Bf 109F - Revell 1/32

Azgaron

Hakan, I with you on the scratch building - it really intimidated me also (still does) butit REALLY feels great when you finally get that scratch area finished.

I don't know about being hooked like Derek mentioned, but I look at things in a bit of a different light now - how can I improve it a bit always comes to mind when looking at a wheel well or cockpit or.....

Looking good man, keep up the great work - I loved the exhausts!

Adrian

Thanks! :)

Hooked, well maybe! :) I've just started out in this new world of scratch building, and so far only made minor things, but as you say Adrian, it's very fun when you manage to finish the thing you're working with!

Still feel I'm lackíng some tools of the trade, like a good riveter, and scribing templates!

Working with tire detail and a firewall!

I opened my old frog/hasegawa kits just to have a look, but they wheren't better than this kit! I might do a Russ, and start a few more Bf 109's just for fun! ;)

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks! :)

Hooked, well maybe! :) I've just started out in this new world of scratch building, and so far only made minor things, but as you say Adrian, it's very fun when you manage to finish the thing you're working with!

Still feel I'm lackíng some tools of the trade, like a good riveter, and scribing templates!

Working with tire detail and a firewall!

I opened my old frog/hasegawa kits just to have a look, but they wheren't better than this kit! I might do a Russ, and start a few more Bf 109's just for fun! ;)

Cheers,

Håkan

Adrian, Håkan,

A lifetimes journey starts with but one step - You will expand your tools as your experience and finances allow. Even now, I still only use the very basic everyday modelling tools (like most other modellers use) to produce all my scratch built items. I have no power tools or special equipment - I use mostly knives, saws, filler/putty, files and sanding materials to produce my patterns ;)

Cheers

Derek

Jumping from one part to another! ;)

I found drawings of the Bf 109F at 109 lair, cut out the tail, and resized them to fit the kit size, not the scale size as I perhaps should have!

Anyway I put the kit parts on the pics I printed out!

First the top view with the elevator!

bf_109f_elevator_comparasion_1_640x480.jpg

The front part of the fin fits nicely!

bf_109f_elevator_comparasion_2_640x480.jpg

but the elevator is too wide, has the wrong shape, and the trim? is positioned wrong!

bf_109f_elevator_comparasion_3_640x480.jpg

Also there's no detail either!

I did the same with the left view of the tail!

bf_109f_tail_comparasion_640x480.jpg

Looks like it'll need some extra material to fit the shape, and some detailing too!

On the E version kits that I have, the rudder and elevator have pattern that I guess is supposed to look like fabric, but I can't tell (by looking at pics) if the F version should have that too. It looks like there are some "seams" above the frame, but the material looks smooth (hard to tell)!

I'm thinking of just adding the seams and accentuate the underlaying frame with some clever painting! ;)

I haven't figured what to do with the rather large hinges yet!

Cheers,

Håkan

Scratch building is where it's at ! Thankfully those old kits give you lots of plastic to work with and if you screw up a part you can usually get a replacement from a fellow modeler. :rolleyes:

I'd fill the hinge openings and use thin strips of plastic for the ribbing. Sanded down they would look good. Most kits go wayyy overboard with rib stitching and tapes.

Here are some links to the real thing.

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/1...w/10639dw16.jpg

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/1...w/10639dw17.jpg

Beautiful shots of the rib stitching and tapes. I tried resizing them but my program wont let me so I sent the links. The 109 Lair is a Godsend for detail !!

Thanks Derek and Aurora-7! :lol:

Although I didn't do a thorough search, I didn't find any replacement parts for the exhaust pipes, so I might as well do it myself and save the money! ;)

I usually don't mind using pilots, but this time I think I'll do without!

Quite some work to modify the pilot, but doable I guess! Revell old figures are pretty ugly, and looks even worse on the instructions, where it looks like an orc! :)

Cheers,

Håkan

I'm not going to be using the pilot from my 21st Century kit, you want him, I'll drop him in the mail to you.

post-2514-1254256563.jpg

Thanks for the links and pics Spacewolf!

Thanks for the great offer too! I recognize the pilot with two left arms! :lol:

Will need some major surgery though! :)

Wasn't it Aurora-7 who was in need of a pilot?

If he don't want it I'll gladly take it!

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks for the links and pics Spacewolf!

Thanks for the great offer too! I recognize the pilot with two left arms! :lol:

Will need some major surgery though! :)

Wasn't it Aurora-7 who was in need of a pilot?

If he don't want it I'll gladly take it!

Cheers,

Håkan

You are most welcome, the info is great one that site. The rib stitching and tape detail in those pics are the best you can get without having the aircraft itself in your back yard for ref ! The pilot figure in my kit has both of the proper arms so surgery bills are something you don't need to worry about ;) . PM me with your address and I'll pop it in the mail for you. If someone else needs one I think I've got another here somewhere.

Cheers

Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn! :P

Sounds good to hear that he has proper arms, as he hasn't in the pic! :)

I'll send you a PM right away!

Cheers,

Håkan

The pic was copied from 'another site' and other than the wrong arm it's a great shot of the figure, what one reviewer called "the best injection molded figure I've ever seen".... It'll be off to you tomorrow.

Cheers

Vaughn

Small update! :D

I assembled one of the elevators, and did some engraving in the stabilizer. I also made my first attempt with the "stitches" on the elevator!

bf_109f_molders_elevator_seam_1_640x480.jpg

It was hard to get a god pic, but I hope it shows!

I need to narrow the stitches down a bit and sand them too, once dryed properly!

I've also changed the shape of the curve a little, made it rounder. I will cover the hinges too later!

Cheers,

Håkan

Nice work. If I recall correctly, the outer panel line on the horizontal stab was taped over. I saw some pictures that Radu had posted some time ago. I made a mental note for my next 109, I just lost it though. :D

Or was it the inner panel line. Grrrrrrrrrr.