P-51D

Monty Python

With Revell bringing out their kit, I wondered which kit manufacturer gives the best offering. According to reports that I've read, the Dragon kit can be counted out so this leaves Revell, Tamiya or Zoukei Mura. Not bothered about the prices just the build and fit.    

I'm building the Revell kit at the moment.

If you're doing an early un filleted Mustang (P-51D-5 NA) and you don't want to open up the engine area I'd suggest the Revell kit is a competitor in terms of detail and fit.

The engineering is clever and ensures that everything 'clicks' together quite firmly. The detail in the 'pit is pretty good and from what I've seen rivals Tamiya's (for example, the distinctive canopy rail with holes and slots is depicted in Revell kit, but not in Tamiya). It's also not as gimmicky in terms of magnets and metal bits to enable positionable parts. Wings are moulded without pesky rivets to fill. I think the weakest point for me is the canopy; it isn't as optically distortion free as I think it could have been. This could be just my canopy as I haven't heard any other mention of this in reviews. I may ask Revell for another to see if it is any better? Could always get hold of a Tamiya canopy (their kit I believe has three variations).

I rather like it (if you hadn't already picked up on that).

Matt

So....we can cut the discussion short:

If you like to display "all-out"....use the tamiya, and if not the Revell release is a very good alternative,cheaper, and uncomplicated........

Yes, unless you must have a filleted fin NOW! In which case it is Tamiya. Revell will do filleted, but maybe in a year or two I suppose (looking at how the Spitfires have gone).

Matt

If Revell comes out of bankruptcy and continues to make models, or someone else buys the business and continues the lines.

That's a shame as the Revell Mustang really looked terrific at Telford.  I have one on order but not sure if I will get one.  :crying:

Chris, I don't think Revell's Mustang (or any other kit from Revell-Germany) is under threat from the bankruptcy, as it only applies to Revell USA. Revell-Germany operates independently of this, and is outside the scope of the Chapter 11 filing.

Kev

As Hobbico is the owner of Revell-Germany, it's affected indirectly by the filing (RoG is one of the assets that will likely be sold off as part of the bankruptcy). What effect occurs is something only time will tell.

Hobbico's problem is largely their long-time mismanagement of their RC business. As such, I expect the non-RC divisions to get sold off relatively quickly as they're still quite valuable (Estes and the two Revell operations most notably).

I'd still bet that someone will offer a resin fin fillet.

I'll be making my own if/when I need one.

From Revell UK's press officer :

Revell-Germany announced that its parent company, Hobbico, Inc. (“Hobbicoâ€) filed a petition for relief under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code while it seeks an orderly finalisation and implementation of its comprehensive restructuring plan. In conjunction, Hobbico also announced its plan to sell the company.
Because Hobbico's bankruptcy filing was made in the United States and is strictly limited to the company's U.S. operations, Revell-Germany is unaffected. Additionally, Revell-Germany suppliers, vendors and customers will not be impacted by the process.
“Our Revell-Germany operation is not filing for bankruptcy protection,†said
 Louis Brownstone, President of Hobbico, Inc. “It will continue to provide the same high-level of service to our customers. We are optimistic that the filing will better position the U.S. operations for future growth.â€
“Most important for all of us at Revell-Germany, we continue to operate ‘business as usual' moving forward,†said Stefan Krings, President of Revell-Germany. “Looking ahead, our top priorities remain continuing to build our business with our high-valued vendors and suppliers, while simultaneously providing the same high-level of product support to our customers.†

From January 31 to February 04, 2018, Revell will be present at the Nuremberg Toy Fair presenting its new products for 2018.

:popcorn:

Edited by mmaben

As Hobbico is the owner of Revell-Germany, it's affected indirectly by the filing (RoG is one of the assets that will likely be sold off as part of the bankruptcy). What effect occurs is something only time will tell.

Hobbico's problem is largely their long-time mismanagement of their RC business. As such, I expect the non-RC divisions to get sold off relatively quickly as they're still quite valuable (Estes and the two Revell operations most notably).

While you're probably right, here's the press release put out by Revell-Germany, via Spencer Pollard:

Revell-Germany announced that its parent company, Hobbico, Inc. (“Hobbicoâ€) filed a petition for relief under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code while it seeks an orderly finalisation and implementation of its comprehensive restructuring plan. In conjunction, Hobbico also announced its plan to sell the company.

Because Hobbico's bankruptcy filing was made in the United States and is strictly limited to the company's U.S. operations, Revell-Germany is unaffected. Additionally, Revell-Germany suppliers, vendors and customers will not be impacted by the process.

“Our Revell-Germany operation is not filing for bankruptcy protection,†said
Louis Brownstone, President of Hobbico, Inc. “It will continue to provide the same high-level of service to our customers. We are optimistic that the filing will better position the U.S. operations for future growth.â€

“Most important for all of us at Revell-Germany, we continue to operate ‘business as usual' moving forward,†said Stefan Krings, President of Revell-Germany. “Looking ahead, our top priorities remain continuing to build our business with our high-valued vendors and suppliers, while simultaneously providing the same high-level of product support to our customers.â€

Although Revell-Germany is not part of the filing in the United States and will continue to operate its business, the sale of Hobbico could have future implications for Revell-Germany. The decision by Hobbico to file for bankruptcy and pursue a sale of the company allows Hobbico the opportunity to reduce their debts, restructure their liabilities, attract new capital investment and position the overall company for future growth.

From January 31 to February 04, 2018, Revell will be present at the Nuremberg Toy Fair presenting its new products for 2018. “We are convinced that we can continue the growth path of 2017 with our attractive range of novelties and welcome our international customers in Nuremberg,†says Krings.

Kev