Recommendation or Advice on Airbrush???

Nachtjaeger

I wish I had the same success with my H&S brush as you guys do. So far I've not really had all that much joy with it, and much prefer my Iwata. No matter what I do, I can't seem to solve the 'floppy trigger' issue, though I've managed to improve it a bit. It's still nowhere near as snappy and responsive as the Iwata though. I wish I could work out why!

Kev

I wish I had the same success with my H&S brush as you guys do. So far I've not really had all that much joy with it, and much prefer my Iwata. No matter what I do, I can't seem to solve the 'floppy trigger' issue, though I've managed to improve it a bit. It's still nowhere near as snappy and responsive as the Iwata though. I wish I could work out why!

Kev

Get a Grex Tritium pistol-grip airbrush and you'll never go back to those "floppy trigger" models.

I use a H&S Infinity and absolutely love it. I've tried Badger - which was fine - and Aztec - which I hated. But the Infinity is in the very top. I've tried an Iwata HP-CH and that was just as good too. Only thing that makes me prefer the Infinity over the Iwata is the trigger stop system. For fine work you risk drying in the tip. On the Infinity you click off the stop and open up completely on a piece of paper and blow it clean. Click it on again and you have EXACTLY the same stop again. Love that - cannot live without it.

If you are new to airbrushing, then I would say dont go too cheap - learning to airbrush while fighting an inferior airbrush is not smart.

I can definetly agree on not going cheap. Coming from a background in aviation and high performance cars I have always believed that if you cant afford to do it right the first time DONT DO IT!!! Words to live by....... I have looked at the Iwatas, very nice airbrushes.

I've tried the Grex pistol grip air-brushes both at the 2011 US NATs as well as Surgicon 20 last year........I agree it was a quality feeling brush but I could never get used to that pistol style grip. It felt WAY too bulky in my hand and felt myself missing the dainty pencil/pen like feel of my Iwata/H&S Infinity. I also found their nozzles not as capable of getting as fine as I need. VS the Infinty.

I think airbrushing is similar to rigging........each to their own when it comes tovwhst works best, & if U find something that works well for u specifically, stick with it.

I've tried the Grex pistol grip air-brushes both at the 2011 US NATs as well as Surgicon 20 last year........I agree it was a quality feeling brush but I could never get used to that pistol style grip. It felt WAY too bulky in my hand and felt myself missing the dainty pencil/pen like feel of my Iwata/H&S Infinity. I also found their nozzles not as capable of getting as fine as I need. VS the Infinty.

I think airbrushing is similar to rigging........each to their own when it comes tovwhst works best, & if U find something that works well for u specifically, stick with it.

Agreed. I find that the pistol grip means I don't have to think about how to hold the damn thing or whether I'm balancing it properly. It just takes some of the guesswork out of the process.

There's no RIGHT airbrush, I have seen some spectacular models done with rattle cans. But for those of us with less talent, we can "cheat" a little with high-quality tools. :coolio:

I started about 10 years ago with a Tamiya airbrush, nice and well built product, but a PITA to find spare parts. Next i've used a Paasche airbrush, i dont remember which model exactly. It was nice but not the finest i've used. I then gave it to my father when he has started to build models.

And then i discovered the H&S universe.... It was a revolution for me. The first one i've bought was an Infinity 2 in 1, with both 0.15 and 0.4mm nozzles/needles. The 0.15 is damn fine, you can make strokes of about 1mm width. The only problem is the human being holding it (me !), and i cant go really straight on more than a few dozen mm. But it's very fine.

Next i've bought an Evolution, in a package with a compressor (i had to change my old compressor, from USA in 110v, not very handy in Europe) and for the price of the compressor i had the airbrush almost for free. So i was able to have a "fine" airbrush always mounted in 0.15, and another one in 0.4 for less accurate jobs (priming, varnishing, large plain colors....). It is a very good airbrush, pretty similar with the infinity but a bit simpler in conception. All inner parts are interchangeable.

And this year, i've made my self a new present, and bought a new Evolution AL, which has all its outer parts in aluminium, anodized in black. The weight difference is not really noticeable, but when you make long painting job, you can see the difference. The other nice things of this new version (the CR series also have those features) is that most rubber gaskets have been changed for another material, more resistant to hard solvents, and the needle teflon gasket are now 3 instead of only one on the former version. With this triple gasket, i've never had any paint leaking along the needle. Not that it was the case before, but after a long use without cleaning, i always had a little dry paint on the needle, after the gasket. Now i have not.

So if i would have a brand to recommend, it would be Harder & Steinbeck for sure !

• 2 months later...

Well gentlemen I am pulling the trigger on an airbrush. Its between the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS or Iwata High Performance HP-C Plus. I dont think I can go wrong with either. I like the fact that you can adjust the trigger on the HP-C model which will give you consistent results and and helps to minimize any Homer moments....Doh!!! 

I have the Iwata HP-CPlus too but its a little bit fiddly to clean up.. the nozzle (you have to screw it in or out) is so small you easy can lose it... a second problem (just for me.. i'm spoiled by the genious Quick Fix from H&S) is the trigger adjusting screw. There is no direct release or settle for the screw like H&S did it on their airbrushes. But all in all it is a great piece of metal, i like mine.

cheers Chris

I have used the following over the years: Testors Aztek, Badger Anthem, Tamiya/Sparmax, and H&W.  I recommend you think more about priorities than brand.   Gravity feed is an important characterstic, as is metal construction.  Also you should consider ease of cleaning, assembly, and parts availability.  I found the BAdger to be robust and easy to use and take care of.  It was not good at finesse but they are not terribly expensive and make a good starter.  The Tamiya brush is easy to use but has a tiny head assembly tip that is a challenge to remove and clean without risk of loss.  I hated my Aztek in hindsigh because of the plastic assembly tips which I kempt constantly soaking in mineral spirits to keep anything from drying in them. 

The H&W is brutally expensive but is easy to tear down, clean and assemble.  I have bought extras through Chicago Air Brush supply and parts are easily available.  I prefer the Tamiya Brush at the moment for prime use but I purchased quick connects so I can switch instantly to the H&W. 

Look up the manufcaturers website on line and look at their instructions for tear down.  Look at online reivews including U-tube.  There are great air brushes out there. 

Kev.

I think it he meaning H&S.

Alos i do recomend H&S

Great quality for the money, plenty of parts, also them parts can be tossed between models....and custiomise it easily.

I use H&S Infinity Two in one and Evolution Two in One (also with aircontrol...but i don use it)...works flawless and both are armed with 0,2.

I dropped one in the floor....nozzle and needle were done...next day got new parts...easy to get new ones and maintance for spare parts, thats alo a big plus....parts and maintance easily to get without getting ruined.

Alos one major thing that i think everyone that own a H&S...buy that god damn nozzle cleaner...it is a must.....geez i love it....yes and it is worth it.

a647384138a66b7c338700_m__32531.14053202

/Mal

Just got myself a 2nd hand H&S Evolution Silverline 2 in 1 for a really good price. It's only been used once but the previous owner clearly never heard about cleaning an airbrush, dry paint all the way to the back of the needle! Luckily it was just acrylic paint so after about an hour of cleaning it's good as new!

It was indeed very easy to take apart and put back together, you can see this is a quality tool and it looks to be a definite step up from my Badger 100 LG. Can hardly wait to try it out!