XS-Models Hughes H-1

LSP_Kevin

This is really cool! I've thought about doing the Hughes H-1 for awhile, but will probably do the 1/48 version.

About the gloss black, I've always found model Master enamel to work well, but lots of guys have success with Krylon spray-paint. They say that works well. You can polish it up, but the Alclad will need something to key into, so it can't be like glass, or else you run the risk of paint peeling.

Keep up the great work! You're going to burn through this one.

Matt :party0023:

Thanks Matt. I'll probably do a test on a paint mule first. The only shade of Alclad I have at the moment is Airframe Aluminum, but I suspect I'll need something more highly-polished-looking than that. What's a recommended shade?

Kev

Regarding the figure, I highly recommend Kings Road. They not only have Howard Hughes, they have Lindberg, Earheart, Doolittle and Bill Hopson (the original "Bum Pilot" in his own words). Nicely made, but not cheap at $25 each.

You can even get Buster Crabbe as Flash Gordon, assuming you could find his ship in 1/32, but it wasn't actually a "plane". Gotta love the strings that it hung on, wobbling back and forth, with smoke going up and ashes falling down out of the rocket nozzle as it flew by.... the best special effects that the 1930's could buy.

I am just happy to see the Hughes racer going ahead. Thanks for posting.

Tnarg

I think Planet Models did the 1/48 version in resin. There was also an amazing series of 1/48 racers (Schneiders mostly) by atelier noix, but they've been out of production for a long time. They had both long and short wing Hughes racers. I recall that they cost about $100 when they weren't even rare kits.

Tnarg

I forget to ask: who does a 1/48 version?

Kev

Hey Kevin. Planet Models does both a short and long wing version of the H-1 in 1/48. The airframe aluminum you have should actually do great over a gloss black base, since the gloss will make the Alclad even shinier. If all else fails, you can put a light coat of Future over it. But I think you should do fine with that shade. I think the plane was mostly in one color of metal, so no need to do multiple shades.

Keep up the amazing work!

Hey Kevin. Planet Models does both a short and long wing version of the H-1 in 1/48. The airframe aluminum you have should actually do great over a gloss black base, since the gloss will make the Alclad even shinier. If all else fails, you can put a light coat of Future over it. But I think you should do fine with that shade. I think the plane was mostly in one color of metal, so no need to do multiple shades.

Keep up the amazing work!

OK, thanks Matt. Like I said, I'll do a test first and get a feel for how it's going to look.

XS-Models does the long-wing version too, just in case anybody wants that version in 1/32. AFAIK, the only difference is the main wing assembly.

Kev

OK, thanks Matt. Like I said, I'll do a test first and get a feel for how it's going to look.

XS-Models does the long-wing version too, just in case anybody wants that version in 1/32. AFAIK, the only difference is the main wing assembly.

Kev

I think you're right. I believe that the wing is the only difference between the two versions. I wonder how much these two kits run? The Planet Model ones are around 50.

The King Road figure ?

I can only highly recomand it, it's really a top class metal figure !!!

'comes in a tiny classy tin box… that may not help with the price… but if you take any other figures top brand, King Roak is in the same range.

BTW, I would suggest you to test first the Araldite... I had some bad experience (OK, on RC models)... once dry, it became extemely hard and broke almos like glass... and the boond was not what was expected at all (once again, on fiberglass, but resin might be even harder to bond strongly...)

Are you sure the kit was this much ???

PS. 'hope the link will work this time by Email ;)

The King Road figure ?

I can only highly recomand it, it's really a top class metal figure !!!

'comes in a tiny classy tin box… that may not help with the price… but if you take any other figures top brand, King Roak is in the same range.

Good to know - thank you Roland! I will order it once I can afford it (yes, even $25 + postage is a strain at the moment!).

BTW, I would suggest you to test first the Araldite... I had some bad experience (OK, on RC models)... once dry, it became extemely hard and broke almos like glass... and the boond was not what was expected at all (once again, on fiberglass, but resin might be even harder to bond strongly...)

That's interesting. I've not had that experience before, but I have had the experience of the bond with Araldite not being as strong as I expected (or experienced previously). Perhaps there's a better brand about?

Are you sure the kit was this much ???

Er, no! :whistle: Mine's a review sample, so I'm trying to remember the price from a list I saw somewhere once.

PS. 'hope the link will work this time by Email ;)

Yep - downloading now! :thumbsup:

Kev