21st Century Bf-109 F

spacewolf

ok, so I finally got started. I'm spending as much time figuring out how to post pictures as I am on the model !! I hope it works. So, 21st Century Bf-109 F ..a great kit, specially for the price. I started on the cockpit, wire for the front half of the fuel line and Tamiya, Vallejo. and Citadel paint. Toe straps and seat belts are next.

post-2514-1253509611.jpg

With the cockpit out of the way I assembled the prop and spinner, just a slight bit of putty needed at the spinner/ hub join. The cannon was drilled open. I brush painted with Tamiya black green and semi gloss black. Once that was done the cowl was glued onto the port fuse half and the screw holes on the side filled with plastic disks. Seams were filled with Canadian Tire automotive putty and sanded down. There is a bit of a 'step' at the front of the cowl but the putty feathers it in nicely.

post-2514-1253672603.jpg

I decided to go for a bit more detail and drop the flaps, not just slap the kit together. Strips were cut from sheet plastic and glued to the lower wing to support the top wing. Cutting off the flaps is under way.

post-2514-1253673083.jpg

Making parts is slowing the build but stretching my skills is a blast. A bit of grooved plastic, some wire stripped from an electrical cord and some super glue, a bit of paint and there ya go ! I actually find it easier to scratch build parts rather than trying to modify something 'close'. The fact that the grooved plastic was just about perfect was a gift... :huh:

So, made all four radiator faces and started boxing them in.

post-2514-1253759432.jpg

post-2514-1253759459.jpg

Not a lot of progress today, gathering pics and info off the net and located a set of Edward seat belts for the build.

My SI-FI/ Halo buddy Steve is making custom decals for the build.Those who are interested can see some his work here; http://msfm.seryan.com/stephen_l.htm

I scribed in the fuel access port and the other access panel using a home made template and a needle chucked into a hobby knife handle. I'm using putty to fill the other panels which are wrong for this bird.

post-2514-1253872161.jpg

post-2514-1253872198.jpg

Heey Spacewolf! WOW, I've visited that site before! Niiiice starship models. I was making the 1/350scale Polar lights Enterprise and looking for references. Cool stuff.

Can't exactly remember the story behind the red '109. Wasn't it about the WW1 pilots getting together (I was a BIG fan of 'Enemy Ace') and fighting in WW2? Kind of an 'Enemy Ace' sequel? I always thoguht the black/white checkered Spad with the pilot 'Hangman' with sack over his head, and a cut-off noose around his neck was pretty tough. Amongst others. :lol:

Doing a great job with this build-up dude. Man, can't believe 21st Century got their spinner better than the Hasegawa. I'm going to be building Richthofens all-red triplane in this GB, so I can't wait to see how yours turns out! Model On! Later, Russ