Spitfire MkXIV

This is just a short update, so anybody who's interested will know that I WILL be finishing this model.(thanks for the interest derek B, really admire your style!) As I gain practice with my scriber(s), it will go much quicker. Thanks to everybody for the replies, it really keeps me going. Kinda tired right now cause of all the scribeing I did tonight. Can't wait for this weekend so I can really start slamming on this thing. More pics to come! Later, Russ

Hi Russ,

I like your radiators - they have come out very well, haven't they! The radiator matrix on these aircraft are reasoably difficult to replicate in model form (have a look at some Spitfire walkaround websites). They are made up of two or three seperate matrix blocks (some are oil coolers, the others glycol). Probably a good way of representing this area is to obtain some automobile fuel filter copper mesh - this is very fine mesh. Glue the mesh onto either internal face of your radiators, and on the front radiator faces, in front of the mesh, glue some very fine vertical strips of evergreen plastic strps to represent the vertical bits of the radiator matrix. All you need to do is add a small 'u' shaped pipe to the underside of the wing inside the radiator opening, then you'll have a very convincing radiator.

On your particular mark of Spitfire, the undercarriage oleo leg differed from the early Spitfires in terms of design (it was 'beefed up' a little), and gad scissor torque links. However, the leg overall length and rake angle remained the same as all earlier marks of Spitfire. The 'air intake' under the wings (cannon expended cartridge chuts?) are only a feature of early Spitfire marks, and are therefore not applicable to your mark of aircraft. I am sure that more knowledgable members of this website (such as the venerable Mr. Brooks) with Spitfire expertise can either correct me, or enlighten you more.

HTH

Derek

Russ, your model is looking good

You may find the following pictures of a Mk XIV of some help, they do not convey it to well, but the radiators do not sit on a continuation of the wings aerofoil section as the wing skin is recessed upwards to allow for very deep rads. Peter Cook (I think?) did some very good drawings of the Griffon Spits which show all of this detail, Scale models published them many years ago.

post-1600-1207850131.jpg

post-1600-1207849908.jpg

post-1600-1207849943.jpg

Incidentally, I believe the U/C rake is unchanged.

I have a whole set of pictures taken of this un restored late Mk XIV, just shoot me an email if you need anything in particular as I may be able to help.

Mark

Hi Russ,

looks very promissing job. Those Mk XIV really have a great look

Keep my offer in mind: I have been leaving in the UK for years and have loads of shots taken from various plane museums (lots off in UK) that may be of great help.

If interested, drop me an e mail at desmoloic@yahoo.fr

Day 6; Whew!, glad the rake of the undercarriage didn't change, that woulda meant having to redo the wheel wells. :P Didn't know if the heavier Griffon would have made that necessary. Thanks for the tid-bit about the scissors on the U/C legs derek B! I hadn't got that far yet, but it I probably woulda missed it. Neither of the kits I'm using have those parts, but easy enough to fab. Thanks for the heads-up! Don't see the u-shaped thing you are talking about in the awesome pictures Ridge Runner was so kind to provide. These pictures are worth a million words Ridge Runner! Very, very cool. Thanks :unsure: My radiators have now had the openings thinned down for a more scale appearance. Also, because of these awesome reference shots, I have opened up the rear to have the cooling flaps dropped with the actuating rods. Underside of the wing and radiators is scribed(including all 26 circular inspection holes, geesh), and I'm redoing the shell ejection chutes. Still looking for a way to get a good "recess" on those radiator interiors. Wish I'd had these pics earlier before I built the wing up. sigh.

Moving to the top of the wing......

post-4413-1207916679.jpg

This is the next bit of surgery. Cannon bulges location on the top are different than early marks also. At this point, I have my choice of bulges also, depending if I want a late, or early C wing.

The later marks had a different 20mm gun. Also the early were drum fed, later are belt fed, so hence the different location. bottom bulge is already taken out, but the ejection chute locations are different also, cause of the cannon change and the capability of having a 50cal. alongside the 20mm.(outer 303's would have been removed to do that though) I still have to put the 50cal. "nub" on the wing, and the restyled cannon fairing after I finish handling/filling/hacking.

Early Cwing bulge location and style on right wing. Late Cwing would have just one of the more streamlined bulges shown on the Mk22/24 cover shown(not both). Got the clipped wingtip profile on the wings, and will be fairing in tomorrow. Kinda an eye opener about this conversion. Thoght it was going to be all about the motor, and rudder. It's more about the wing!

