Roden DRI

Hi All,

Here's a few Pics of my Triplane build. I'll start with the engine.

This has to be the best rotary engine I've seen. I sprayed it silver and

then put a black wash over the cylinders. I picked the inlet tubes out with a mix of brass, brown and copper.

Painted the plugs off white and touched the wires with copper.

post-4-1115551248.jpg

Here is a view of the assembled cockpit. I elected to build this outside the fuselage so I could rig the last

bay as per the real aircraft. I changed the pressure pump mount to a 45deg angle as with other Fokker aircraft. I added a compass dial and rev counter to the starboard side. Both rev counter and pump were "plumbed" in. I added the other leaver to the throttle lever on the port side as well as the push rods. To the control stick I added the bowden cables for the guns and aux throttle. All controll wires are fitted to the rudded and stick.

post-4-1115552069.jpg

Heres the last cockpit picture. I painted the frame RLM02 as this was a best guess. The colour could be a lighter grey and a picture that I have of a partially stripped airframe shows the longerons to be grey, the square frames are black - so take your pick. I simulated the wood by painting it light brown and then dragging a darker brown over it to simulate the grain. Then I paint it with a clear yellow to give the varnished appearance.

post-4-1115552589.jpg

One of the the few things missed by the kit are the wooden fairings that run down the sides of the fuselage to transition the shape from round cowling to square fuselage behind the cockpit. This was presnt on the DVI and DVIII so its a bit surprising. I made these with 10thou card and 10 thou strips. This was painted as described. I used Polyscale off white to represent the linen fabric. This was doped before the external paint was applied so there would be little if any bleed through.

post-4-1115553028.jpg

Here is a closer shot of one of the fuselage halves. I added rigging wires to the bay behind the cockpit because they will just be visible. that all I've got for now but I'll post more when got further.

post-4-1115553191.jpg

Nice Tim! Your engine looks great! do you get the oberusel and Le Rhone in this kit?I am suprised they missed the ply panels ;you did a good job adding them. what paint have you decided on? The Fokking paint can be a bear- always good to see someones approach to the streaky look. I must get.... this ... kit!

Hi Timbo, this is looking really, really nice mate!

The rigging looks to be perfect, the engine has come up amazingly, and your simulation of the wood grain is right on the money. Can't wait to see you next installment!

Thanks for sharing your work,

Ango.

Hi Mike,

You only get the Oberusel in the kit. But is is great. The kit comes with four schemes. The one for Kempf is wrong in that the white lettering is outlined in black and the "K" for the fuselage looks to be to big. Pity as I would like to do that scheme. The all black scheme with the devil's head should have a Clerget and Sopwith prop fitted. I have a good picture of the Von Richthofen Tripe and think the red upper wing, cowl and tail would look great. The last is a Udet bird that looks to be a masking nightmare - Life's too short (at present anyway). I plan to paint the underside RLM 78? (Desert blue) I may add a little green to get it more turquoise. Other than that I will paint it overall "Dirty white" and then streak with Fokker green (Polyscale paints) I'll mask out the cross fields and then over spray the red lightly - trying for the translucent look so the differing shades of the camouflage show through.

Saso,

I just use a quick burst of the Tamiya TS17 Aluminium spray can. This is a tough finish that takes washes and other paints. It also means that I dont have to set up the airbrush.

Cheers

Great work, Tim, I am learning alot. I bought this kit also but I really know very little about the WWI stuff.

However, the kit looked so nice I couldn't resist!!

Tim, You may try to add a little yellow to your base to get a doped linen color. I use the humbrol paint and the "Linen" has a definite tint. Are you going to do Mv.R's famous 152/17? This bird had red upper wing,cowl,tail plane and interplane struts(all) the U/C was possibly painted as well inc. the winglet. You are spot on adding some green to "turquoise " the underside paint;FWIW the dope was applied at an angle(45*?) on the wings. The turquoise ref(methuan) is 25cs and the FS ref. is 2424 The Barons' bro. also flew a Tripe and his colors were yellow(his original dragoon reg't) painted in the samestyle - wings,cowl,ETC. you would also be correct painting the cross patee' with thin white borders, and then overpainting with balken kruez-allowing the edges of the cross patee to show thru. :rolleyes: IF you are not doing M.V R's 152/17- nevermind. <_<

Agree with all -- that's looking very good indeed! Can hardly wait to see more!

This kit has been reviewed to death, but very few builds; you'll be one of the pioneers!