Trumpeter P-38L Lightning

Adrian A.

Howdy Adrian! :rolleyes: Great work so far,....I like it! :P I never saw the build with 28 Canadian pennies for weights, but I know Ironwing45 (Dave) did a NMF build in what WAS the Members Builds. I also made one of these as a 'twin-tailed dragon' in the 10th Anniversary Build. Think I ended up using 47 pennies i the nose/engine area,....but I didn't install my engines. It's so cool how 10 people will build this kit 10 different ways, and still come out with a P-38! :P I heard horror stories about this kit, but I loved it! You're right, it's like building 2 airplanes in one; what with the parts count and all. heh heh.

I ended up using the Revell props also, just because I happened to have an extra kit. Doesn't JRutman have a set of props for this? I didn't try reshaping the Trump props, but I think it might be doable? Really enjoying following along with this build, as I have fond memories of the one I did. I couldn't put it down,....and ended up building it in 2 weeks. ;) Lotsa fun!

Looking forward to the next progress pics. Looking Goooood man! Later, Russ

Interesting, the Revell props are considered better. I would also recommend contacting Jerry Rutman. I just purchased some P-38 parts from him recently. Also, I have a copy of the PYN-UP decals for Marge. Now I'm wondering if my 3 Revell kits are enough. Good deals show up on eBay from time to time.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate them.

I really needed to hurry that first day or two Dave. I had a couple of free days & the time was right. Unfortunately things will slow down just a bit from here on out, but I wanted to get as much done that first day as I could. It helped that I had almost all of those parts already painted also.

Thanks Hakan, I appreciate it. I'll be posting a few tonight. After that, It's on to the cockpit so it'll be a few days before I post any more.

Yeh, Rocky, I wanted to jump start this beast to try to get a bit of momentum on it so I couldn't put it away for a while.

Thanks a heep Russ, I loved your twin tailed Dragon build. I had heard a few horror stories on the kit myself and so far it's just about falling together - of course I got a good ways to go yet. I'll have to research the penny comment to see which one it was, I'm not really sure. I'm feeling like you, I just couldn't put it down those first two days and it's been calling to me from the bench every since. I'm really enjoying this build also. No pressure, just having a blast!

Thanks for the comments John. I'll post a pic of the Trump props here in a bit. They are just misshapen - they don't even look like P-38 props AT ALL. I wonder how they could get so many details right and just blow it on the props. It's a mystery, man!

The first spic for tonight is where I left off. I test fitted the wheel bay & engine in the boom. Quite a bit of a problem with fit at first with the wheel well.

post-177-1253676455.jpg

The fix was simple tho, it was an injector pin nub on the mounting surface. Trime & filed and the fit was much better, although not as perfect as I hoped.

A little bit of persuasion & it fit pretty well in the end.

post-177-1253676874.jpg

After glueing the boom together, I started the clean up on the other boom to get it ready. I encountered another example of what must be a mold release agent = this model is full of it. This piece had already been washed once and needed another bath tonight before I started working on it.

post-177-1253677305.jpg

Except for the gap in the wheel well on the first boom and a locator/alignment pin on the engine on the second boom, the fit was really tight. As I mentioned before the booms nearly fell together.

All I'll need to do is minimum clean up and very minimum filler and the boom seems will be a done deal.

post-177-1253677660.jpg

Both booms together. The turbos and scoop still need to be mounted but I'll do that after I take the rubber bands off tomorrow.

One other spot to look out for if your planning to build this kit is the tail of the boom inside the rudders. Check them or they may not be seated properly. I nearly had an issue there but caught it in time.

post-177-1253677966.jpg

Last pic of the night is of the Trump props that I mentioned to John.

As you can see this prop is just plain wrong. It doesn't even look close. As I said earlier, it's amazing they can do so many thing right and then get the props so wrong.

I think I'll probably give Jerry some business for a set of his props - I just can't put the Trump ones on.

Thanks for looking in!

Adrian A.

post-177-1253678310.jpg