Monogram/Revell F3F-3

rock1947a

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know what updates or corrections are needed to improve the 1/32 Monogram/Revell F3F-3 kit? The only aftermarket accessories I can find are the Lone Star cockpit and Yellow-Wings Decals.

I think I remember once reading that the wingspan needs to be adjusted, but I can't find the details about it anywhere. From what I recall, the F3F-3 kit wings are based on their Gulfhawk II kit, which supposedly should have had a different wingspan. Am I mistaken about the wingspan difference? Do the F3F-3 upper and/or lower wings need to be lengthend or shortened between or outboard of the inter-plane struts? Numerous internet searches haven't provided this information. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Any information or direction would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, and I hope your projects are progressing enjoyably.

Pete

Pete, according to the sqdn book the upper wing is the same:Gulfhawk to F3. The original gulfhawk is in the smithsonion, so you may find info there. I have this bird in the stash, and would like to see some pics of the lonestar 'pit, if possible.

Hi Mike. Thanks for the tip about the Smithsonian. I'll check it out. It sure would simplify things not to have to modify the wingspan. I still have a nagging memory about a magazine build article several years ago stating that the kit wingspan is too short. I'll go with the squadron book info if nothing else turns up.

I just ordered the Lone Star cockpit yesterday without having actually seen it. I have some of their other accessories, which I found very useful. If it turns out not to be "perfect", at least I expect it to be a time-saving starting point. When I receive it, I'll try to post some pics of it for you.

Thanks again for your help.

Pete

Purely anecdotal observation, but I've read that at some point the Gulfhawk had F2F wings fitted, whether upper only or both, I don't recall. I don't know what wing configuration the plane has as it's displayed at the Smithsonian. Nice to know Lone Star has a resin 'pit for it. That and the appropriate Vector R-1820 engine, and sand down the exagerrated fabric effect on the wings, and a real stunner could be done!

Right! I need to examine my references more closely. The Squadron book includes a photo of the Gulfhawk on page 44, which the caption says had F2F-1 wings with a wingspan of twenty-eight feet six inches and the fuselage of an F3F-2. On page 37, the specifications for the F3F-2 indicate a wingspan of 32 feet, so it seems the F3F-3 wingspan should be 3 1/2 feet wider if the same wings are included in the both kits. When I receive my kit, I'll be able to measure the wings to come to a proper conclusion.

I forgot about the Vector R-1820 engine. For anyone else who might be interested, it's their product number 32-004.

Thank you for your interest Astro32, and also to Mike for referencing the Squadron book.

Right! I need to examine my references more closely. The Squadron book includes a photo of the Gulfhawk on page 44, which the caption says had F2F-1 wings with a wingspan of twenty-eight feet six inches and the fuselage of an F3F-2. On page 37, the specifications for the F3F-2 indicate a wingspan of 32 feet, so it seems the F3F-3 wingspan should be 3 1/2 feet wider if the same wings are included in the both kits. When I receive my kit, I'll be able to measure the wings to come to a proper conclusion.

--snip--

Pete,

The bad news is that Monogram's 1/32 Gulfhawk and F3F kits both have the shorter Gulfhawk — i.e., F2F — wings. The good news is that those Gulfhawk wings are shorter than F3F wings by precisely one [correction: three] inter-rib distances on each side, so you can make a proper F3F wing very easily by using the wings from two Gulfhawk and/or F3F kits.

Charles Metz

Edited by CharlesMetz

Hi Mr. Metz.

Thanks so much for providing the information I need to extend the F3F-3 wingspan.

Do you know if the extensions should be made inboard or outboard of each of the inter-plane struts? I'd like to make the correction in the proper area of the upper and lower wings.

I greatly appreciate your help, as well as everyone else who provided information or are interested in this subject.

Pete

Pete,

I took photos of this kit for a LSP review which I just can't find for some reason. Anyway, Dr. Metz is right. Here are some pics of the kit parts against 1/32 drawings:

Fuselage is Ok, except for the rudder:

post-3-1224217815.jpg

My drawings reveal the upper wings short by about three inter-ribs spacings each (Dr. Metz mentioned one). However, I don't recall if the number of ribs on the drawings I used matched the kit:

post-3-1224217824.jpg

Lower wings short by about the same. Note the slightly short ailerons:

post-3-1224217832.jpg

Stabilizers ok.

post-3-1224217838.jpg

I have a soft spot for this model, but the correction of the wings has kept me away from it. At some time, I planned to resin copy the wings and cut sections of the copy to lengthen the kit parts. Well, that was the plan then...

I'm very curious about LS pit. Please post some pics here whenever possible - or even better, write us a review if you can.

Rato

Hello Rato.

Wow!!! Thank you for sharing your research with me (and the other LSP members/visitors interested in this Golden Age aircraft). The images are just what the Doctor ordered. :lol:

Did you create the plan drawings yourself, or is there a source where I could obtain/purchase them? Judging from your rudder comparison, I think it might not be too difficult to cut the base of the rudder/stabilizer from the fuselage and add a shim to the bottom to conform more to the correct dimensions. I'm afraid it might make the tail look out of proportion with the fuselage spine though. What do you think?

I'll be happy to post the best pictures I can of the Lone Star cockpit when it arrives. I'm a little confused about what the set contains, because their website describes product LSM 0286 as an "F3F-3 cockpit", but a Google search refers to a 2006 announcement for "1/32 F3F cockpit wheels and radio comparment for Monogram kit". In any case, I'll be happy share a description and photos of whatever is delivered with you and this forum.

Thanks a million for sharing your work with me, and for your help. Maybe by comparing notes with everyone interested we can come up with a reasonably acceptable upgrade of the basic kit that isn't too difficult, time-consuming, or expensive. Hope to hear your opinion (or anyone else's) about my rudder correction approach soon. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Pete

Pete wrote:

Maybe by comparing notes with everyone interested we can come up with a reasonably acceptable upgrade of the basic kit that isn't too difficult, time-consuming, or expensive.

Hear! hear! It sounds like Rato, and Charles have the best info on an accurate bird. If the accurizing work can be narrowed to say: an upper, and lower wing insert, lower aileron, fuselage extension plug/ rudder bit, and last some bits for the 'pit, it might be possible to sell, say, 12 worldwide. I have been thinkin on these birds, as there are what, 5-6 yellow wing planes out; some basic enhancements would sure breathe a little life into them. Yellow wings decals has sure helped w/ some modren decals and markings info. Even if some bits were provided just for LSPers, spreading some of it around would help keep costs down, and provide some modelling fun. I guess a basic PE set would be grand; thinkin "seat" here!

..... and there's always the chance that someone at a contest will say: "that model just looks a little different. I can't quite say why, just a little different".

Pete,

I stand corrected: As Rato stated, the F3F kit's wing is in fact too short by three inter-rib distances on each side. Drawings aside, my references — e.g., Aircraft Profile No. 92 and Aircraft in Action No. 160 — indicate that the F3F's wingspan was 32 feet even. The kit's wingspan is 28.5 scale feet, leaving a shortfall of 42 inches. I measure the kit's inter-rib distance as 6.86 scale inches, so adding three of those distances on each side increases the kit's wingspan to a scale 31' 11.2": close enough to 32' for most of us, I think.

Profuse thanks to Rato for pointing out my error, which I've corrected above. At the rate my memory has been deteriorating, I'll need a brain transplant someday very soon.

Charles Metz

Oh, and to answer a previous question ...

If the F2F and F3F drawings in Aircraft in Action No. 160 can be trusted, two of those additional wing ribs should be added inboard of the inter-wing struts on each side, whereas one should be added outboard of the inter-wing struts on each side. Wouldn'tcha know they'd do it the hard way?

Charles Metz

One note on Rato's drawing:

The drawings show the aerilon as being a bit longer than the kit. What is odd is the drawing shows this aerilon as stopping between two ribs. Structurally, that would be odd. The aerilon really should be tight between two ribs. At least, that would make for the strongest construction. I have no idea whether the drawing has the ribs incorrectly spaced or the aerilon drawn to the wrong size, but it would be something to look into before mimicing it on a model.

Thank you for the clarification about the wing extension correction being needed on both the inboard outboard wing sections Dr. Metz. 4 extensions needed on each wing makes the correction a little more difficult, but I think I'll try it anyway.

I found the drawings in the Squadron book, but I'm not sure what scale they are. If they're 1/48th scale, I know I need to enlarge them by 150%. If they're in a different scale, I need help figuring out the enlargement %. My problem is complicated by the fact that I don't actually have to kit to measure against since it hasn't been delivered yet. Sorry I have to ask for more help for a dumb question. Thanks everyone.