F-16 Thunderbird #1

themongoose

Tonights effort was on the exhaust. Since it's in flight I attempted to light it up. This effort may need improved for future builds. If you have an opinion when you look at it let me know. It won't be very visible on this jet because the nozzle is in cruise and not afterburner in the pose I've chosen.

Here's the individual parts as i painted them. After the color wash I rolled the can sideways to let the paint pool in an attempt to make the striations down the inside of the exhaust housing.

IMG_1079-L.jpg

After an overall wash to try and even out the colors here is what I got

IMG_1080-L.jpg

IMG_1086-L.jpg

I've been puttering around with the exhaust tonight. Seems like I should have more done. You really lose track of time when you're focussed on details don't you! The petals are done in magnesium with a gloss finish. The outside of the ceramic insert is a mix of dark grey and red. Then i cut in the moveable linkage between petals and the details on the fuselage side of the nozzle in duraluminum. I won't paint the fuselage metal sections till I'm all done because I've had trouble with the vallejo colors pulling up with the tape.

IMG_0303-XL.jpg

I thought the inside flames were too red so I went over everything with a yellow wash and then added a skull white and yellow mix up near the flame holder. May do a little more up there. I almost think it's the bright orange/red reflecting off the white that's washing out the flame holder? Once everything was assembled I think it came out pretty darn good.

AC13AF2F-B84D-413B-A5C5-107985A51516-XL.

The through hole you see is for the Tamiya stand. They eliminate the flame holder in the instructions but i found a way to modify the holder so I could put it in.

Edit-forgot to mention my GTResin nozzle isn't in yet so I'm working with the kit parts. Will plan on resining up the future agressor bird i want to do!

Edited by themongoose

Hit the milestone i was hoping to achieve this weekend. I'm traveling this week so i really wanted to have primer on it so there'd be plenty of time for it to dry before the top coat.ive got a spot under one wing where i had to take these small bulges off the wing root to portray the 2004 season aircraft And it probably needs sanded and reworked again. That's it for now. Enjoy the pics and have a great week everyone!

4B961BE9-85A6-4E20-940C-B98EEE6489E9-X2.

86011C3A-FA4D-4C91-B10D-954CFB3B4B9A-X2.

106D2A3A-4DFD-463B-A661-BDCF56249C7C-X2.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really out on a limb now! I've done the upper surface in a grey panel line wash and everything else in light grey.

Hopefully it comes out as nice as my test parts did.

I got the jet intake glued in yesterday. If all goes well it'll be gloss white this weekend.

5F00A607-669D-469C-95BC-B34CE74A1002-X2.

Edit: After looking at the picture above and then going back to look at the plane I wasn't happy with the contrast from front to back along the top. I decided to go over the lines in gray and leave the light gray in the rivets. Here's what it looks like now. I think this will cover better, only time will tell ðŸ»

CEF6CD7C-4274-476C-8DDD-C721FB45DA8D-X2.

Edited by themongoose

Here's a few progress shots. The masks took way longer than I thought, 3hrs yesterday and 5hrs today. Cutting out the reverse pattern to cover the white became a challenge around the very fine pin striping. I ended up using a combo of the Maketar masks and 3M pinstriping tape. Even when using the scissors I couldn't get a smooth, uniform edge.

EF3D6898-4E94-4782-9969-7B6AC496BC2F-L.j

I clear coated the edges 1st, then sprayed the blue. I have 4 coats on it to cover the white primer. It amazes me though that even spraying everything at once i have some sections that look somewhat different, the section behind the nose vs the intake is an example. A couple spots didn't adhere well and i had one spot where the tape came up and I didn't catch it. I'll have to make some touchups for sure. This was more difficult than the F-35 which is the opposite of what i thought when I started. Overall pretty good all things considered.

E882D665-224E-4BDC-A1EB-4B0DE8306EF1-X2.

Here's the top side, all ready for red and adding the cockpit.

75AAC387-44C7-4765-AF2D-AA2E39FD0A0C-X2.

Returned from a week of travel and finally got a chance to finish up the colors. Most of it is still in pieces so it'll be later before I post any big picture updates. For now I've got a first look at the cockpit. Going to gloss coat the pilot, do a pinwash, and then add the decals to his shirt. I used 3 diferent shades of red on him but once I looked at the closeup I could tell it really wasn't showing. I think the pinwash in brown will do it. That will finish up the office! 

IMG_1215-XL.jpg

IMG_1217-XL.jpg

IMG_1214-XL.jpg

Every time I turn around there's more little stuff to do. Pretty good possibility I finish next weekend and can move onto making a display I have in mind.

Got the wings all fitted up tonight! Put the smoke piping on the tail, found another spot of blue to fix (fortunately I can brush it), and repainted the exhaust nozzle after doing something stupid and scratching it  :mental:

Let me know what you think of these panel lines. I did a test section over in Tips & Techniques. I chose the grey panel line accent to put under the paint rather than on top of it. I was trying for just a subtle but defined shadow. 

IMG_0347-L.jpg

IMG_0349-L.jpg