1/32 Revell F-4E - What could possibly go wrong!

RichieB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the squadron walkaround #45 has some pictures you can make out the seam I'm referring to. 

also, there are 4 sway braces for the center line pylon that drop down from either side of the drop tank pylon, their location is outlined on the bottom of the kit.  There are two braces that drop down to stabilize the fins on the tank, the location of these are also outlined on the kit.

oQEa8f6.jpg

xDrdYDs.jpg

RCPyKWL.jpg

Bruce

Edited by Bruce

Many thanks Bruce, just what I was looking for! Some scratch building required here methinks.

Are they rivets or bolts along the tank seamline?

Also, I presume the seam runs only on the left hand side of the tank?

I believe the way the tank was made the center section was one piece of sheet metal that was rolled then the ends were bolted together and the cone ends were riveted on much like the wing tanks.  I'll see if I can find any close ups of the seam.

Bruce

Back to the question of why stenciling was reduced on aircraft, as a retired Air Force pilot, it was my understanding that it was driven by costs. When an a/c went in for R&R and repaint, the time required to cut stencils and repaint them slowed the turnaround times and increased costs so only major items were repainted, i.e. grounding points, jack points, etc.

• 1 month later...

Taking on Bruce's information I added a seam line and some pseudo bolts to the large fuel tank using plastic strip. Having got this far I thought I'd practise some weathering techniques on the fuel tanks before I hit the main event. Firstly the large centreline tank.

40273481174_1549dfd83f_z.jpg

As this tank sits under the fuselage it probably collects its fair share of muck, well that's my working assumption anyway!

I used a Mig Ammo panel line wash then added some random colour patches with oil dots blended in. I then added some fuel and dirt streaks and finally some pigments to show the more obvious dirt.

40940988092_87a1a3c32d_z.jpg

In addition, I've scratch built the braces that come down and sit on the front of the tank though you probably won't see much of them when they're fixed in place!

40090147815_caa2806f10.jpg

Happy so far, so on to the underwing tanks next for more of the same.

Having started I might as well finish with this area, so on to the under-wing tanks. These often seem to have staining around the pylons, joins and seams with varying degrees of dirtiness - so there's lots of scope!

40940988052_cf5418bd03_z.jpg

Weathering was done in stages with panel line wash, some oil dotting (mainly browns), streaking then the odd patch of pigment to simulate dirt.  

27111839218_0e778aa2c0_z.jpg

40982490951_27f3407fc9_z.jpg

I also used pigments to try and dull some of the rather bright stencils.

40273481054_d3d9bc21e1_z.jpg

Mostly there with these now. I might add some different pigment shades if I'm feeling brave however less is generally more so I might see how the rest of the weathering goes. I like the idea of tackling small items in stages as it allows you to concentrate on one thing rather than trying to resolve weathering the whole aircraft in one go. It also give you a bit of practise before the main event!