Tamiya JASDF F-15J Eagle Aggressor

dmthamade

Hello all!!  This is my first time participating in a group build on the LSP forum. I'm going to build Tamiyas F-15J as a JASDF aggressor bird. The build itself will basically be OOB, i will be adding decals from Two Bobs. When issued these decals were long hoped for, since then i haven't seen more than one or two builds with these decals. Funny how that happens with a lot of asked for sheets it seems. I will probably source the drop tank from a Bunker buster kit or the Revell F-4 kit to replace the undersize Tamiya part. I might also use an ALQ-131 from AMS Resin as i have seen pics of the Aggressors carrying these on the centerline.

IMG_2977_zpsf3727443.jpg

For reference i wil use pics from the 'Net as well as Model ART book Tactical Fighter Training Group. Cover the aircraft and gives color callouts and schemes.

IMG_2976_zpse669402f.jpg

Don

Ah ha! I almost entered my Revell Eagle, but as most of the rear fuselage was already assembled and I put some considerable effort in thinning the trailing edges of wings, stabilisors and elevators, I deemed it to be already over the 25% limit. :)

Which specific plane are you planning to build?

Don will be watching very close to your build.  I got a couple of these in the stash.  I love the paint schemes on Japan's F-15's.  I just wish someone would come out with all the small data you see on them especially the two seat ones.  Dan

Ah ha! I almost entered my Revell Eagle, but as most of the rear fuselage was already assembled and I put some considerable effort in thinning the trailing edges of wings, stabilisors and elevators, I deemed it to be already over the 25% limit. :)

Which specific plane are you planning to build?

I'm planning on doing 92-8912. There really isn't a lot of choice when doing a single seater. The two seaters have more choices, but the co$t to convert Tamiya$ Single to a twin i$ a little $$$$. There are three different schemes for 92-8912, the differences being in the colors, layouts look to be the same.

Don will be watching very close to your build.  I got a couple of these in the stash.  I love the paint schemes on Japan's F-15's.  I just wish someone would come out with all the small data you see on them especially the two seat ones.  Dan

The kit decals are pretty comprehensive as are the Two Bobs sheets. Advantage of the Two Bobs sheet is that the data, numbers and stencils are printed on a grey background so there is no masking needed. I have to tell you, doing all the stencils will test your patience, but where a F-14 in a grey scheme looks OK without stencils etc., a JASDF F-15 will look wrong without them, unfortunatley.

This will be my fifth Tamiya Eagle. The last one i did was in 2006, hopefully i'll remember some of the pitfalls of the kit. I've done two F-15E Strike Eagles, one F-15C and one F-15J. Some pics.

This E was inspired by Don Gentiles Mustang with the Shangri La nose art. After seeing the Cutting Edge decal sheet and the print by Wade Meyers, i had to do this . The mustang came along in 2011 when decals became available for the Trumpeter B.

IMG_2978_zpsc6e4dcc5.jpg

IMG_2979_zps7e673282.jpg

IMG_2980_zpsf8a22371.jpg

This is another E with a bogus load, i don't think it would make it off the ground.

IMG_2984_zpsb880e2e6.jpg

IMG_2983_zpsdd359be3.jpg

F-15C from Kadena in Mod Eagle colors, too bad the stencils etc are for the old scheme.

IMG_2984_zpsb880e2e6.jpg

IMG_2985_zpsc365ebdb.jpg

This is a stablemate to the Aggressor i will build, A F-15J with Shooting Eagle noseart.

IMG_2989_zpscd57dcc8.jpg

IMG_2990_zps6787b2ba.jpg

Don

For some reason, I usually start on the intake tubes. I've found the kit intakes to be a bit "fun" but with a little work can be ok. The first thing I do is cut the upper half apart as shown. Doing this gives me the flexibility to force the alignment of the sides. The center piece I keep to align and reinforce the assembly after i'm done with the tubes.

IMG_2991_zps095a2557.jpg

IMG_2992_zps5801ef3f.jpg

Next modification I do is to the bottom front of the lower half. I cut a slot into the part 2 inches deep. This allows the sides to spread open so the fit at the front becomes flush. I use Evergreen stock to fill the gap.

IMG_2994_zps7e32edce.jpg

IMG_2993_zps6896498c.jpg

Not the greatest pic.

IMG_2998_zps4793e350.jpg

The fit at the bottom front to lower fuselage needs minor work to improve the fit.First pic shows stock fit.

IMG_2999_zps8355ff0d.jpg

Under the lower half of the intake is the raised boss to locate this part. I cut this off flush and open the hole.

IMG_3002_zpsb502d7f0.jpg

Doing this allows me to play with the fit and provide a flush fit.

IMG_3000_zps7a6efbc2.jpg

Last mod is to cut through the upper piece of the lower half. This allows the sides to spread and allow the upper intake half to align with the bottom. This part is covered by the intake parts and upper fuselage. If you do the build with the intakes down this will show.

IMG_3003_zpsf0fb3943.jpg

HTH  Don

It takes a little work, but you can usually do these with minimal putty work. More intake work follows. On the left side tube there is a locator tabe on the side of the upper and lower parts. Cut this off as it interferes with with the lower fuselage half. Outlined in black in pic below.

IMG_3004_zpsb2c00468.jpg

I reinforced the lower intake foor with sheet plastic.

IMG_3006_zps1ba364bf.jpg

The fit of the upper to lower haft is off at the front, it has  wedge shaped gap here. You can try clamping and filling, or with a razor saw and two cuts, one on each side, you can close the gap. Will need much less filler, now.

IMG_3007_zpsccfa0ae5.jpg

IMG_3008_zps188aff21.jpg

HTH

Don

The Eagles have about 2ft of the front of the intake painted the outside color. To mask this off so I could paint these assembled i'm making up some masking plates. These are made of thin sheet styrene so they flex a bit to install. They're glued to a long piece of sprue so I can install and position them.

IMG_3010_zps7987f3ff.jpg

IMG_3011_zpsc70d08fe.jpg

IMG_3012_zps8b317740.jpg

Blue mark tells me when I have them positioned right, referenced to the back of the tube.

IMG_3013_zps59e706ec.jpg

Front view, might back these up with small pieces of foam glued to the back of the plate to act as additional barrier.

IMG_3014_zps9eba5235.jpg

I had a set of these made up for my previous Eagle builds, but lost them after a while.

Don

Edited by dmthamade

Don, nice work on filling the gab with the minor cuts to the upper part. It sure minimizes the need for filling/sanding. :)  Also, interesting approach on help with internal painting. I had ponder that several times what will be the best method. Here's a nice twist to you idea, in a good way of course ;), look into this item for helping with your interior painting of the intakes.... 

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Wedge-Cosmetic-100s/dp/B003BMGAFI/ref=sr_1_9?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1386913947&sr=1-9

You can find it at any store that sell make-up stuff. I have seen guys on other forums use it for the very purpose with great result. It's fine but dense texture helps with a tight fit for painting and easy to remove once done. And a bag of it is big enough that you can share with your other 1/2... :coolio:

Anyway, good work all around. :thumbsup:  

:popcorn: