"Full Bird" 1/32 Revell P-51B

xmh53wrench

Ok, hope yall arent tired of me yet.

With my 1/24 Galloping Ghost nearly done, and awaiting more info on my Mantz and Tsunami Racer, yup, another fictional build.

I really dont know what my fascination is with coming up with my own ideas....excessive creative energy I guess...ya we will call it that. But I had another brain storm last night while taking a bit of a break from the work bench after my Spitfire build.

I want to do this Revell B model up with a sort-of off the wall paint job. Basically an O-6 retiree celebrating his career during "The Big One" purchases a surplus B model and dolls it up and announces to the world "yup I made "Full Bird" Colonel during my career!"

I opted for this back story instead of my original story where the Squadron Commander took some severe liberties with R.H.I.P. and created his own "personal hack".

Here is the proverbial Revell B model kit, havent decided yet if I will divulge the sketch of the paint as of yet....

IMAG0856.jpg

LOL ya'll crack me up.

I really like building these Revell kits, as they allow for a bit of creativity, yet they do hinder getting real crazy with the detail and scratch building, since only the top engine cowling is removable. Ive managed to luck into them for a reasonable price, and they seem to go together pretty quickly.

As far as extravagant and obtuse paint, MARU, you may be disappointed. I am hoping the graphics, color choice(s), and finish will make this one stand out!

As you will see as I trudge along, it will be parked on the ramp, and last night I went ahead and drooped the elevators, and cut out the flaps to start modifying them to be in the down position as well. Who says these old B-Model kits are boring?

BTW, should be "Speed Building 101" pt.? I have actually completed 6 planes since October, and have 5 more on the workbench right now in various stages, and hope to start at least one more P-51 and possibly another Spitfire before I turn into a pumpkin in June and head back out to the garage to thrash on my full size roadster. :mental: :doh:

Well the weekend is here :D .

Got some done during the week, assembled the fuselage and all its innards.

Also positioned the elevators down and added the dorsal fin.

Thus far tonight, modified the flaps and assembled them also in the lowered position.

IMAG0891.jpg

IMAG0888-1.jpg

:D :D :D

OK, we'll get a few build pics out of the way...

IMAG0894.jpg

IMAG0899.jpg

IMAG0903.jpg

IMAG0909.jpg

...and the all done pics

IMAG0915.jpg

IMAG0917.jpg

IMAG0925.jpg

IMAG0919.jpg

IMAG0927.jpg

IMAG0928.jpg

Well another one that I had a total blast thrashing together. I know I made much of the paint, and its probably fairly boring considering all the possibilities. But I really really like it!!! Its exactly what I envisioned. I toyed with various stripes, nose treatments, tail treatments, (as I was afraid it was going to end up to plain) they all ended up very modern and circus-like. So I returned to my original sketch. The Insignia Blue looks really good, though I have to admit a bit Navyish, but I think the wing striping took care of that. This is quickly becoming my favorite model that I have built in the last 6 months, since taking up building P-51's. And I now have a huge soft spot for the "razorbacked" Mustangs. Thanks for all the looks and the great Group Build!!!!

• 2 months later...