1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

Yesterday I finally finished the base color coats. The bottom was airbrushed with Tamiya XF-2 White and thinned with Tamiya Yellow Cap 2 parts paint to 3 parts thinner with a flow rate of 16 psi. I must have applied 6 light color coats, then gave it a day to cure. The top color Light Gull Gray FS26440 was mixed with Tamiya paints. XF-19 Sky Gray 2 parts plus XF-2 White 1 part, then thinned with Tamiya Yellow Cap 2 parts paint to 3 parts thinner, and also air brushed at a flow rate of 16 psi.  in multiple light coats. After 5 coats I wasn't really happy with the coverage, so I slowed down my passes and the coverage was what I wanted by the end of the 6th coat. Unfortunately, the result of slowing down was a rough surface texture, and what I call marbling in the wing root areas. After letting the paint cure for two days I polished the entire surface with wet 12,000 micro mesh pad followed by a wet make up sponge. the result was a really smooth surface, but I managed a few light sanding marks, so I air brushed the top with a final light coat thinned 3 to 4. The results are a super smooth surface. Well almost. 

The Black basing primer coats gave me the color modulation in a random pattern I was looking for especially in the bottom white where I wanted the paint to show the effects of oil, grease, and what not kicked up from the runways. This is a Marine Scooter, so it flew from land bases in Vietnam.  One issue is that as usual, the effects are slightly less visual in pictures then up close and personal. 

EMLnsg.jpg

EDyu6Y.jpg

s1poYp.jpg

QmhX8o.jpg

And now a few of the underside of the Scooter

h0Cx7k.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the belly with the contrasting gloss white wheel wells that have already received a few grimy black washes.

jYyb8m.jpg

Joel

JA

Nicely done and your best paint work yet.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Bro,

Thanks for taking time away from the Owl to checkout the Scooter. Glad you've seen the difference in my painting technique, Pays to team up with a great painter.

Joel

Wow that looks just great! Really love how the mottled look makes the model come alive.

Can't wait for the next update!

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel,

I'm really appreciative that you stopped by to checkout the color coats on the Scooter. As for the Black Basing technique, it works extremely well at producing that random mottled effect. I can't take credit for the procedure as I've watched Doog's video at least a dozen times so far. 

Joel

Beautiful Joel!

Tony,

Thanks for stopping by, as always it's much appreciated. 

The Black Basing really has kicked up my painting a few notches, and it's so much easier then pre and post shading. That doesn't negate weathering and a final wash or two, but the base colors look so much more realistic in the effect I'm trying to duplicate.Here's that picture again of a -E from VMA 211

TUGvco.jpg

Joel

Joel, just beautiful mate!

The effect is spot on and I bet it looks even better in real life.

Just one thing, and not to detract from its awesomeness is the demarcation line between the gull grey and white seems indistinct from the photos compared to the real thing?

Either way, it is inspiring indeed

Cheers

Anthony

Joel, just beautiful mate!

The effect is spot on and I bet it looks even better in real life.

Just one thing, and not to detract from its awesomeness is the demarcation line between the gull grey and white seems indistinct from the photos compared to the real thing?

Either way, it is inspiring indeed

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony,

Thanks so much for stopping by, it's always much appreciated. The final color coat effect turned out better then I had anticipated.

As for the hard line demarcation line of the real aircraft vs the soft feathered edge I applied, you're 100% correct. I made the wrong assumption instead of carefully checking the picture, especially since I'm doing one of the aircraft from the VMA 211.  I'll be tapping off the line and creating a hard edge when I do the flying surfaces later this week. 

Again, thanks so much for pointing out my painting error now rather then later when it would be much harder or not possible to correct. 

Joel

No worries Joel, its hard to tell from your pics, but I would not go a full hard demarcation line, maybe a blu-tack roll to spray a slightly feathered edge. It seems slightly soft...LOL, I think I am confusing the situation??

Either way, keep up the awesomeness

No worries Joel, its hard to tell from your pics, but I would not go a full hard demarcation line, maybe a blu-tack roll to spray a slightly feathered edge. It seems slightly soft...LOL, I think I am confusing the situation??

Either way, keep up the awesomeness

Anthony,

Every USN & Marine aircraft I've built through the years has had a soft edge. In 1/48 scale it's almost a fine line, but in 1/32 scale it more of feathered edge. I did use Silly Putty for the demarcation line as I wanted it somewhere in between. I'll take a closer look at the pictures I have of VMA 211 and some other Scooters and see what it should be. Maybe Martin with his extensive photo library can come up with a definitive picture or two. 

Joel

Anthony,

I've checked out several pictures of Marine Scooters, and it does look like a feathered edge. In real life when it's condensed into picture format it gets pretty tight.  In this picture you can clearly see that the demarcation line is feathered ever so slightly, and it's a tad wavy.

vT1mLe.jpg

Check out the nose section and you can see the wavy line. So I guess it's safe to say it's not a hard line. 

8CU0Y4.jpg

but I certainly appreciate your taking the time to check it out.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W