Ok Im in....

Sabre F-86

As I mentioned in the discussion leading up to the GB, I have a Revell UH-1D that I'll do OOB and if theres time I'll try do the trumpeter CJ-5a Nanjang or whatever its called, (Im at work, don't have the box here) That 2 seat trigear trainer thingie.

Sabre

Cool! We don't get enough choppers here!

Should be fun to watch.

You know, I started building this on New Years day. Im already thinking to my self, I can change this, or I could improve that. AMS is a scary thing to behold. I'm fighting it, I'm fighting it.

I suppose adding stuff out of the scrap bin would be a no no? OMG I'm starting to get the twitching awfuls. I must be going into withdrawal...

Sabre

You know, I started building this on New Years day. Im already thinking to my self, I can change this, or I could improve that. AMS is a scary thing to behold. I'm fighting it, I'm fighting it.

I suppose adding stuff out of the scrap bin would be a no no? OMG I'm starting to get the twitching awfuls. I must be going into withdrawal...

Sabre

;)

Remain steadfast!! I promise I don't have a breakdown of the sprues for that kit so I guess if something fell out of the box and onto your kit it wouldn't be so bad. I suffer from it too and yet every time I do a smaller scale kit OOB I really enjoy the refreshing ease.... Go figure, right?

YOu know, I don't think I've ever spent so much time filling ejector marks and sinks or trying to carve flash into something resembling a helos complex control system. I didnt' realize this thing was so long in the tooth. Anyway, I've been working on all the subassemblys trying to make them look good before painting or doing any major assemblys. Going to be a while yet.

I also didn't realize that the inside of the cabin is blank. no interior details at all other than the floor n ceiling, so im scraping down the sidewalls to make them smooth before painting. Im not going to bother with the engine too much, its pretty misaligned and full of sinks, and other distortions. I'll just fix up the top of the transmission housing and clean up the control rods.

I should have some photos during the next couple of days.

Sabre

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, still pluggin along, Im about ready to paint the interior, and finish assembling it into the fuselage before joining the two sides. Been working on the rotor head, armament, (2x 2.75 pods and 4 M-60s) getting them cleaned up.

No pics yet, tried to get some last nite, need new batteries in the camera.

Sabre

• 2 weeks later...

I should be closing up the hull in the next couple of days. (my days off are wednesday and thursday). I have the parts for the interior just about done, some added detailing to the seat backs is all I'm adding, as I will be leaving the big side doors off and the seats are so obviously bare.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what color the big multi bin ammo chest was? Im suspecting OD green for the boxs with the grey tiedown bars and either green or gray straps. I have an italeri kit which has better callouts for colors but its currently in storage far far away.

I've solved the problem of the poor quality of the engine, Im simply going to build it with the doors closed. Anyway I should be posting some picks in the next couple of days.

Sabre

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stuck!!!

I've been trying to paint the instrument panel. Black with grey overlay, grey with black overlay. Liquid mask, BMF mask. NOTHING works. I've tried flowing paint around the bezels, it over runs. I've tried to paint the bezels, It runs over. I"ve stripped the paint 4 x now. Still not getting it to look half decent.

Any suggestions???

Sabre

OH yeh, Im ticked off at Revell for including the weapons system in this kit. Viet Nam 1Ds never had it installed. So why is it there?? Its like the U-505 box. Comes with a VIIC instead of a IX but Nah, they'll never know the difference.

I would start with the black, overall. Then do the grey over the black. I'm assuming the instruments have raised detail...lightly add color to the raised detail using something like a dry bushing technique or you can use a fine point paint marker....for clear lenses you could add a drop of Future wax. Knobs, switches cna be highligted with appropriate colors using a toothpick point as the applicator....

HTH...

Cheers,

ggc

I would start with the black, overall. Then do the grey over the black. I'm assuming the instruments have raised detail...lightly add color to the raised detail using something like a dry bushing technique or you can use a fine point paint marker....for clear lenses you could add a drop of Future wax. Knobs, switches cna be highligted with appropriate colors using a toothpick point as the applicator....

HTH...

Cheers,

ggc

He's right on the mark with all of that. I use Testors clear 'window making' glue instead of Future for the lenses though because for me the slightly thicker viscosity is easier to keep from overflowing the gauges. Personal preference is all.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some photos, not great but the lighting sucks in my shop and the flash didn't fire for some reason. Anyway, here are a couple of (dusty) photos of the front end, and the transmission and rotorhead for the Huey. I'm still trying to get some work done, slow but sure.

107-0774_IMG.jpg

I need to add the belts. Still havent managed to get a good paint job on the instrument panel though

107-0775_IMG.jpg

As noted, I'm planning on keeping the door covers closed, so no one will see the turbine. I'm still adding a few details to the transmission and rotor head.

My shop is a horror for dust.

Sabre

• 4 weeks later...