1/32 Trumpeter P-40B..Going Dark

fightnjoe

• 2 weeks later...
After a couple of weeks of nothing here I am again.

Where to begin?  

First up is to mock up the firewall, cockpit floor, and bulkhead #6 which is the aft bulkhead of the cockpit.

A touch of modification as the cockpit floor is actually the top of the wing.  Trumpeter actually has this much too high in the pit.  A piece of strip on the back of the firewall will help in position.  Two strips of styrene glued as a cross section of the pit floor will help as well.  An extension is needed on the aft bulkhead to get it to match up to the floor.

Cockpit-1_zpscdszz6fb.jpg

Work is begun on the bulkheads aft the pit.  This begins with getting the shape with a contour guage, tracing the shape to paper, rough fitting to the interior of the fuselage side, tracing to a piece of sheet styrene, cutting it out, sanding to shape.  Easy enough.  These are just a rough cut of the bulkheads, there is much detailing to do yet to these.

Bulkheads_zpsqw1y7y4r.jpg

They are roughed and ready.  I have now the bulkheads #7 to #14 which puts them to the tail wheel.  

Next up will be to work on the wing.  This will be the first of the cutting and reconstruction.  Have not even scratched the surface yet.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are welcome.

Joe

To keep in line with how I want to present this I bring to you a small update.  

Prior to cutting any holes in the wing or fuselage I made some rough bulkheads.  One of the latest sessions saw the use of Dremmel and knives to cut away sections of the fuselage.

First uncut.

Uncut-1_zpsmh0w5fuz.jpg

Uncut-2_zpsjlth8tzy.jpg

Then after a bit of time, the cuts.

Cuts-1_zps964ilezj.jpg

Some little stuff was accomplished prior to the cutting as well.  I have some frames roughed for the wing.

Wing-1_zpsmklr27gp.jpg

Wing-2_zpsa6mj3czy.jpg

Now after the cutting and grinding was done I test fit the roughed bulkheads and found that several were much too small.  So much for measure twice and cut once.  My next step is to redo the bulkheads.  I also need to work a bit on the pit floor to extend it to the back of the wing root.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe