Photo

Cessna O-2A `Jade 07' Vac forming a new window.

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#31 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

I've been trying to resist getting one of these.  I've got a couple of hundred hours in a very trusty old O-2A that we flew over the Straits of Florida back in the 1990s looking for Cuban refugees.  We had a 337 that was a pig.  Loved that O-2 though...

Nice job so far, and thanks for the pointers on construction!

"It's all part of the show..."

#32 MikeC

MikeC

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:00 AM

Great review, thanks, and it's always useful to have the added interest of the subject.

Talking of which, and hopefully not too far o/t: looking at the range of RAF types he flew, was he at Empire Test Pilots' School?

Edited by MikeC, 21 January 2018 - 07:01 AM.

Michael
IPMS MK
; IPMS Avon Life member; member of quite a few SIGs, including of course LSP/32SIG.

“A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.” – Dmitri Shostakovich

#33 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

Great review, thanks, and it's always useful to have the added interest of the subject.

Talking of which, and hopefully not too far o/t: looking at the range of RAF types he flew, was he at Empire Test Pilots' School?

Not off topic at all Mike, after all, this build is just as much about the man than it is the Machine.

I am pretty sure David said he was at the Empire Test Pilots school. This is a picture (not taken by him)that David sent me of one of the Lightnings that he flew whilst he was there.

EE_Lightning_F.3_XP694_D.29_WATT_16.09.7

Here are some pictures of various types that David took photos of whilst he was over in Vietnam. Hopefully they will be of use to the readers of this thread. Some interesting stuff.

Cessna O-1 Bird Dog on the tarmac at Vung Tau - circa mid 1969. 'Air America' Caribou in the background

thumbnail_three%20quarter%20Bird%20dog-X

019%20Birddog-X3.jpg

This photo of the C-47 was taken at Bien Hoa in mid/late 1969.

Spooky-X3.jpg

F100%20Bien%20Hoa%201969%20%281%29-X2.jp

These photos are of an OV-10 Bronco, 504 TIS, Phan Rang 1969

017%20-%20010%20Bronco-X2.jpg

018%20-%20010%20Bronco-X2.jpg
  • rafju, Kagemusha, Whitey and 2 others like this

Check out and like my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/manscale/

#34 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

Now for a great picture of David. This one will find its way onto a plaque on the base that will accompany the model. Not only is it a fine portrait, but it has a number of very useful details such as positioning of stencil data, weathering, and also the Kangaroo emblem with Snoopy holding a Willy-Pete on the nose.

AWM%20VN70.4.1.10.%20Dave%20and%20his%20

Whilst looking through some of the memorabilia that David had on hand, we came across some stuff that was directly related to his time in Vietnam, and he has scanned it for me and of course you guys.

Plaque-X3.jpg

FAC%20flying%20suit%20patch-XL.jpg

Now, lets look at some more modelling.

Roden had a great idea in the 3 piece nose wheel allowing instant tire tread but unfortunately not the mould quality or engineering to match. It sort of works but the irregular surfaces and sizes of each part don't really match up so most of the grooves need to be sanded off to get the right shape of the tire.

IMG_1105-X3.jpg

Once the shape was sorted, it was off to have a flat spot milled onto the tire. I am shocked at the amount of builds online that whilst looking good, miss such a simple and realism-adding feature.

IMG_1118-X3.jpg

I then worked out where each groove would sit and then placed a thin section of plastic card under the wheel, and rotated it whilst holding a Trumpeter scriber against the tire.

IMG_1132-X3.jpg

I refined the shape of each groove with an RB Scriber to widen them and make them deeper.

IMG_1138-X3.jpg

The finished wheel. I located the grooves slightly outside the kit positions and have rounded off the tire a bit as I felt that it was to square on its edges.

IMG_1148-X3.jpg
  • rafju, Kagemusha, LSP_Kevin and 8 others like this

#35 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

And for those following on that may wish to depict another O-2 with Aussie markings, I have this slightly better image of 10972 which I posted earlier (less cropped)

Tailplane%20of%20Cessna%2002%20Milirole%

I should point out that David mentioned that this one was from a different batch that had a larger pilots window that extended over the top of the fuselage as can be seen of this 2012 photo of the same aircraft, so it will require some modification of the kit.

0000014303-L.jpg
  • LSP_Kevin, Whitey, sandokan and 3 others like this

#36 RLWP

RLWP

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

AWM%20VN70.4.1.10.%20Dave%20and%20his%20

Out of interest, do you know how old he was there?

Richard

• sandokan likes this

#37 Graeme Molineux

Graeme Molineux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

Hi Eric, looks like an interesting build. I'll be watching it.

I drew this very aircraft for David a few years ago. I have done a great deal of work with him in the past. He also flew Sabres out of Ubon during Vietnam.

I may be able to help with graphics for the decals if you run into trouble.

Graeme.

O-2A21368_LRG.jpg

• LSP_Kevin, Phartycr0c, Whitey and 4 others like this

#38 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Hi Greame,

Thanks for the comment and profile. I was looking through your site today and noticed that one above. Very nice. Do you have a period photo of 21368 with both of the roo logos (nose and tail) plus the jade coloured section on the top and bottom of the tail?

For those following, Graeme’s site has an excellent walk around section as well. http://www.grubby-fi...itary_Prop.html

Scroll down for the Cessna O-2 walkaround.

Edited by ericg, 21 January 2018 - 12:09 PM.

• Whitey likes this

#39 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

Richard

I will check and report back for you Richard.

Any other questions that anyone else would like to ask, I will do my best to facilitate.

Eric.

#40 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:12 AM

David sent me these photos and text.

This is the aerial view of Vung Tau airfield. This was a support base with a shortish runaway (no jets). You can see Caribous, Chinooks, Cobras, OV-10 (a visitor), Beavers, Otters and the tiny O-1s and O-2s. We also had the occasional OV-1 Mohawk. This runway is closed and became a taxiway. A new runway was build parallel but out of the left of the photo. The Aussie camp is to the right amongst the trees - and the township of Vung Tau (a French resort town) is by the coast between the hills. You can also see the radar dishes at the top of the hill to the right.

oblique%20aerial%20view%20of%20Vung%20Ta

This the Aussie Base at Nui Dat and Luscombe Field (the airstrip).We were based overnight at Vung Tau but deployed daily to Nui Dat for briefings and operational sorties.

Nui%20Dat-X3.jpg

The roof of the cabin will be fairly visible on the completed mode and I wanted to hide it as well as make the area stronger to minimise the flex mentioned earlier.

IMG_1139-X3.jpg

I cut a section of plastic card to represent the roof lining.

IMG_1140-X3.jpg

Measured and marked some points at 2mm increments,

IMG_1141-X3.jpg

Connect the dots

IMG_1142-X3.jpg

I then scribed each line

IMG_1143-X3.jpg

Fitted. The flex is much reduced and the roof moulding lines etc are now hidden. As this is a fairly thick piece of plastic card, I will do some contouring later on, as well as adding some side fillets that will extend down the walls of the cabin.

IMG_1184-X3.jpg
  • johncrow, Starfighter, LSP_Kevin and 6 others like this

#41 Whitey

Whitey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

Knucks flogging around at tree top height with the VC's pop guns in abundance, below 400 KIAS and without a G suit. Must have been pucker factor 5 I reckon.

RESPECT.

Edited by Whitey, 22 January 2018 - 09:31 AM.

• KiwiZac likes this

#42 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:46 PM

Richard

Here is David’s answer regarding that portrait photo:

I believe the photo was taken by the official RAAF photographer, Fred Adler. The photo is now in the collection of the Australian War Memorial.

Fred flew with me on two missions in the O-2 - to record air strikes by an Aussie Canberra (Magpie).

From memory, Fred took the still photos after one of these two sorties.

The sorties were flown from Vung Tau on the 20th November 1969 and the second on the 25th November 1969. Both were in 10999!

I turned 25 in September 1969.
  • KiwiZac likes this

#43 RLWP

RLWP

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

Here is David’s answer regarding that portrait photo:

I believe the photo was taken by the official RAAF photographer, Fred Adler. The photo is now in the collection of the Australian War Memorial.

Fred flew with me on two missions in the O-2 - to record air strikes by an Aussie Canberra (Magpie).

From memory, Fred took the still photos after one of these two sorties.

The sorties were flown from Vung Tau on the 20th November 1969 and the second on the 25th November 1969. Both were in 10999!

I turned 25 in September 1969.

Thank you

Richard

#44 Phartycr0c

Phartycr0c

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

How about a group build, aircraft flown by David Robson?   thats an impressive list! 

Keep up the good work. I do fancy having a crack at one of these eventually. 

Eagles may soar, but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines!

#45 Winnie

Winnie

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

You got me there! We flew the Cariboo and a few others too. I knew the Aussies had hueys in Vietnam but I did not know about b-57s! Did the Kiwis participate the the SEA wargames too?

Well to be honest the Caribou was a DeHavilland Canada product...

• RLWP likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users