this is going to be a great build to watch. Having a B and a D in the stash, I'm fairly sure that you're not going to happy with the intakes, but Zacto models make a very good resin replacement, with some fit issues, but with the correct shape and details that need to be seen to be believed.

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to seeing you deal with the kit, great work.

33218389243_14a7a6993c_b.jpg

Currently working on preparing all the parts; Although I do read the instructions to find out key assembly sequences and what needs to be in place before something can be attached, I never follow them page by page in a linear fashion.

I remove all the parts and prep them and label them if required before storing them in a compartmentalised box.  Been doing this for over 30 years and it seems to work for me, I can't be doing with all that switching between cutting off sprue, sanding, gluing, detailing, painting.

Mark

Just catching up and a joy to follow

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I am trying but this kit has areas which are awful.  

33648142820_5d24ca6a36_b.jpg

Bearing in mind that the kits of the 1970's were often the wrong scale, shape and devoid of details like ejector seats - this modern day effort by Trumpeter is a bit soul destroying.  Every time I think that the worst is over something else crops up.  I know Trumpeter's shape and scaling of their kit weapons is hit and miss but is the pylon too short or the AIM-7 too long?