Angled the light to get some surface contrast, and my .303 browning access panels look like I drilled thru the wing! Trumpeter rivets, eh?! Just a trick of the light. Again, thanks all for the valuable feedback...much appreciated. Wing should be done by Saturday, then it's on the fuselage! More pics coming, when I have better light. Russ

Coming along wonderfully Russ. I think that the tube in the location I was referring to (probably a de-icing tube) was for the smaller radiators up to about mk. XI. I think that they are still present on the Mk. XIV up, but were now smaller, and there may have been more than one (located on the internal sidewalls of the radiator - either side of the cooling matrix). I am still trying to find some good pictures to confirm this, but hopefully, some other LSP members may be able to confirm this, and maybe even have some good pictures already?

In the meantime, here is a Spitfire XIV walkaround linky for you.

Cheers

Derek

Russ,

Drop me an email, have some Spitfire stuff that will be of help to you.

I did one awhile back, about a year or so ago...so if I can be of assistance, let me know. The model was on the cover of FSM in November of 2006.

spitxiv_001.jpg

Jeff

Beautiful conversion there Jeff - very clean (it could be in any scale - it's that good). Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers

Derek

Russ,

Drop me an email, have some Spitfire stuff that will be of help to you.

I did one awhile back, about a year or so ago...so if I can be of assistance, let me know. The model was on the cover of FSM in November of 2006.

spitxiv_001.jpg

Jeff

Great looking model Jeff!!!! Please feel free to post more pics and/or info on how you pulled it off...what you started with...and if you used any resin conversion parts on this thread. This thread is more about info on how to do this conversion, than it is about ME chopping up a(uh-2) perfectly good kit(s)! Wouldn't happen to have a front view of that bad boy, eh?!

Thanks for the link to that site derek B! I'm in research mode right now. Can't believe I started this without a stack of pictures/info. :rolleyes: For instance; humming along on the wing, when I realized I've never seen a pic of a Mk.XIV with a "C"wing. Haven't seen a pic of a clipped wing one either til I saw the link.(gee, I'm planning this real well, huh?) So...it looks like the "big cannon bulge" is out, and I will be going with an "E"wing. No big whup, the planform of the wings is universal, the panel lines and bulges just change, and I've got a smooth wing now as a basis. Any spit freaks know if a "C" wing is an option for me? Oh yea!, looking for the Mk.VI props/spinners you're looking for that scratchbuild, I ran across the clipped wing tips one of my parts boxes. Sweet!

Thanks for the compliment LSP-Dave. Haven't got much to show yet. Wish I had that light sabre for doing my scribeing with! Wouldn't that be cool? Probably put my eye(s) out with that.

So, tonight it's cannon bulge install and working on recessing my radiators better. I know Kevin can't wait to see me start slathering(I mean surgically applying) 2 part A-B expoxy putty to make everything mate together. Wingtips are now a non-issue. Learned to cope with scribeing by making a chocolate milkshake and watching 3 Stooges clips if I get a large section done. It's called "positive re-enforcement"...kinda like giving a lab rat food for pressing the right button. B) Should have more pics tonight, just stopped in to look at what everybody else is doing. Russ

First Week! Day 7. Wow, one full week of my chuckle headed blundering thru this build. :blink: Never had to document a build before, so I've learned a little time mgt. So...I'm always one day ahead of these posts. Here's what I woke up to today. Got the old cannon bulge locations filled in- rough-fabbed some new barrels/mg nubs-FINISHED scribeing the wing(hahahahahah-"crazy tripping laughter" :ph34r: )-got the wingtips on-and hacked/scribed out the radiator INSIDES to make them as semi-recessed as I could. breathe. I'm like this now cause scribeing has driven me mad. But I digress.

post-4413-1208073897.jpg

Ahhh, Saturday morning build time at last. Time for some color.

Day 8. This is where I'm at now. Cut new shell ejection chutes, and added a quick pin wash so I could show ya'll my scribe job. Also, a little zinc chromate around the radiators (and other filled) areas to show how I "recessed" them a little more, and just cause I thought it'd look cool. Cooling flaps/lowering mechanism is left off for now til I'm done dropping...er, handling it. Wing walk-around.

post-4413-1208074490.jpg

Whaddya think of my first scribe job?