Jim Barry

Ok, I know what you are saying..they do not make a 1/24th scale Hawker Fury.. and that's true. So, let's see if I can make one.  This is a dare of sorts because I've not done a scratch project of this size ever, though I have done a series of  five   1/144th  scale planes this past year all from scratch and with reasonable success across a wide range of planes from a tiny Bf-109 the size of a butterfly to a sizable 8" long P-3C Orion. I think I meet the basic prerequisites, though honestly anyone can do this (kindergartners with clay and wood are remarkably fearless artists). That said, there are also the great masters (Alcorn, Woodhouse, Lee etc)  that do this stuff too and we'll have to consider that like another world thing.  Anyway,  If I fail, it might be the dreadful distraction, project boredom and other barriers to seeing things through. It's pretty ambitious time wise (like a year??).   I'm armed with enthusiasm and a love for modeling that has spanned 4 decades (with many breaks of course as many of us  all know). I'm not a perfectionist type person and not trained things technical short of computer programming. I do have a very creative side and consider myself an artist without a real speciality. I dabble and I LOVE PLANES!!!!! 

Currently, I'm still researching the Fury with books on order, and a folder of growing images on my computer. I can't say it's like a dream plane but there seems to some content in the scratch world, typically pre WW2 where scratch works at this scale. I am getting to know it pretty well know over the few weeks,   so it's very likely to grow on me. I've started to test some methods for technique so in some sense I've started. The picture of the tail below is the third round if seeing how I like to work with "spars" and "canvas"  really before I get into it. I've got a little start on the cockpit shell going.  Playing around. 

As I said, the project is not fully laid out, but I'm pretty sure it'll be an exercise in solid forms for the fuselage mostly of styrene and filler and then a vacuformed shell to house the cockpit and engine. I'll perhaps panel the shell with thin metal tape and creative use of strips and Magic Sculpt and whatever comes to mind. 

If you are going to follow along,  I'd love the company.  I'll say sorry up front for how damn long this is going to take but I think this forum has a taste for it. The process is the fun, right? 

FullSizeRender_1_zpss3rlu3sc.jpg

IMG_6783_zpsw0qjlkax.jpg

IMG_6781_zpshputaabh.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsb95ojbie.jpg

Excellent project, Jim. So glad you've chosen to post it here. It definitely fits with what we like to see, and to be honest, a one-year time frame is pretty brief by our standards! It looks like you're off to a great start already, and I look forward to following along.

Kev

Thanks Kev, Torben, Ron

Glad you like it. It's one of those planes that are a little lost in the shuffle of aviation history but close inspection shows it was cutting edge for a plane on duty in the early 30's. They just had yet to figure out how to make an engine powerful enough to make a (production) monoplane work.   One can see a Hurricane just waiting to burst out of it, though. (or the Bf-109 about to be developed using its RR Kestrel engine) . 

Tonight's work was me realizing that one single form for the center fuselage was not a bad idea,  but then recognizing I'd be cutting it in half for the vacuforming I'd have  the styrene form dead center of the cut , and it made me think, perhaps I should just make a left and right form and not risk the cut. I love making the forms, so the more the merrier! 

IMG_6785_zps7lmgunil.jpg

Lots of good time this weekend working on the forms, some which will be be final parts and those around the cockpit to be masters for vacuformed shells. A 1971 Scale Models Magazine came in the mail today from Ebay with an article  by John Woodman about how to scratch build a model  from plastic card. It was "progressive" then and still relevant today (if this is your bag and like old school).  

In project plan news, I decided to skip the engine which is kind of harsh but will be a huge time saver. I can't find a 1/24 Kestrel aftermarket.  I thought I could accept fitting a Merlin in there because no one (or few) could tell the difference, but in the end, I think I'd feel guilty about the swap. Were an engine required, like it was exposed or something, I would do it, but having to complete all it would take with and panel support and removable panels only to reveal to the few souls that will ever peer inside an imposter, just does not sit right.  This build is still somewhat of a trial effort. Someday I'll do an engine, I promise! 

IMG_6826_zps4qmzojpa.jpg

Hubert, Craig, Jim. Thanks for the compliments. Hubert I'm taking notes on your works and am certainly impressed! Jim,  your Hornet is incredible. Craig, I just picked up my jaw off the floor after seeing your B-17.   It's quite exciting to find such expertise and experience here. I'm coming around to the revised LSP way of looking at time and am willing to make a big trade for impact per model.

Edited by Jim Barry

I just love this sort of ambition -and looks like you have made a great start already. I also hanker after one of these (or a Hector) just as an excuse to do a real polished metal litho cowling which I think will look stunning. If you think about going that way when the time comes, please let me know as would love to help out with advice / materials :)

watching with interest

Peter

Peter thanks for joining in and the offers for guidance here. The all metal cowling is turning into my newest interest in the project and I think to do it in real metal will be impressive. I see Litho being used here  and am looking into it now.

Oh,  and now that I make the connections to your project I'm like getting feedback from a ROCKSTAR. Oh, that Spitfire is something else.

Edited by Jim Barry

Why your half way there Jim,hard part is over.  once you make the jump with both feet that is.   :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Seems to be a resurgence in "between the wars" aircraft,very welcomed too as there were some real beauties,anything Hawker.