Suggestions for a quiet air compressor?

CANicoll

Mine was £150 if I remember correctly - but had been sat in someone's garage for a few years. I got a bargain.

Equivalent to mine is currently £977 plus VAT new - and, yes, I've bought cars for less, a lot less!  ;)

They are made for the medical sector I believe - and I probably wouldn't be trying to get one via Amazon, but from a Jun-Air agent - or for modelling, off Ebay second hand.  :coolio:

EDIT - just took a look at ebay.co.uk - quite a few second hand for what I consider reasonable money...

Iain

You'd need a pretty sizeable tank for it to last between refills?

Totally depends on how much one work each session.

I got an 8 liter tank which I am satisfied with. I suppose you will need more for priming work of large models, maybe a 24 liter tanks. The price difference is just 10 euro.

Mine was £150 if I remember correctly - but had been sat in someone's garage for a few years. I got a bargain.

Equivalent to mine is currently £977 plus VAT new - and, yes, I've bought cars for less, a lot less!  ;)

They are made for the medical sector I believe - and I probably wouldn't be trying to get one via Amazon, but from a Jun-Air agent - or for modelling, off Ebay second hand.  :coolio:

EDIT - just took a look at ebay.co.uk - quite a few second hand for what I consider reasonable money...

Iain

Good idea, I'll give Ebay a look.  Still in the market so this helps.

Edited by CANicoll

Hi Dean,

My understanding is that the oil should be changed every 2 years and you HAVE TO use the SJ-27 oil.

At least that was stressed to me when I collected mine.

I also have a clear tube attached to the bleed valve that then goes into an old plastic bottle, about once a week I'll drain the tank and I get quite a bit of oil in the bottle. Enough oil that I don't want that getting into my model room!

I seem to recall reading something like 3000 hrs use for oil change (though I did do mine when I got it).

Will have to see if I can find where I got that snippet of info from.

Great to hear it's all working Dean - I really do think the Jun-Air compressors are a superb, high quality, bit of kit.

I also have a more normal garage type compressor with air tank for, well, garage work - and that's *really* noisy  :)

I also have a clear tube attached to the bleed valve that then goes into an old plastic bottle, about once a week I'll drain the tank and I get quite a bit of oil in the bottle. Enough oil that I don't want that getting into my model room!

I just use a milk bottle placed at the end of the bleed/drain valve - and only need to very occasionally (probably 6 months-ish) - mine's just dirty condensate water - no oil!!

I don't think mine's used any oil in over 10 years - I've never had to top it up...

And never, ever, anything but quiet, clean, regulated, pulse-free air to my Iwata  :)

Iain

Actually - current manual doesn't specify an interval:

Oil change

In connection with repair of model 6 motors, e.g. change of valve plate or other internal motor parts or in case the compressor is installed in a very dusty environment, oil change
may be necessary

Iain

A compressor with tank and a timer work better than a silent one. Just set the time to refill for when you are away and only the neighbor will notice. Completely silent at all other times of the day.

I agree with this...

I have a fairly good sized Craftsman compressor I bought to fill car tires and do other automotive work.  I would guess the tank is about 30 gallons.

I got tired of turning on and listening to the hobby compressor, so I finally put a regulator and line on the Craftsman and now use it for all my painting.  It is louder than hell and scares the crap outta me when it kicks on to refill the tank, but that happens very rarely and when it does it only runs a minute or so.  Painting models uses so little air that it almost never causes the compressor to come on.

So I generally have a completely silent, consistent pressure air source.  I swear my painting improved when I started using it in place of the sort of "pulsing" air from my hobby compressor.

Also...it was cheap.  IIRC (it was a few years ago) I paid less than $150 for it....although the regulator and hoses for the airbrush added some to that total.

Since you're in the US, take a look at Silentaire. They're out of Texas but are made in Italy. They're as quiet as your fridge compressor if not quieter.

http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/sil_air.asp

I've been using mine for 26 years he and it's finally starting to give up the ghost. Mine is the 50 9D model. I'm looking to get a replacement for it at the moment but Silentaire doesn't seem to have a Canadian dealer.

There are better prices for it online but it's still on the pricy side but if they can last as long as mine has, I'd say it's worth it.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

• 2 weeks later...

Quiet ?...well...I have a Craftsman with a 40 gal tank...not really that quiet, but it is mounted down in the engine compartment well aft, and I have a manifold on the line ( runs to the filter and separator first ) a hose that comes into the cabin for my airbrush.... I can barely hear it from there, and it seldom runs, as it takes a while to use enough air for it to kick on.

You could do the same by setting one up in the garage and plumbing it to your work space. That's what I had when I lived in a house, but that was with a 220v, 8 hp, 80 gal tank that was hard line plumbed throughout the garage. I just had a regulated line that was plumbed to my hobby room, which had another set of filters and regulator with a manifold to run 4 airbrush lines.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Have any of you looked at the Dental Air Compressors?  This one caught my eye on Ebay - silent - 30L Tank.  < $300.  Chinese made.  I should probably ask my dentist who they use for their compressors.  Love the Jun Airs, but at $500+ a little outside my budget!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Automatic-protector-Dental-Noiseless-Oil-fume-Silent-Oilless-Air-Compressor/112373544946?

Edited by CANicoll

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about an Iwata Power Jet compressor but need to know if it comes with adapters for use with a Paasche airbrush (I'm not buying a new airbrush, only a compressor).  I need a quiet compressor since I now live in an apartment and am not going to be getting a house anytime in the near future.  I've gotta get back to the bench but the compressor I currently have it way too loud to use in an apartment (Craftsman pancake compressor I purchased in 1995).  I gotta have a tank and looking at the one Peter uses, the tank just isn't big enough for my needs so I came across this guy.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/compressors/power-jet/

I ended up buying a badger fTC-910 at Nationals.  Its very quiet (I'm in an apartment too) and has a tank so the compressor isn't running full time.

Good luck!  Let me know what you end up with and if you like it or not.

Chris

Since my older compresseur died, i use this one :

http://www.mecafer.com/1/3/air-comprime/compresseurs/silencieux/6/22/419/compresseur-silencieux-9l.html

It has a 9L tank so it doesnt start every 2 mintues when you're painting, it goes up to 8 bar (more than allowed by my airbrushes), it's pretty silent (about the sound of a pretty noisy old fridge, but i think it's still quite silent for a compressor) and it's not outrageously expensive : about 400€ in french DIY shops.

I dont think it's exported to the US, but there should be similar ones. (it's about the same type than the Jun-air)

Edited by Zero77