Hs-129 B3

Dukie99

Dan, Matt, Thomas, thank you for the encouragement. Small update tonight, I faired over the lower gun position and started detailing the nose. There is no rivets on the kit surface and I have not been able to find any riveting plan for this airframe. There are however some good pictures of the nose with some striking details, which I will try to reproduce. First off all the prominent cruciform screws on the nose and side:

IMG_0715-L.jpg

Should look OK under a coat of paint. Based on that picture:

IMG_0716-L.jpg

I realize looking at the picture that I should have added more screws, they are too far appart. We'll see if I add more.

Tomorrow I will apply some welding mark on the nose using Archer resin decals. More progress soon.

Cheers,

David

Gaz, Mark, John, thank you for the kind words. Very little has been achieved this week, all work and no play. I have just been able to continue detailing the nose with some weld mark decals. Should look good under a coat of paint.

IMG_0717-L.jpg

IMG_0680-L.jpg.

I am debating whether to rivet the whole thing or not. I have no rivet pattern for the whole aircraft, just a few close up pictures of certain areas, so at best it will be simple guesswork. The other issue is that on some areas of the fuselage the resin is wafer thin so on the fuselage riveting will be done with resin decals. I think John punched through the fuselage when riveting his B2, so I want to avoid that. For the wings Rosie the riveter could be used but I never had a lot of success using it. I could use Hgw rivets on the wings but I am concerned that when it come to paint, with the masking for the camouflage and potentially the markings, rivets decals will come off with the masking tape. I am just tempted to rivet only certain prominent details such as the joinder between the engine and the top of the wing and some of the armor plating on the fuselage but otherwise leave it clean. Any thoughts? Anybody has experience with the hgw rivets?

Cheers,

David

David,

You are correct. I did punch through the side of the fuselage while riveting. I just looked at a photo I have of that hole and it was about two inches behind the cockpit, or straight up from the front of the cannon blister, near the spine. However, that was with a jeweler's punch. If you are using a rivet wheel, it's probably less likely to happen, but I would approach it with caution. As for the rivet pattern, I ran into the same trouble. If I recall, I focused on the areas that I could verify by photograph and "fudged" some other spots based on a couple of artist's profiles. While I did rivet the whole fuselage, I only went along the panel lines on the wings, where it seemed reasonable that they would be riveted to the structure beneath them. Most photos that I've seen of the wing surfaces aren't very revealing with regards to the rivets.

I'm sure that all the photos from my build are now in photobucket prison, but if you want to see anything I did, just let me know and I can PM you the photos. It would be a good excuse for me to upload those pics to my new host site and to update the threads, as well. I have no plans to do that for all of my builds, but there are a couple that I think would be worth the effort and the Henschel is one of my all time favorites, so maybe I should!

Again, she's looking great. Keep up the good work!

John

John, thank you. I followed your build at the time and my ends up half as good as yours I will be happy. I got the idea of the metalworks details and resin weld lines from your build. I finally decided to use some resin decals for the rivets on the fuselage and I have also used some resin individual rivets on some prominent parts. Not 100% accurate but it should look the part. For the wings I will try my hands at the Hgw rivets and see how they turn out. That's where she stands now. Getting closer to the painting stage.

IMG_0720-L.jpg

IMG_0722-L.jpg

IMG_0721-L.jpg

Thank you for following this build.

Cheers,

David

Hi Mark, these are actually not Hgw rivets, they are Micromark resin rivet (initially designed for railroad models) and these rivets are on a decal film which remains but responds well to Solvaset, so hopefully you will not see anything under a coat of paint. I will know in a few days. The Hgw rivets look much more restrained on the sheet so I thought I would use them on the wings, but I looking for something a bit more industrial looking for the fuselage. You are correct the holding decal has to be peeled off after application for the Hgw rivets, leaving only the rivets. I will try to do the riveting of the wings tomorrow.

Cheers,

David

Thanks guys for the kind words. I have to admit doing all this riveting is very tedious, it looks nice but that's just not my favorite part of modelling. Anyway, I decided I needed a break from the rivets so I decided to do the masking of the main markings on the fuselage. The decals which comes with the B-3 is actually the same sheet as the B2 so no real incentive to use it (except for the stencils). So I decided to represent the only operational B3 for which there is photographic evidence (2 pictures):

IMG_0726-L.jpg

IMG_0727-L.jpg

From these pictures, it is not possible to see all the markings but at least you get a good view of the swastika, the serial number and the side cross. You can also see the yellow fuselage band, yellow nose and white spinners. What you cannot see is the individual letter on the fuselage. Based on my research the staffel to which this bird belonged would have used either red or blue. I used red purely for visual interest and picked the letter E just because... All the masking is done with Maketar masks.

IMG_0725-L.jpg

Now on to rivet the wings with HGW rivets.

Till next time.

Cheers,

David

Looking good, David!

If I may offer my opinion; close review of the photo would suggest to me that the spinners on that bird were black (or possibly RLM 70) with a white spiral. The snow has covered most of the surface and the muzzle brake is obscuring the view of the starboard spinner. That's my take, anyway. (EDIT: I would have to peel through my references to check and see if I could find more info. I no longer have the Classic "Panzerjager!" book, but they have a pretty comprehensive list of details on individual aircraft, by Wk. Nr. that may be useful here, as well. Now I see you have the book!).

Keep up the great work!

John

EDIT #2: Found another pic!

129B-3.jpg

Edited by mywifehatesmodels