1:32 SR-71 Blackbird

MikeC

I had this email from Jeff in the middle of May when I ordered my 1/32nd Anson from him....may interest some people?

"Hello:

Glad the PT-19 is coming along.   I'm still tinkering with the masters for the U-2.   Almost done.    Let's use the old pricing on the Anson........
    Next up in 1/32 will be the Me-109 Zwilling.  

TNX...............Jeff"

Max

I thought Lee was going to post some pics of the one he bought, but maybe I imagined that !?

There was talk over male vs female moulds, everyone agreeing this subject deserved female to get the corrugated surface detail.

U-2 would be interesting if it's a big wing.

Tony

I thought Lee was going to post some pics of the one he bought, but maybe I imagined that !?

There was talk over male vs female moulds, everyone agreeing this subject deserved female to get the corrugated surface detail.

U-2 would be interesting if it's a big wing.

Tony

Hi guys, here is my thread, pics begin at post #28........

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=55790&hl=blackbird&do=findComment&comment=669228

Now a 32 scale injected SR-71 would be nice! I wonder how well it would sell?

The success of that kit would depend on the retail price, I would think.

After all, it is a rather esoteric aircraft; it is not a hot shot fighter or bomber that deals explosive death left and right.

It is a quiet, laid back aircraft, it flies its mission, no one dies, nothing gets blown up. It arrives at its departure point at the end of the mission and the pilot goes home to his wife and family, takes out the garbage and sits down to dinner with his family.

Ho hum.

Thus I can see it as a vacuform kit but not as a resin or an injection molded kit.

Stephen

P.S. I could see it being produced by an unusual  company like WNW, which is the kind of manufacturer that existed in the 1930's, '40's and '50's. Back then the company was owned and directed by individuals who produced the kind of kits they wanted to produce. Back then they did not have guys who had their MBA degrees from schools like Wharton and who read the Wall Street Journal at night to their children.

Edited by ssculptor

There was also the very hot YF-12A of which 93 were to be built as F-12Bs for ADCOM, before project cancellation - would make a great model with those AIM-47 missile bays and sinister matt black paintwork.

I think it would be a roaring success in 1/32 IM form. Pity Hong Kong Models don't do jets as they would do a great job with the SR-71, and other big plastic (B-58, F-111 etc)

Tamiya will never do it.

Maybe somebody, one day, will design 3D printed detail parts to make these big flat-pack vac kits more accessible. Hope so

Tony

Not a hot shot fighter or bomber, but anyone with a modicum of aircraft knowledge would recognize it immediately. Like the Dr.I, Spitfire, Mustang and 109 - it's an icon. If I could get an IM kit in 1/32, I'd buy it in a minute.

There was also the very hot YF-12A of which 93 were to be built as F-12Bs for ADCOM, before project cancellation - would make a great model with those AIM-47 missile bays and sinister matt black paintwork.

I think it would be a roaring success in 1/32 IM form. Pity Hong Kong Models don't do jets as they would do a great job with the SR-71, and other big plastic (B-58, F-111 etc)

Tamiya will never do it.

Maybe somebody, one day, will design 3D printed detail parts to make these big flat-pack vac kits more accessible. Hope so

Tony

Tony, if  had a B-58, F-111, and the SR-71 in 32 scale I would sell every other kit I had and devote the rest of my modelling life to these three kits alone!

The Blackbird is one of those kits like the Komet, Ho 229, Flying Pancake or similar experimental aircraft that would sell despite not having as many actual prototypes as a Mig 21, Mustang, Spitfire or 109. There is a huge fan base for this one, and in this case, it had a long history of significant contribution to the Cold War efforts. It didn't have to shoot, but then neither did a lot of other recon planes. And the drones were extremely cool... Imagine them in 1/32 also. Nice.

Tnarg

as bad ass as the SR71 is and as much as I would like to entertain the idea of building one, I just wouldn't, I'm sure this would be a triple bills kit, and or north of that at the minimum.

But hey, I'm all for makers putting kits out there, the more the merrier!