TAMIYA corsair

misha71

Hello dear modelers.

Finally I start my build for this magnificent plane and model. pictures i will post today or tomorrow.

Firs i want to say some words what i am planning to make.

My bird will be with folded wings and two color scheme, with engine exposed.

I have eduard photoeched sets and brassin wheels and engine.

also baracuda engine upgrade and cockpit stencils.

Now about eduard. the quality of casting for brassin sets is almost perfect. wheels are simply beautifull.  But for engine I have mixed feeling.

the top section of the cowling is very nice with internal details, so i can say about whole engine.

but for side covers there is unacceptable error and ironically for photoeched engine set eduard made these  parts correct. i will post pictures what i mean. also I don't like cowling flaps. at first glance this detail is very fine but for me it is too thick. when you look at real aircraft photos they are so thin. And I think these thin details are why we preffer often photoeched parts.

also inside details for opening mechanism doesn't  look good for me. eduard has nice photoeched set for this and they could simply add that in brassin set instead of casting them. So now i am thinking about solution how to thin them enough. 

Now about photoeched parts:

First glance was Wow, beautiful. But soon it changed with disappointment.

This set does not present early corsair. most part it seems will be useful for 1a version.

Same is for color interior. Dashboard is not for birdcage and quality is very bad of painting. instrument faces are hardly visible. I have old set for trumpeter corsair and at least painting is very nice and details more for early corsair. :mental: 

It seems they hurry to bring sets asap for sale and research is very limited.

i will show in pictures for your reference.

Exterior detail i think will be useful, at least most of them.

For Baracuda everything looks nice except  instruction paper where you see only later corsair.

Contrary to eduard Tamiya cockpit details are mostly correct and very nicely done. some scratch-building here and there and you can get perfect cockpit.

Now i am fighting against pin marks.

Hope you will enjoy mu build and this info will be useful for mates who are planing to start corsairs.

Edited by misha71

here you can see pictures of real cowl panel and aduard photoeched part. they look like each other. note pointed area.

real panel

1.jpg

eduard photoeched 

05-1.jpg

and brassin

3-1.jpg

you can see difference clearly. brassin part does not has that flat edges on the sides. very pity as the part is very nicely cast.  

Edited by misha71

Guest Peterpools

Misha

I'm right with Pascal and it's great to have another Corsair build going. I'm just starting and planning on heading in the same direction as you.

Looking forward to following your build and thanks for joining the party

Peter

filling pin marks 

IMAG1158Copy.jpg

All control surfaces are glued together. some sending and filling is still required.

IMAG1153Copy.jpgIMAG1151Copy.jpg

I made holes here and then will use Eduard photoeched parts.

IMAG1161Copy.jpg

removed seat mounting brackets from the rear armor plate. i will make new ones by scratch.

I am looking at your build with great pleasure too Peter. As many works more good ideas will born.

I removed switching knobs on the side panels and first marked and then drilled with 0,3mm drill bit. i will make them with fine wire and will add in different positions. I don't like that straight look. also I am going to reduce in height red knobs.

IMAG1162Copy-1.jpg

I cut this part in two peaces. it is much convenient to work with them separately.

IMAG1168Copy.jpg

Sorry for pure quality pics. I used my mobile.

I will bring good camera tomorrow and will take better pictures.

more will come soon.

Cheers Misha

Guest Peterpools

Misha

You sure are on a tare and making some super progress. I'm holding off on the side consoles until my Eduard sets arrive, so I can see how I want to use them. I'm planning on keeping my Corsair on the clean side but showing signs of being Used but not Abused.

I really like the PE details for the inside of the cowling but for me, I would only be using a few parts of the engine set and am not sure the expense is the way to go. I am tinkering with the idea of scratching out those details but that's way down the road for me.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you for looking.

peter i think tamiya cockpit is much beter and correct than eduard. Quality of my color eduard is awuful. And most details are useles for early corsair. I am really very disapointed.

Edited by misha71